SAMUI

i never been in Samui island ; but i often hear from other people might be beautifull in there;

and i would like to visit Samui probably in august or september and stay there 1-2 months .

but i would like stay there in a area which German speaking people most ;

finding German food easly like that ; if so ; which area of Samui i should look for a beach bungalows or apartments than ?

where used to staying German speaking society in there most ? (Swiss;austrian;Germans like that)

will be thankfull for answers.

:-)

where more Germans than others ?in Chaweng ? Lamai ? maenam ? or pier?

actually i dont want to crew up my longterm holiday around parvenu Russian

and cheeky Anglo s . thats why i am asking . samui is large as see in the map .

I lived there for 8 months. never again. Some really like it but I was not impressed. Stay a week or two and you'll see evrything. Bring money...expensive. Northern part of island is where most go.

• Like 1

Majority of people prefer to live in diverse ethnic groups with the possible exception of French and Russian speakers. It should be noted that a large number of Russian speakers have left the island due to the 50% decline in the Rouble.

Maybe see if you can find a German language facebook group on Samui.

• Like 1

Most i recognized are in Choeng Mon, mostly older couples on vacation. But as far as i know there is no dedicated german restaurant.

In Bang Rak are some residents, also a restaurant (never went there).

I don't go often to Chaweng or Lamai, but it seems they have a lot of german restaurants.

Personally i would not choose the location depending on that, i agree with notmyself ... but up to you. I'm quite happy in Bang Rak, mixed people, not too much party :-)

I'm quite happy in Bang Rak, mixed people, not too much party :-)

Which I think is ultimately what member Klause is after. Area to the rear of Lamai (around the hills) is very quiet and it's only 5 minutes to Lamai beach road where there are plenty of bars/ restaurants cantering for German speakers. I prefer to mix with people from all over but each to their own.

• Like 1

Lamai even has there own "German street" Soi Lindenstrasse (sp?), which is very busy.

Between the Soi that has the small market every night, and the the larger road that starts opposite the Outback Bar, and runs up to the ring road.

Edited by gusG
  • Like 1

There is no german speaking ghetto on Samui and I think we're all glad about that (even we Germans/Swiss/Austrians = GSA).

There is a fair amount of GSA in Maenam/Ban Thai/Bang Por and also in Lamai. But even there you'll meet your occasional russian parvenu as you call them.

'Der Farang' is a german newspaper (also online) based in Pattaya, which has normally 1 or 2 pages per issue dedicated to Samui.

Hope that helps.

As said there are Germans staying in all areas of Samui, it really comes down to what suites you (the OP) Maenam is a bit quieter, (than say Lamai) , as mentioned has lots of Germans ...other country groups too!

Home Bay Resort, caters to lots of Germanic people, near Lomprayah Ferry, is sort of midrange, Santi Buri Resort, for higher end ... (even has a German manager) but all resorts have a bit of a mix... wink.png There is an Austrian bar on Maenam Resort road.... a good Swiss restaurant in the Ban Por area...

Surely part of the point of traveling is to meet different people from around the world.... there are even lots of nice Russians and no so cheeky English! tongue.pngwhistling.gif

• Like 1

many Germans and Austrians at the Fair House, Pavilion, Banana Fan Sea, Chaweng Buri, Pinnacle....Best sand and sea from Chaweng Buri towards the end of South Chaweng Beach. Lots of places to eat at Chaweng, many are also very cheap, very easy to find. Lamai is also very nice and so is Menam. 3 completely different beaches, each nice in it's own style. It depends on what you want.

• Like 1

Seems to be a number of Germans, Austrians and Suisse staying in Maenam – the sois (streets) in the original old part of the village have several German-speaking restaurants – and I believe a few German bakeries in the vicinity also.

I’m not German, so I don’t have close contacts other than I know a number of German-speaking kind people on mainly “hello”-terms – but I once joined a voluntary group in the village, and that ended up being mainly Germans (or German speaking folks).

Maenam is a quiet area – apart from the busy Ring Road – and the beach is nice. There are lots of possibilities for renting a bungalow a couple of month, and also affordable bungalow-resorts by the beach.

However other nationalities also flocks the Maenam area, so be prepared for finding French Vine bars and Italian Resturants - and for the risk of meeting some Russians also...whistling.gif

• Like 2

Thanks to you all for answers ; was very usefull )

very kind of you all

as i understood here 1 .Maenam 2. and in the lamai area

there are more German speaking visitors and restaurants etc.

more than other parts of Samui island.

• Like 2

I remember I saw a german bakery in Maenam ( and saw german customers having their coffee in the morning, there),

This one was on the main road , on the left hand side when you come from Bophut.

Unfortunately that day, the Brötchen I bought were tasted just awful- I'm not sure the bakery still exists, but it means there is a chance to find there a large proportion of your fellow citizens.

By the way, if you miss Katjes lakritzen, you'll find them at Big C supermarket in Bo Phut, not far from Maenam.

Thanks to you all for answers ; was very usefull )

very kind of you all

as i understood here 1 .Maenam 2. and in the lamai area

there are more German speaking visitors and restaurants etc.

more than other parts of Samui island.

no, there are everywhere Germans and everywhere are German restaurants. But not so many, that you can call some places well known for Germans like Fisherman's village was well know for the French some years ago. However countless non German restaurants have also German food on the menu like Schnitzel and Bratwurst.
  • Like 2

i dont understand why you dont stay where you are

then no problem to find greman food and others your own nationality

i am a middle age single man who 50 years old ;i will travelling alone ;

and even if i can speak "some" English language ;

my mother language is German anyway ;

i am alone and i am intend to stay in samui long -term around 2 months; its a long time to be alone.

and i also wish to meet some middle age German speaking ladies in the area where i might stay in Samui)

and i wish also to get there some friendship with people as well ; what should i do alone 2 monhts long?

example :when i stand up in the morning for breakfast or when i go to beach for swiming

next table must German speaking people to make friends easier , thats what i want.

i am non interested for Thai prostitutes or any english speaking ladies.

much easier and comfortable to contact with ladies in my own language .

sure i searched German forums too all about samui .

but i search in english here as well ) got it?

Thanks )

i dont understand why you dont stay where you are

then no problem to find greman food and others your own nationality

i am a middle age single man who 50 years old ;i will travelling alone ;

and even if i can speak "some" English language ;

my mother language is German anyway ;

i am alone and i am intend to stay in samui long -term around 2 months; its a long time to be alone.

and i also wish to meet some middle age German speaking ladies in the area where i might stay in Samui)

and i wish also to get there some friendship with people as well ; what should i do alone 2 monhts long?

example :when i stand up in the morning for breakfast or when i go to beach for swiming

next table must German speaking people to make friends easier , thats what i want.

i am non interested for Thai prostitutes or any english speaking ladies.

much easier and comfortable to contact with ladies in my own language .

sure i searched German forums too all about samui .

but i search in english here as well ) got it?

Thanks )

You'll find a nice bunch of your fellow Germans here.... I've chatted with a few in the last few days.... even sometimes limited language problems people do get by....thumbsup.gif

I think you are worrying too much! Come and enjoy your stay! wai.gif

• Like 2

I am not exactly sure about that, but I live on Samui a very long time and I have noticed that most middle aged tourists from german speaking countries on the islands rather prefer to be under themselves then looking for companionship. A small talk now and then is fine, so will be a night out together or two, a tour together once in a while, if you know others better, but that will be it....

Maybe try the Bamboo Bar on Menam Ring Road for contacts. I have never been there, but I know it's one of the most well known German Restaurant on the island, because of TV Reality Show in Germany.