Qihoo 360 Total Security Suite, free.

Banzai99

I'm using this program, after my paid for ESET Smart Security was accidently removed from my PC, I'm amazed that it's a free program, a 5 engine virus scanner including BitDefender and Avira engines, no registration or email address required.

It's a Chinese product from a massive ISP, I've researched it online and it gets excellent scores in AV testing, an incredible free program IMHO.

Anybody else using it ?

I don't use it but just may give it a try on one of my computers...I've heard good words about their products...I just need to get over the "China" thing.

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-8/february-2015/qihoo-360-360-internet-security-5.0-150616/

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

http://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/

http://www.360safe.com/

Sent from my iPhone made in China, lol.

Yea, but it's made under American/Apple specifications, design, quality assurance, etc. Nothing wrong with stuff made in China if it's made to good specifications...the problem is determining "if" it's made to good specifications. That's when people people usually default to buying a branch name product such as Apple knowing Apple produce quality products (premium products) regardless of what country the products are manufactured in.

Generally, some stuff Made in China stuff is crap and some is very good....I've gotten my share of both. It's figuring out which is which sometimes. And ongoing news reports about country X trying to hack country Y and the memories from the Cold War era still generate some mistrust I guess.

Sent from my iPhone made in China, lol.

Yea, but it's made under American/Apple specifications, design, quality assurance, etc. Nothing wrong with stuff made in China if it's made to good specifications...the problem is determining "if" it's made to good specifications. That's when people people usually default to buying a branch name product such as Apple knowing Apple produce quality products (premium products) regardless of what country the products are manufactured in.

Generally, some stuff Made in China stuff is crap and some is very good....I've gotten my share of both. It's figuring out which is which sometimes. And ongoing news reports about country X trying to hack country Y and the memories from the Cold War era still generate some mistrust I guess.

Yeah, on various Forums some posters refuse to use the excellent Kaspersky software for that very reason, the Russian connection.

• 1 month later...

360 just got disqualified and stripped of all previous awarded certificates by a leading consumer testing company AV-test because they obviously provided to them tuned software in order to reach better test results. Well it's china I changed to panda today

Very interesting. For any folks who do use Qihoo 360 since the article talks a setting in Qihoo 360 where you selected the "detection engine" to use, can you select the Qihoo Detection Engine "and" Bitdefender Detection Engine, both at the same time? Or you can select only one detection engine, not both at the same time?

If you can only select one detection engine at a time and assuming the Bitdefender engine is the best, then a person would just be better off using using the free Bitdefender software (which is what I use on one of my computers).

In the below Qihoo statement is says "multiple" engines can be selected. Would be nice for one of you users of Qihoo 360 can confirm.

I expect the more engines you can possibly turn-on the more CPU power is utilized which is less CPU power to use on running your other software. If so and if it did slow down my computer noticeably by running multiple detection engines, I think I would only want to be running one detection engine at a time...which engine to turn on?....well, for me it would be which ever one is considered the best.

Here's Qihoo statement regarding cheating in lab tests.

http://blog.360totalsecurity.com/en/qihoo-360-statement-regarding-cheating-in-lab-test/

Qihoo 360 statement regarding cheating in lab test
May 1, 2015360TS
April 30th, Qihoo 360 received comments from its industry partners with allegation of inappropriate behaviour on the benchmarking processes in test labs. We regret that this behaviour has resulted into such comments from these labs, who we recognize as reference for security benchmarking. However, we hereby offer our perspective to the alleged comments.

The allegation highlights that the default configuration of the product available for the public, differs from the configuration used by the labs for testing. This configuration was explicitly declared upon submission of the tests, and was thereafter confirmed by the test labs.

In the public version, 3rd party engine is off by default, in the consideration that the majority of our users, are running on lower computing power. To satisfy lab conditions, the consideration of power constraint was therefore discarded. In any case, no alleged comment indicates that the level of protection from the product, is lower than the records achieved during the testing sessions.

Qihoo is committed to provide free security solutions, in order to convert security a commodity for all PC users. In addition, our product offers multiple engines, and regardless of the initial configuration, it is the user who has the complete freedom to choose how many of them should be activated at any time. It is with such understanding that AV-Test, one of the three testing labs involved, has stated that further investigation is ongoing, and will provide further updates on this topic.

Very interesting. For any folks who do use Qihoo 360 since the article talks a setting in Qihoo 360 where you selected the "detection engine" to use, can you select the Qihoo Detection Engine "and" Bitdefender Detection Engine, both at the same time? Or you can select only one detection engine, not both at the same time?

If you can only select one detection engine at a time and assuming the Bitdefender engine is the best, then a person would just be better off using using the free Bitdefender software (which is what I use on one of my computers).

In the below Qihoo statement is says "multiple" engines can be selected. Would be nice for one of you users of Qihoo 360 can confirm.

I expect the more engines you can possibly turn-on the more CPU power is utilized which is less CPU power to use on running your other software. If so and if it did slow down my computer noticeably by running multiple detection engines, I think I would only want to be running one detection engine at a time...which engine to turn on?....well, for me it would be which ever one is considered the best.

Regarding the "can multiple detection engines be turned on on once" I just found the answer in a another ThaiVisa thread/post by Banzai99 on Ramsonware. Link.

The answer is yes, but I still wonder how much of a CPU performance hit that extracts when running multiple detection engines?

Regarding the "can multiple detection engines be turned on on once" I just found the answer in a another ThaiVisa thread/post by Banzai99 on Ramsonware. Link.

The answer is yes, but I still wonder how much of a CPU performance hit that extracts when running multiple detection engines?

Hi Pib,

No noticeable difference, my last boot time was 24 seconds, windows 8.1, my setting is the highest one, Security, all engines active, CPU 1 - 2 % Ram 207 mb it doesn't affect my Desktop or Laptop running intel i3 & 4gb Ram and Intel i7 & 8gb Ram respectively, as noted there is a balanced setting as well as a Performance setting for those that have less Ram.

And you have a custom setting you can turn off either Avira or the Bitdefender engine or both.

Archived