Suvarnabhumi taxis threaten to protest Friday

Thaivisa News

Samut Prakan:- Drivers of over 1,700 taxis at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport threatened to stage three-day protests on Friday to demand baggage fee and higher surcharge.

The threat was raised by Patthawee Meeraj, a representative of the taxi drivers at the airport.

Patthawee said over 1,700 drivers of mini-van taxis at the Suvarnabhumi airport would stop picking up passengers at the airport from Friday to Sunday to highlight their demands.

Patthawee said the taxi drivers of large-sized or mini-van taxies would like the Suvarnabhumi airport to allow them to charge passengers for their bags. They also want a higher surcharge because their taxis are larger and they can carry more bags than normal taxis.

Patthawee added that the drivers of the mini-van taxis also want the right to reject passengers who arrive in a group of more than four. Patthawee reasoned that the insurance policy for taxis does not cover accidents in case the taxis carry more than four passengers at a time.

Patthawee said the government should also increase the metered fare rates for taxis.

But Transport Minister ACM Prajin Juntong dismissed the threat of protest. Prajin said he has instructed the Suvarnabhumi airport to prepare other transport means for the passengers.

The airport was told to help passengers to use the service of the Airport Rail Link electric trains and the airport will also provide buses to transport passenger to certain spots where they can call taxis.

Prajin said the demands of the mini-van taxi drivers cannot be met now because a government committee studying the demands has not yet completed its study.

• Like 1

Simple, impose spot checks checking taxis have their meters running when they leave the airport, and also when they arrive.

Having a big taxi does not warrant charging extra unless a lot of passengers and baggage.

• Like 1

This is as simple as it is for taxis.......strike at Suvarnabhumi........

It will be interesting to see how this plays out........but no van taxis at the airport will make things out there very testy

Edited by ChrisY1

I don't get it why everyone seems to think this is unfair. They are talking about the bigger taxi's no surcharge for the smaller ones. Those bigger taxi's are more expensive to buy and to operate. Fair is fair besides if your alone you don't need one of those and you can make do with a smaller one.

So I am ok with this as long as its only for the bigger kind.

• Like 2

A baggage fee?

Why stop there?

What about a passenger fee?

A "going to the airport"-fee.

A 'taking-you-where-you -want -to-go"- fee!

A "pick- you-up-late-at-night"- fee?

For forks sake: you are TAXIS!

Baggage fee mein Arsch!

Please don't give them ideas...

Patthawee reasoned that the insurance policy for taxis does not cover accidents in case the taxis carry more than four passengers at a time.

If this is true taxis should not carry more than 4 passengers, not ask for a surcharge to overload their vehicles.

Drivers of over 1,700 taxis at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport threatened to stage three-day protests on Friday to demand baggage fee and higher surcharge.

Simply pull a Ronald Reagan on them, announce a special license to be issued on the first day of the strike. Any taxi without that license will no longer be welcome at the airport, strike over.

• Like 2

Min. of Transport halts taxi fare hike, airport taxis to go on strike

BANGKOK, 24 April 2015, (NNT) - The Transport Minister yesterday announced the suspension of the second taxi fare hike, especially for taxi surcharges at Suvarnabhumi International Airport. He added that an emergency strategy is prepared for this weekend’s airport taxi strike action.

Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong told news media that the ministry has decided to shelve the hike plan to conduct further studies. He believed that implementing a taxi hike now would have a large impact on the cost of living.

ACM Prajin has expected the ministry to resume price hikes of taxi fares as well as airport and baggage surcharges in June.

Regarding the planned strike of heavy-duty taxis at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the Transport Minister said that passengers would be redirected to the SRTET Airport Rail Link and other modes of public transportation, such as the free shuttle bus services.

About 1,700 heavy-duty taxi operators in Suvarnabhumi International Airport may join the weekend strike. They claimed the airport is forcing too many passengers on the taxis.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-24 footer_n.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Patthawee reasoned that the insurance policy for taxis does not cover accidents in case the taxis carry more than four passengers at a time.

If this is true taxis should not carry more than 4 passengers, not ask for a surcharge to overload their vehicles.

Drivers of over 1,700 taxis at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport threatened to stage three-day protests on Friday to demand baggage fee and higher surcharge.

Simply pull a Ronald Reagan on them, announce a special license to be issued on the first day of the strike. Any taxi without that license will no longer be welcome at the airport, strike over.

What a laugh, taxi operators suddenly talking about insurance.

I doubt whether many of them even understand the concept let alone the details of any insurance policies.

I just wonder how many taxis, all sizes plying the streets of Bangkok have any insurance other than the compulsory third party.

Then again fake insurance stickers have been around for 20 years or more that I'm aware of.

And I wonder how many LTO officials where registrations are renewed turn a blind eye (for a team money contribution) to proof of payment of insurance, including third party insurance (relating to owner/drivers)?

On the other hand are the taxi rental companies responsible for these insurances?.

I bet that in reality all of this is about as clear as mud.

Edited by scorecard

When did they bring in the new number system? Always worked fine before. Had a surly <deleted> the other week. Complained about my normal sized suitcase that wouldn't fit into his tinny boot. Of course he had no occy straps to close the lid, so I had to put main case and carry on into back seat. Luckily I was by my self.

They also want a higher surcharge because their taxis are larger and they can carry more bags than normal taxis.

Wouldn't that be a good idea for Thai Airways? We got bigger (empty) planes than Air Asia hence we increase the price.

And the powerful TAT stays put on this issue?

​Why not threaten any cabby to get his license revoked if he takes part in this hostage situation. There are thousands of unemployed Thais to take over their jobs.

Looks like the dear leader can't bring happiness to the people unless the greedy cabbies are happy.

Edited by Lupatria

I don't see why they just don't let the very low rates move up a bit. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a safe happy trip.

All that would result in is honest drivers getting more...fair enough. But the scumbags will continue to over charge regardless of the official rate.

And the honest drivers most likely won't be protesting. They're out on the roads doing their jobs. The only people that get into the airport van taxi service are the ones that want to make 1500 baht a day by doing the least amount of work possible i.e 2 or 3 trips

Edited by SABloke

I almost hesitate to use the dreaded "L" word (Logic) and combine it with that darkest of mysteries ... Math.

You see dear cab driver, there is a thing called averaging.

No all your fares have excess baggage, most have the weight allowed by the airlines, and a few filghts from Delhi have a mountain of baggage that would ... break a camel's back. (I hope we can agree that if you are going fishing at the airport, there will be baggage involved...yes?)

The point is, if you were to calculate all fares takes, and average weight per trip ... you might be surprised to find a realtively low number.

Look at the cabs for a while.

How many have a solo passanger? (Many)
How many have a pair of passangers? (Some)
How many have a 3 passangers? (Occassionally)
How many have a 4 passangers? (Rare)

How many involve luggage? A low percentage.

Now, if our dear friends do not enjoy the airport service, the downtown is calling !!

Oh ! You don't LIKE downtown driving! It is hard on the vehicle, frustrating, and often not really profiable in rush hour jams.

So .. if you want the gravy route, long rides on the expressway, AC running, music playing, a nice fat fare at the end, and for those smart enough to help with the bags and be pleasant company ... a fat tip at the end.

And where do many airport fares end up? Correct. Nice hotels,
And who do we find at hotels? Bingo! More customers!

And if you had a half a wit, you would get up early and get those inbound morning flights, so you were in queue at 11:00 AM for the ... you guessed it ! Check outs heading back the the airport!

Oh my .. logic and math ...

What am I thinking?

Signed,

Worked my way through college driving a cab.

Edited by Guest