Mayweather/Pacquiao fight on May 3rd in Pattaya Dark Side

ongengwai

I am very new to Pattaya, and very unfamiliar with the pub scene. But I have colleagues who are interested to watch that and I would love to organize a get together watching the box.

Please can you help me with the following :

1. What is the fight time, in Thai time ? How long do you think the fight time will be ? What time do you think we should start sitting down and watch ? I am unfamiliar with boxing but do they have long warm up / commerical / drama time before the actual box ?

2. Which pub in around Soi Siam Country Club, Soi Nern Plub Wan, Map Prahan lake, or the dark side / east side in general will you recommend ? It should have channel 7 (the Thai TV station with right to show this), or some foreign satelitte channel that broadcasts the boxing live. It should have big TV.

3. Do you recommend me to book a table in the pub ?

4. Any others.

Thanks !!

The event starts at 6 pm, Saturday in Las Vegas which is 8am on Sunday morning here.

That's when the undercard fights start. There are 6 undercard fights before the main event.

There's no way of knowing how long these fights will last. The main even will probably start some time between 11am and noon here.

I predict it will go the distance, which is 47 mintues.

I hear it will be shown on Thai Channel 7 with commentary in Thai. The Thai people will be as excited as any to see this event.

A Thai boxer, Medgoen Singsurat KO'd Pacquiao in the 3rd round back in 1999 (in Thailand). Pacquiao has fought 7 Thai boxers in his professional career.

Edited by tropo

The event starts at 6 pm, Saturday in Las Vegas which is 8am on Sunday morning here.

That's when the undercard fights start. There are 6 undercard fights before the main event.

There's no way of knowing how long these fights will last. The main even will probably start some time between 11am and noon here.

I hear it will be shown on Thai Channel 7 with commentary in Thai. The Thai people will be as excited as any to see this event.

A Thai boxer, Medgoen Singsurat KO'd Pacquiao in the 3rd round back in 1999 (in Thailand). Pacquiao has fought 7 Thai boxers in his professional career.

I just searched do you think that boxer is better than pacquiao?

I just searched do you think that boxer is better than pacquiao?

Are you referring to Medgoen Singsurat? He was on that day back in 1999 when both of them were 20 years old. Pacquaio had a very difficult time making weight for that fight, so he was in very poor condition on that day.

So which place shows it?

As it's on Channel 7 I would have thought that every bar come restaurant thats open will have it on.

I don't know if they were correct, but the girl I spoke to at Sophon Cable did say it will show on Astro Supersport 3. If it is shown on there, as they have shown previous big fights, you'll be able to see it with English Commentary. It would be a good idea for all Sophon subscribers to make sure they know the correct channel number for this channel.

The Thai channels normally do a pathetic job at showing big fights.... like cutting off rounds (start and end) for commercials. Over the last few years they have been getting better though. This will be a huge event for Thailand, so perhaps they will do a better job of covering it this time around. Previously they have never shown any undercard fights and start broadcasting just before the main event, but they (Sophon) said to me that they will start coverage at 10 am, so that will include some lead up fights (if it starts that early).

A correction to what I wrote earlier on this thread. Only 2 of the undercard events will be televised, starting at 6pm Vegas time, so the main event will probably start between 10 am and 11 am, but no sooner than 10 am Thailand time. Just to be safe, don't turn up any later than 10:30 am.

(don't want anyone blaming me for bum information and missing the fight smile.png )

Edited by tropo

A correction to what I wrote earlier on this thread. Only 2 of the undercard events will be televised, starting at 6pm Vegas time, so the main event will probably start between 10 am and 11 am, but no sooner than 10 am Thailand time. Just to be safe, don't turn up any later than 10:30 am.

(don't want anyone blaming me for bum information and missing the fight smile.png )

Thanks for putting so much work into this, tropo - many of the bar staff I talked to knew about the fight but some were completely, blissfully unaware that it was even on. I admit that normally I would share their apathy, particularly if it meant being in a bar at 10am : something Ive worked very hard to avoid.

This is the summary from an Australian news site where the fight is being telecast live for something in the order of 60 AUD on a pay-per-view basis. Sydney is 3 hours ahead of Pattaya so I've added the Pattaya times in bold. I'm including this simply because it may be that anyone rocking up at 10:30am in Pattaya will see the fight already underway - or not - but I guess anyone who is sufficiently keen on boxing to sit through all the televised fights wont miss a second of it anyway. Almost 8am now and I'm very keen to see this get underway - Pacman for the win, but as long as its a good bout I dont really mind who wins.

Our coverage starts at 11am (AEST) Sunday May 3 2015. 8AM Pattaya time

The first fight is carded for 11:30am (AEST) 8:30am Pattaya time

The main event’s probable start time is 1pm (AEST) [this is dependant on earlier fights] 10am Pattaya time

That fight was as entertaining as a Michael Buble concert. coffee1.gif

MMA all the way......

Really. 36 minutes and the two of them walk away with over US$200+ to split between them...

More power to them but come on...

MMA all the way......

Really. 36 minutes and the two of them walk away with over US$200+ to split between them...

That's 100 USD each ;)

OK - you left out the 'million' part - but the skeptics were saying long before the bell rang that this would be nothing more than a teaser for Mayweather's last ever fight later in the century. Mayweather reportedly insisted on a 'no rematch' clause, but one can only wonder how much money would be on the table if they get into the ring for a second time. Manny's management are quoted as saying they never want to deal with the Mayweather camp again, so it might be more about the business than the fighters.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/05/02/could-there-be-a-rematch-of-mayweather-pacquiao-not-so-fast/21179144/

MMA all the way......

I had to watch it on CH7 with Thai commentary. I feel really sorry for the TV network having to fit in a boxing match between their stupid adverts They missed the star of every round, only by a few seconds, but time enough for one or other to have delivered a KO punch.!

This is the last time for me to watch any Fixture or OKA boxing from Las Vegas

Why Manny didnt ever deliver a knockout punch isn't outside of my my understanding the way the fight (sic) was acted out

The way that manny was smiling as He heard the result says it all for me.

Im saying nothing more for fear of the libel laws but I'm Sure you can read between my lines?

MMA all the way......

The fight played out exactly as I expected. I'd hoped for more but that was wishful thinking. It had been made known long before the fight that they stood to make: Pacquiao: $120 million, Mayweather: $180 million. People didn't pay to watch an exciting fight. They watched because they hoped there was finally a chance Mayweather would lose.

There's just no way short of luck to break Mayweather's code. Mayweather's genius and fighting style are a recipe for boring fights. He claims he is better than Ali. I'd have to agree. Ali's wars cost him dearly, but why should a boxer take punishment to entertain us if they have the skills to avoid it.

MMA all the way......

I had to watch it on CH7 with Thai commentary. I feel really sorry for the TV network having to fit in a boxing match between their stupid adverts They missed the star of every round, only by a few seconds, but time enough for one or other to have delivered a KO punch.!

Why would you complain when you get to watch it live for free. You lost a few seconds each round and HAD to watch it in Thai? Boohoo! If you had turned off the sound you could have avoided having to listen to it in Thai. That's what I do... On the bright side, it gave you a chance to watch the fight without any bias from over talkative and often annoying commentators.

In fact, CH 7 did the best job ever for a major fight. Can you imagine how much they paid to broadcast that live... obviously they have to fit commercials into the intervals. As it happened you only lost 4 seconds at the start of each round.

I do however feel sorry for the Filipinos over in the Philippines. They couldn't watch it live for free on TV... only replay or shelling out $60 for satellite feed. I Skyp'ed it to our family over there and they too HAD to watch it in Thai.smile.png. Can you believe they had a brownout just before they sung the Philippine national anthem and couldn't get back on until the 2nd minute of the 3rd round - talk about bad luck.

The pub downstairs - German, I think - had the English commentary telecast and were duly rewarded with a standing room only crowd. Agree that the Thais needed to pay for their free telecast and I usually didnt find the ads too intrusive, although the first two were shockers in that regard.

As for the fight, I'll leave the analysis to the experts but from an entertainment POV I can see why so many lament Tyson's departure - as disgraceful as his later years were. The first time I saw him I couldnt help thinking of Mr T in whichever Rocky film Stallone managed to get him in sufficiently good shape to wear a pair of boxing trunks. 'Clubber Lang' may not have been a real boxer, but that's the kind of animal I believe many of us want to see climb into the ring, regardless of the outcomes.

It's interesting to read all the different opinions.

Personally I hate Mayweather and think he's a pussy for running away for the best part of the fight BUT you have to admire his ability to avoid getting hit. His career ( although his record is outstanding ) could have been a lot more glamorous had he been more aggressive in his fights, the ability is there. As someone compares him to being greater than Ali, perhaps so, Ali IMO was not all that, a lot of Ali was about the hype / charisma etc.

During the build up and fight I thought there was too much buddy buddy, no needle at weigh in, too much glove touching in the fight etc etc, it's always a much better fight ( between whoever ) if there's a bit of an edge.

Pac-Man was there to fight - he's a proper boxer, likes to get into a good scrap but now perhaps beyond his best years.

Best fighter ever, as someone has mentioned - Mike Tyson, had it all in his early years, intensity / aggression / drive / skill / power / dedication, IMO - he's been the latest GREAT fighter in my time.

MMA - hhhmmm...... Although I like to watch it sometimes it'll never be at the same level as entertainment as todays boxing match. i'd say while Tyson was in his prime perhaps 80-90% of everyone on the planet knew who he was, ask the regular Joe, they won't be ale to name 1 MMA fighter.

Anyway just my opinions for what it's worth.

That's a bummer about the 'brown out' in PH before the fight!!

Mayweather kept Pacqiao away with that long armed jab.

Not a very exciting match.

I watch a lot of MMA and these wouldn't last 5 minutes in the cage.

It's well known that a good kick boxer makes quick work of a professional boxer, as would a wrestler. What's your point? They are completely different sports and it's not a fair comparison, and it undermines the skills of these boxers.

If you put any MMA fighter in the ring with Mayweather or Pacquiao, in the same weight class, with the usual boxing rules, they'd all be knocked out without exception and probably in a few rounds at the most.

MMA is usually very boring as most fights are 2 men (or women) hugging each other on the ground - for 15 minutes. There must be some reason why professional boxers make more money? Perhaps boxing appeals to a much wider audience. MMA has got a captive audience in WWE fans.

BTW, Dana White happens to be a big fan of Manny Pacquaio.

Edited by tropo