For asylum seekers, a novel (and odd) solution: Cambodia

webfact

For asylum seekers, a novel (and odd) solution: Cambodia
By TODD PITMAN

BANGKOK (AP) — Still haunted by the Vietnam War next door and the 1970s genocide that followed, Cambodia is not exactly the place that the world's refugees dream of reaching.

Plagued by poverty, corruption and human rights abuses, it has been run by a strongman prime minister who has held power for 30 years. It's a nation where medical care outside main cities is nonexistent, where decent jobs are so scarce that more than 800,000 of its own people have left to find work abroad.

Yet when it comes to 700 asylum seekers detained on the remote Pacific Island nation of Nauru, Australia is hard-selling Cambodia as something unexpected: their new promised land of opportunity.

In a video message aired this week to asylum seekers on Nauru, Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton — whose nation has said it will never take the migrants — touted Cambodia as "a fast-paced and vibrant country with a stable economy and varied employment opportunities ... a diverse nation with a blend of many nationalities, cultures and religions."

"An opportunity for a new life is now before you," Dutton said. "While it's not Australia, Cambodia offers you safety, security and opportunity."

Two recent shipwrecks in the Mediterranean Sea that killed as many as 1,300 people have thrown a new spotlight on the global movement of asylum seekers and migrants seeking a better life, and the struggle by other, often wealthier nations to push them back.

The 700 asylum seekers on Nauru, many from as far away as Iran, Sri Lanka and Myanmar, have been stuck there since 2013. Australia funds a detention center there similar to another on Papua New Guinea that temporarily houses intercepted migrants who attempted dangerous journeys across the open sea.

In a bid to settle their fates, Australia offered Cambodia US$31 million to take the refugees in deal agreed last year. Critics say the country is extraordinarily ill-equipped to host refugees, and they accuse Australia of exploiting poorer nations in a bid to rid itself of unwanted migrants.

"Australia is basically paying blood money to a much poorer, less developed state with a shoddy record of refugee protection to take people that Canberra doesn't want," said Phil Robertson, deputy director for Asia at Human Rights Watch.

"When they get there, the refugees will find huge hurdles to integrate, jobs that are few and far between, and a resentful local population wondering why this group should get a time-limited year of Australian assistance when ordinary Cambodians do not," Robertson said.

Hundreds of thousands of people fled Cambodia in the 1970s, when the country was bombed by American forces during the Vietnam War, then ruled by the fanatical Khmer Rouge, an ultra-communist movement that oversaw the death of about 2 million people before being ousted by Vietnamese forces.

Australia says it is a generous supporter of refugees and is working hard to find durable solutions to the crisis. In a letter to his country's Parliament last year, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen defended his government's decision to take in those on Nauru, calling it a "humanitarian" gesture. He said Cambodia is already home to refugees — just 85 to be exact — from countries including Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Palestine, Iraq, Sudan, Congo and Somalia.

Son Chhay, a Cambodian lawmaker, said Hun Sen's humanitarian claim was disingenuous. He cited the fact that Cambodia has deported Vietnamese and Chinese minorities over the last decade, and questioned why it would now take in "unwanted refugees from Australia" instead.

In March, Cambodian police hunted down 42 Montagnard asylum seekers from Vietnam and forced them home, Robertson said. The Montagnard are an ethnic minority; many of them sided with the U.S. during the Vietnam War and attend Protestant churches not recognized by the government.

So far, Cambodia says only one person on Nauru has taken up the resettlement offer — an ethnic Rohingya Muslim from Myanmar, two countries away.

Kem Sarin, who heads the refugee office at Cambodia's Interior Ministry, said the case was under review and there is no word on when the man might arrive in Phnom Penh.

Dutton told Sky News television on Tuesday that "ringleaders" among the Nauru refugees "have been telling their fellow travelers there not to accept the deal and they are being spurred on by refugee advocates in Australia." Such actions, he says, are "prolonging the difficulties for these people" because it is futile for them to hold onto hope of ever reaching Australia.

An Australian fact sheet endorsing Cambodia was distributed on Nauru this month. It promised free health insurance and cash, and described Cambodia as a place where people "enjoy all the freedoms of a democratic society, including freedom of religion and freedom of speech."

The handout fails to mention that Cambodia's government has a history of brutally cracking down on dissent, most recently against opponents who accused the ruling party of rigging 2013 elections.

It also appears at odds with Australia's own travel advisory for Cambodia, which warns of the potential for violent clashes between security forces and demonstrators, says robberies occur frequently and cautions that medical care "may be limited or non-existent" in some places while infectious diseases like dengue fever and typhoid are common.

"The reality is that refugees under Australia's care who are sent to Cambodia are likely in the long term to lead lives of danger, destitution and despair on the margins," said David Manne, a human rights lawyer who is executive director of Australia's Refugee and Immigration Legal Center. Cambodia, he said, "can barely look after the needs and safety of its own population, let alone those of refugees."

Theary Seng, a Phnom Penh-based lawyer, expressed similar sentiments. When it comes to statistics for human development, corruption, education, social welfare and security, "Cambodia ranks at the very bottom tier," she said.

"These refugees," she said, "will be dumped into a sea of human-rights abuses."
__

Associated Press writers Sopheng Cheang in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and Rod McGuirk in Canberra, Australia, contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-24

• Like 1

Terrible idea. People trying to flee a terrible existence are made to live in one of the poorest and corrupt countries in the world. If Oz is willing to spend $31 million I would think they should be able to buy a better solution for these people.

• Like 1

Are these people who have been screened and determined to be genuine refugees? Will they have the chance at Cambodia citizenship? A passport or travel documents?

Only those who have been assessed as genuine refugees are being offered an opportunity to relocate to Cambodia. The Oz govt has claimed that in the future they would have a path to Cambo citizenship. To date not one refugee in Cambodia has ever been given permanent residence status which is the first step to citizenship.

Much of the Oz government activities regarding asylum seekers / refugees are now treated as an operational matter & subject to attempts at secrecy e.g. the recent transfer of Vietnamese refugees intercepted at sea and returned to Vietnam. As far as I know the Oz govt has not clarified the travel document status / policy for transferees to Cambodia.

• Like 1

This is a good deal for helping refugees ...

These are refugees from Nauru. They will be given free housing in a Villa type structure far better than many Cambodians get or they would get anywhere else in the world.

They will receive free medical, they will receive citizenship which make them eligible to get free education, transport and many other benefits. They will be offered jobs.

This was documented on Aljazeera or Channel news asia a couple of nights ago.

Anyone who thinks this is not a good idea doesn't know the facts and doesn't know what they are talking about. A refugee and family can have all this or go back to where they came from ... ? what would you do .. ?

it's the human rights advocates who just want to make trouble and don't realize the facts.

Stop the damn boats !!!!

wai2.gif

• Like 1

Terrible idea. People trying to flee a terrible existence are made to live in one of the poorest and corrupt countries in the world. If Oz is willing to spend $31 million I would think they should be able to buy a better solution for these people.

It's not a terrible idea, you don't know what your talking about.

What is a terrible idea is if they were to be offered nothing or go back to where they came from.

Oh God.. Now they want to ruin Cambo. Once the hordes of African and the middle eastern "asylum seekers" have trashed Europe where is the average white guy gonna go.. I was hoping that Cambo or Burma would be a great refuge from the refugees.. Maybe plan B, wait till Africa is empty and then return and re-colonise it..

What about all the people who have completed paperwork and paid application fees to migrate legally to Europe and Australia.. Do they just have to wait longer while the grubby reffo's jump the queue ?

Was wondering if I built a raft and arrived on the shores of Monaco would they take me in as a stateless migrant and give a free house and cash ?

After all my home country's economy is buggered and I'm soon to be an ethnic minority.....

• Like 2

These are refugees from Nauru. They will be given free housing in a Villa type structure far better than many Cambodians get or they would get anywhere else in the world.

They will receive free medical, they will receive citizenship which make them eligible to get free education, transport and many other benefits. They will be offered jobs.

Anyone who thinks this is not a good idea doesn't know the facts and doesn't know what they are talking about. A refugee and family can have all this or go back to where they came from ... ? what would you do .. ?

it's the human rights advocates who just want to make trouble and don't realize the facts.

Stop the damn boats !!!!

wai2.gif

Agree that it is a good deal(temporarily, only) for the Seekers. $31million is a lot of money in Cambodia!!!

I know-- I live there 6 months/year. Not unlike Thailand, part of that money will be sucked out by those at the top of the food chain-- ya know-- the suckers that run the show.

I have NO respect for the Australian Government-- I have many Aussie friends that would agree.

Where is their Humanitarianism? They Forget their own past history. " Screw everyone else, we just got the Award for the most expensive place, in the world, for Tourists to visit!" Don't tell me they've run out of land??? The Khmer people Would definitely have a problem with refugees getting Welfare, when only

Voluntary Groups are the only help they get. "Get outta here, Australia!" You can do better!

Stop the damn boats !!!!

wai2.gif

Those positively vetted as genuine refugees taking up the offer will get up to four years assistance to resettle after that they're on their own. There is no guarantee of jobs or citizenship. So far it is claimed six people have accepted the package. To apply further pressure Dutton is reported as saying in the future their there will be less incentives. But you're correct, much better than being stuck on Naura for possibly decades waiting to get resettled by UNHCR.

• Like 2

As a general rule, refugees need to integrate into the country that is accepting them. In the case of Cambodia, I don't know that this is feasible or possible. This may create a 'shadow culture'.

Much of Cambodia's culture was destroyed and there is a generation coming up that have a legacy of war, killing and displacement.

In the long run this may be creating more problems than it is solving, but solutions are hard to come by.

Thanks, Simple1 for the specifics on their refugee status.

• Like 1

hmmm ... while I agree simple & scott with your comments, I still think it's not such a bad deal for refugees looking for a safe secure place to live.

Lets face it ... they wanted Australia because of welfare and living conditions ... now thats all changed for the better I believe as no boats have attempted the journey for some time because they know ' they will never be resettled in Australia '

so the deterent has worked, and now they are being offered Cambodia .... If I was one of them, I would have knocked the table over rushing up to sign .... just my opinion.

wai2.gif

The tragedy of the asylum seekers is in part a consequence of Indonesia's bloody-minded refusal to block entry to their country those they know will be seeking an opportunity to travel to Australia by boat. The tragic scam is orchestrated and controlled by corrupt officials and the military and vast fortunes have been made from the misery of these people.

A sick country.

Cambodian officials make money in odd ways. They've also been charging very high amounts for the Int'l tribune which is supposedly going on there. In reality, Hun Sen is doing everything he can to stiffle the proceedings, ....but he still doesn't mind the tens of millions of dollars pouring in to his country for the trials (which won't happen, if he has his way). Hun Sen claims if the trials take place, the Cambodian people will riot. What a stupid assessment, - as if Cambodians are all disturbed children who go apeshit when something odd happens. If Hun Sen were to step aside, that would be a big improvement for Cambodia. It's no surprise why he and Thaksin are bosom buddies. They're like two peas in a pod. Control and manipulation are their guiding principles.

As for migrants: they'll probably just meld in to some slums, after Australia's hand-out money runs dry.

• Like 1

Here's a sideline topic, which focuses on the vibrant popular music scene in Cambodia, just prior to the Khmer Rouge take-over. Listen to the audio version of the interview. The song at the end, which is an a-capella woman's voice, brought tears to my eyes. Apparently, she sang the song after the Khmer Rouge take-over, and the song laments what a lovely city Phom Phen was before the take-over, and her continuing love for the city. I don't speak any Cambodian, but the emotion of the singer zaps to the heart.

• Like 1

The tragedy of the asylum seekers is in part a consequence of Indonesia's bloody-minded refusal to block entry to their country those they know will be seeking an opportunity to travel to Australia by boat. The tragic scam is orchestrated and controlled by corrupt officials and the military and vast fortunes have been made from the misery of these people.

A sick country.

Indo had agreed to try and block Iranians from entering their country for onward travel to Oz by boat. The Oz govt was in the process of negotiating to block other country nationals travelling via Indo, but due to popularist domestic political pressure went down the path of the PNG Solution and all the suffering that causes. No denying the consequences of corruption in Indo for controlling people smugglers, but no different from numerous other countries, including Thailand.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-18/indonesia-to-change-visa-requirements-for-iranians/4829434

I always find it interesting that those arriving in the thousands by air (often on falsely obtained visas) & then claiming asylum are very rarely vilified.

• Like 1

What else should one expect from this historic crucible of racism, notorious for its White Australia policy and the brutal subjugation and ongoing ill-treatment of the indigenous Aborigine population?

Were I a refugee, even Cambodia would be preferable to Oz with its ranting, immigrant-hating Wizard..To borrow from Marx (Groucho, not Karl), I certainly would not wish to join any club of which Tony Abbott is a member.

What else should one expect from this historic crucible of racism, notorious for its White Australia policy and the brutal subjugation and ongoing ill-treatment of the indigenous Aborigine population?

Were I a refugee, even Cambodia would be preferable to Oz with its ranting, immigrant-hating Wizard..To borrow from Marx (Groucho, not Karl), I certainly would not wish to join any club of which Tony Abbott is a member.

Incorrect ......

Godders, you don't know what your talking about my friend ..... whistling.gif you are completely wrong ....

" brutal subjugation and ongoing ill-treatment of the indigenous Aborigine population? " - wrong.

Australian government laws in place governing Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders :

Do Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples get special treatment from the government? Yes, to a certain extent they do.

Generally, Indigenous people receive the same level of public benefits as non-Indigenous people. Individuals do not get extra funding because they are Indigenous. However, specific government programs, not additional income, have been introduced for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples because they are the most economically and socially disadvantaged group in Australia. Special programs are necessary to help overcome disadvantage. Examples of programs specifically designed to meet Indigenous needs include:

• Community Development Employment Projects Scheme (CDEP) - Indigenous work-for-the-dole.
  • Aboriginal Medical Services and Aboriginal Legal Services - provide cost-free medical and legal services.
  • The Indigenous Employment Programme - provides flexible financial assistance to help create employment and training opportunities for Indigenous people in the private sector.
  • The Indigenous Education Strategic Initiatives Programme (IESIP) - provides supplementary funding to pre-schools, schools and vocational education and training providers to help improve educational outcomes for Indigenous students.

These programs supplement those available to the mainstream population. They are necessary because Indigenous people do not generally use mainstream services at the same rate as non-Indigenous people and because the level of Indigenous disadvantage is much more severe. Medical and legal services for low income and migrant communities are also available in Australia.

Edited by steven100

'"Australia is basically paying blood money to a much poorer, less developed state with a shoddy record of refugee protection to take people that Canberra doesn't want," said Phil Robertson, deputy director for Asia at Human Rights Watch.' What HRW should be doing, instead of constantly griping, is looking for sustainable solutions, both near and long term.

If you knew the whole storey and not some of the BS that is being touted by refugee advocates, who just happen to be paid by the government to do the job they are doing, and the socialist left, then maybe you would understand that the majority if these people are, in fact, economic refugees, who bypassed many safe countries to reach Australia, the land of milk and honey. They paid thousand's of dollars to the people smugglers and before they reached Australia, threw away all the identification, passports included, so as to make identification almost impossible, and in the case of some, hide their criminal past.

Many were given the benefit of the doubt, resettled and then some, to thank us for helping, went on to rape and steal, murder and continually sexually assault our women. They lived off government handouts, with some families never attempting to work since their arrival. The ones taken to the off shore processing are ones who cannot prove who they are but despite being offered to return to their homeland, come up with some BS storey about how they will be persecuted if sent back. To date, none of those, who have failed the truth test, have come up with a legitimate reason why they bypassed safe countries, or why they destroyed their identity papers and passport.

If they don't want to go to a refugee camp, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Cambodia or any other country that is willing to take them, then they have a sixth option, go back to where they came from and stopping milking the system here. But no, they can't get this type of assistance in any other country, so why would they want to leave? As it is, Australia takes in many on humanitarian grounds and also those who come here as legitimate refugees, so why should those, who come illegally and in cohorts with criminals, reap any benefits and push those legally arriving to the bottom of the queue. If they are genuine asylum seekers/refugees and retain the evidence to sustain their allegations, then so be it, let them stay but the others, I say, good riddance.

• Like 1

Stop the damn boats !!!!

wai2.gif

Agree that it is a good deal(temporarily, only) for the Seekers. $31million is a lot of money in Cambodia!!!

I know-- I live there 6 months/year. Not unlike Thailand, part of that money will be sucked out by those at the top of the food chain-- ya know-- the suckers that run the show.

I have NO respect for the Australian Government-- I have many Aussie friends that would agree.

Where is their Humanitarianism? They Forget their own past history. " Screw everyone else, we just got the Award for the most expensive place, in the world, for Tourists to visit!" Don't tell me they've run out of land??? The Khmer people Would definitely have a problem with refugees getting Welfare, when only

Voluntary Groups are the only help they get. "Get outta here, Australia!" You can do better!

Of course money will be sucked away, happens world wide. It's what we give, it's called foreign aide, and unfortunately Australian governments, of all persuasions, give it away like confetti. So you accept that it's a good deal, albeit temporarily. How do you know it's temporary, are you a member of our government and involved in allocating funds?

Not an Aussie I see but still want to give your two bob's worth. That's fine but before you do, read and understand what happened between 2007 and 2013, and maybe then you will understand why the current government has taken this stand. But, by the sounds of it, you just listen to your Aussie friends, which is only hearsay and depending on their political view is what you're going to be told. Not really the best way to proffer an opinion or tell the world you have no respect for a government that clearly you have no understanding of.

By the sounds of it, you have absolutely no idea what has happened back home and just being fed leftist's BS and because they are your friends, you accept what they say as gospel. Yes, the current government has made mistakes, show me a government that hasn't but if you have NO respect for them, then why, and what are your feelings toward the previous government, who allowed over 50,000 illegals to enter our country, via boats, and oversaw a 1000 plus people, men, women and children, drown at sea. I suppose you would have the utmost respect for them because they allowed so many to come to Australia (Illegally), and that they gave them so many things that even our own citizens could not access.

If you want to make comment, fine, no problem with that but as it appears you do not appear to know all the facts then what you are sprouting is total diatribe on a subject that you have little, if any, knowledge of. When you criticize please stay on the subject, the cost to tourists is totally irrelevant or if you suggest it's not, then please explain the relevancy.

Please enlighten me as to who you are referring to and how has our past history been forgotten. No one, with any intelligence, will ever forget how our country came into being, and how those free settlers and convicts, came together to build such a great country that unfortunately now is being ruined by powerful people and their vested interests in power and greed, and how it is being perpetuated through so many corrupt and immoral politicians, again of all persuasions.

If you want to put in your little bit, fine, but may I suggest that firstly, you at least know some of the facts, stay on the topic and once you have educated yourself, then engage your mouth but only after having put your brain into gear.

The old myth that the asylum seekers / refugees receive more benefits that Australian citizens; have a read of the following...

https://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/settlement-and-multicultural-affairs/publications/fact-sheet-98-settlement-services-for-refugees#b

Would be interested to know the safe countries that have been bypassed by these people. Certainly places such as Thailand, Indonesia & Malaysia do not permit legal access to work and integration into their societies for refugees. However, I would assume the people smugglers dictate destinations, not the asylum seekers / refugees.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

It's not the illegals that Australia needs to be worried about it's the thousands of legals, mainly the Chinese that are bloody well buying up everything which is lifting prices to an unachievable level for the majority of Australians. I just came back from Sydney & Nth Qld & OMG Chinese just every where. Not tourists either. It was crazy I mean I traveled on public transport & with no exaggeration I was the only Non Asian (Chinese) travelling. Not just urban areas either, they are buying a hell of a lot of agricultural land too.

Maybe these illegals could be sent as has been muted in the past to areas where the locals WONT work eg. farms that simply can't get Aussies to harvest fruit etc. It sits on the ground rotting. In Nth Queensland my home state many farm processing facilities have mostly NEW migrant workers as the local unemployed wont do it, not even when being paid $19-20 per/hour.

• Like 1