Are Thais afraid of water?

cooked

OK, maybe this should be in the pub and entertainment forum, or even the Isaan forum, time will tell.

I have twice now taken Isaan family members to the beach (Koh Samet) or to a waterfall (Choe Son). With the exception of my granddaughter these big guys refuse to get more than their toes wet and even that seems to be verging on an extreme sport with them. Seems a lot of effort for nothing. I have seen all of them go into our fish pond to drag out the vegetation (up to their chests) and then catch fish when the water has been pumped out.

Maybe I am asking the wrong question... I am the guy that worked out why Thais don't use roof racks but this one has me completely bamboozled.

You are speaking about the Issan Thais, that lots of them haven't seen the sea in their lives.

Yes, it is the unknown to them and are afraid to go in that big pool of water thats called sea.

Most of them also don't know how to swim.

I do believe Thais that live in the islands or near the sea love going into it as much as I do.

• Like 1

Many older Thais simply can not swim (especially those "inland").

The sea is deeper than a fishpond biggrin.png

Terrible number of drowned children and adults.

Fortunately the grandkids here have learnt to swim and last year were happy in the hotel pool.

But: no swimming in the sea.

But seriously: who goes swimming in Jomtien cheesy.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thai people from Bangkok love the sea ; I see them every week end ! Most of them can't swim, so they don't go far or they use life ring

Before I come here, I thought too they don't like water, but now I have changed my mind : hundreds of them in the water , they love banana boats, too

Can only speak for my extended family - but can't keep them out of the water at rivers, waterfalls, and the sea.....

At home they love the pool when they go in but only use it every so often - they also swim at their school.....

I think it depends on the age of the person especially if they come from an Issan village .

People older than say 40 have probably not had the opportunity or inclination to swim or ever been taught to and when I have been in the lakes net fishing with some of the men from the village have noticed that although they are not scared of the water they actually dont swim.

My Wan has lived in the UK and never wanted to go swimming her sister lives in Hervey bay OZ for the last 12 years with beautiful beaches and swimming pools but is also not happy with water that comes up any higher then her chest, maybe it's a cultural thing in that with a busy working fifestyle the Thai villagers dont get an option for swimming. I think in Wans case she was once pushed into a lake and felt she was drowning which probably accounts for her fear of water

Wan and I like to go to Ban Amphur beach for a meal and just to enjoy the sea breeze but the number of unattended young kids makes me shudder especially after last year witnessing the drowning of a young lad, we were devastated at such a waste of a young life and it was many months before we went there again.

In fact t maybe a good thing mentioning this sad occurrence because those of us with kids and grandkids should be well aware of the dangerous waters around these shores and not be complacent.

Edited by n210mp

What would happen if every Farang in Thailand taught a Thai kid to swim, OK maybe half of all the Farangs in Thailand, think of how many lives would be saved. I am currently in Aust ATM and am glad I have taught all the kids in my family how to swim. You don't have to be able to swim 100 meters yourself, just teach a kid how to save themselves. When I visited Thailand last year a young boy across the road from where I was staying drowned in a pond. I make it a point that each time I visit I try to teach a couple of kids to swim at the local hotel pool. Give it a go.

• Like 1

You are speaking about the Issan Thais, that lots of them haven't seen the sea in their lives.

Yes, it is the unknown to them and are afraid to go in that big pool of water thats called sea.

Most of them also don't know how to swim.

I do believe Thais that live in the islands or near the sea love going into it as much as I do.

They would probably not make as large a splash when entering the water as you though Costas,but you are right they can swim like fish,on the coast,in my opinion you wont get a splay footed issan pole dancer anywhere near the ocean,but hey,after your move to sin city,you can let us know.

• Like 1

My Issan wife just loves to swim she did not know how to swim until I showed her at my hotel pool many years ago and she took to it like a fish to water I think she has now developed her own style straight up the centre of the pool like a splashing torpedo and barges everyone out of the way she likes to walk up a pool so she knows when it goes out of her depth usually around the shallow end.

My Issan wife just loves to swim she did not know how to swim until I showed her at my hotel pool many years ago and she took to it like a fish to water I think she has now developed her own style straight up the centre of the pool like a splashing torpedo and barges everyone out of the way she likes to walk up a pool so she knows when it goes out of her depth usually around the shallow end.

I presume you held her,as she learned those,ahem,first few different strokes.

I was just talking to my GF yesterday about this subject and she said that when she grew up she and all her siblings learnt how to swim in all the local watering holes and rice canals when foraging for food and fish and frogs etc.. She then went on to say that most kids in the villages may not learn how to swim nowdays because they don't go out looking for food in the water as much or they are at home on their phones and tablets.