The Scotland Thread

Jockstar

EUROPEAN QUALIFYING

Burley calls on players to raise their game against Holland

September 9, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

George Burley insists his players have to be fearless against Holland in their crunch World Cup qualifier at Hampden Park.

The Dutch have already booked their passage to South Africa next summer and are looking to make history of their own against Scotland by completing a clean sweep of qualifying wins for the first time.

The Scots, though, go in to the game on a high following the 2-0 win over Macedonia on Saturday but all three points are still probably required against the runaway Group Nine winners if they are to have a chance of a play-off spot.

Burley believes his side will be in the right frame of mind for what he admits is a career highlight for him.

"It is one of the most exciting games of my managerial career, one to look forward to and there is everything to play for,'' the Scotland boss said. "It doesn't come any bigger. I haven't got a clue (how Holland will approach the game) and I'm not really worried. It's about what we do.

"We know the qualities of Holland but we can't fear them. We are in the last game of the group and we are looking to win against one of the top countries in the world. They will want to keep their unbeaten record going.

"But whether we are underdogs or not, it us up to ourselves to be strong, determined and play to the best of our ability with the passion and commitment that we showed on Saturday.''

Burley, however, is sweating over the fitness of his number one keeper Craig Gordon who is struggling with a thigh strain.

The Sunderland keeper was back between the sticks for the visit of Macedonia after recovering from a knee injury and made several crucial saves which left the Scots still in the race for a play-off spot.

David Marshall, who has conceded 11 goals in his three games for Scotland to date, would come in to the side again.

Burley, perhaps ominously, refused to say whether Gordon would have made the game had it been played 24 hours earlier.

"The game is tomorrow so we will assess him tomorrow,'' the former Hearts and Derby boss said. "He played on Saturday and came through it with no problem but he's had a reaction and we will assess him tomorrow.

"You want all your key players to be available. We have 22 players all desperate to play and if Craig was fit it would be a big bonus for us.''

On the question of reinstating Marshall, who conceded four goals in Norway last month, Burley said: "As I say we have a very good squad. If Craig is fit he will play and if not then we will look at somebody else.''

On a more positive note, the Scotland boss confirmed that midfielder Scott Brown, who scored his first goal in dark blue against the Macedonians, has shrugged off an ankle injury.

"Scott is fine,'' Burley said. "He jarred his ankle, he didn't get a knock on it. He wasn't too bad and he will be training this afternoon.''

Burley, however, is wrestling with the dilemma of what to do with Gary Caldwell, who returns after suspension.

Veteran Rangers stopper David Weir was drafted in to the squad for the Macedonia game to cover for the Celtic defender and due to injury to Christophe Berra, Caldwell's Hoops' team-mate Stephen McManus played his first competitive game of the season.

Burley will have to decide whether to drop either Weir or McManus, or accommodate Caldwell in a holding midfield role. However, the Scotland boss was keeping his cards close to his chest.

"The whole squad did magnificently well on Saturday but Wednesday is a different game,'' he said. "It is two games in four days so it's nice to have options.

"I don't see a problem with Davie Weir playing another 90 minutes. But Gary has played well in the campaign so far so it's something that we have to look at.''

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally i think he should go. But who would replace him?

AXE SET TO FALL

Scotland boss Burley set for Tuesday showdown

September 15, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

George Burley's crunch meeting with the Scottish Football Association hierarchy is set to take place at Hampden at noon on Tuesday.

The Scotland boss, who has a contract until 2012, will meet SFA president George Peat, chief executive Gordon Smith, Campbell Ogilvie and Alan McRae to discuss his future after the national team failed yet again to qualify for the finals of a major tournament.

Despite being handed a relatively kind draw for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers, a 1-0 defeat by Holland at Hampden last Wednesday meant Burley's side finished third in Group Nine behind the Dutch and Norway.

Scotland have not qualified for the finals of a major tournament since the 1998 World Cup in France and that failure following a troubled campaign has left Burley battling for his future.

Opinions are mixed with regards Burley's probable fate but the former Hearts manager insisted over the weekend that he still has the appetite to continue.

"I still have a passion for this job,'' he said. "We are heading in the right direction and I will do everything I can to make this country successful. However, if the SFA decide the job isn't there for me I will accept it and move on.''

George Burley keeps his job as Scotland boss

Sep 15 2009

GEORGE BURLEY is to remain in position as Scotland manager despite his failure to lead Scotland to the World Cup in South Africa next year.

The Scottish Football Association confirmed their decision today after holding showdown talks with the national boss.

Chief Executive Gordon Smith said: "This is not the time for change, it is a time to invest faith in the manager and the players.

"If the World Cup campaign has shown us anything it is that we are at our best when we work together. It is by standing united behind the manager and the team that we can achieve the success that we all crave."

Burley, who has a contract until 2012, met SFA president George Peat, chief executive Gordon Smith, Campbell Ogilvie and Alan McRae at noon to discuss his future after the national team failed yet again to qualify for the finals of a major tournament.

Smith said the SFA are convinced Burley is moving the national team in the right direction by blooding youngsters alongside experienced members of the squad.

Daily Record

Aye, he's moving the team in the right direction - backwards!

• 4 weeks later...

I've not read any reports from the japan game yet but I've no doubt burley will be playing the 'alot of positives from the game' card. :):D

yet again, the majority of our best players are nowhere to be seen (either don't play under burley or faking injury to get out of a pointless fixture) and the likes of lee miller are starting up front.

I cannot believe that clown is still manager....actually, I can believe it...the only reason he is still in charge is coz the SFA are too tight to pay him off.

should get rid of the lot of them - burley + management team & SFA suits (gordon smith :D:D:D etc). they're all a f**king disgrace to our nation.

I've not read any reports from the japan game yet but I've no doubt burley will be playing the 'alot of positives from the game' card. :):D

yet again, the majority of our best players are nowhere to be seen (either don't play under burley or faking injury to get out of a pointless fixture) and the likes of lee miller are starting up front.

I cannot believe that clown is still manager....actually, I can believe it...the only reason he is still in charge is coz the SFA are too tight to pay him off.

should get rid of the lot of them - burley + management team & SFA suits (gordon smith :D:D:D etc). they're all a f**king disgrace to our nation.

The fans can see it. I believe he may have lost the dressing room. Only the SFA cant see that he is not the man for the job. To follow managers like Walter Smith and Alex Mcleish who got us believing again and playing good football with the heart that we expect from Scotland players. To this. Ok it was Japan and we had a lot of so called injuries. But its been there for much of this campaign. BURLEY OUT!!!

I think the SFA know deep down that burley's made a mess of it but 1 they can't afford to pay him off and 2 it was those <deleted> who hired him in the first place so they're trying to maintain face by claiming he's the right man for the job.

from the very moment he was unveiled I KNEW he'd be a disaster. after announcing butcher and pressley as his assistants my fears were confirmed....it just got worse and worse after that.

it's not only burley though, mainly him but also that <deleted> gordon smith....I mean <deleted> does he know about being a chief exec? c*nt.

all these players pulling out of the japan game....it's just <deleted>....they just don't want to travel half way round the world to play a pointless fixture for a manager they don't respect. and there's boyd, mcculloch, ferguson and mcgregor who should all be part of the squad but aren't for varying reasons.

I'm even swaying towards getting souness in - at least the rangers players might show an interest then!!

something has to change or we'll miss euro 2012 too. all these crap results will just see us slide down the FIFA rankings making it even harder to qualify.

I think the SFA know deep down that burley's made a mess of it but 1 they can't afford to pay him off and 2 it was those <deleted> who hired him in the first place so they're trying to maintain face by claiming he's the right man for the job.

from the very moment he was unveiled I KNEW he'd be a disaster. after announcing butcher and pressley as his assistants my fears were confirmed....it just got worse and worse after that.

it's not only burley though, mainly him but also that <deleted> gordon smith....I mean <deleted> does he know about being a chief exec? c*nt.

all these players pulling out of the japan game....it's just <deleted>....they just don't want to travel half way round the world to play a pointless fixture for a manager they don't respect. and there's boyd, mcculloch, ferguson and mcgregor who should all be part of the squad but aren't for varying reasons.

I'm even swaying towards getting souness in - at least the rangers players might show an interest then!!

something has to change or we'll miss euro 2012 too. all these crap results will just see us slide down the FIFA rankings making it even harder to qualify.

Scots were very unlucky in Euro 2008. Ye need a good manager tho. One more win in your group this time would have put ye in with a fighting chance.

• 1 month later...

Burnley Out!!!!!!!!!!!!

George Burley: It's not up to me whether I stay in charge for next Scotland match

Nov 15 2009 Gordon Waddell, Sunday Mail

GEORGE BURLEY last night dodged questions on his future after a catastrophe in Cardiff then turned his fire on Scotland's flops.

The national manager's reign took another lurch backwards yesterday as three goals in 19 humiliating first-half minutes from patched-up Wales left his side broken and beaten.

The 3-0 defeat leaves Burley with just three wins from 14 games - and it was the final straw for the Tartan Army who loudly demanded his head throughout the game.

Four months before the draw for Euro 2012 his tenure is teetering on the brink.

But asked if he would consider his position Burley seemed to answer a different question.

He said: "Like anything, you look at it and assess the game.

"I had said to the boys 'the spirit was good, training was lively, there was competition' but they switched off." Quizzed further about fans calling for his head he shrugged: "I'm not surprised.

"When you're the manager and your team performs like that you're going to get stick from the crowd."

Did it undermine his position then? "As a manager you're disappointed with a defeat," he replied.

"I have a squad of player I'm utilising and we didn't perform.

"The first half wasn't good enough.

For 30 minutes it was shocking."

Burley was finally pinned down to an answer when asked if he would be in charge for the friendly with the Czech Republic in March.

He admitted: "That's up to other people, isn't it?" However, SFA chief executive Gordon Smith refused to comment on the manager's future last night.

Assessing the game - a near carbon copy of a 4-0 defeat here under Berti Vogts in 2004 - Burley said: "We were looking to get some positives but couldn't find any. We were OK for 20 minutes and had chances then folded like a pack of cards.

"It was shocking defending and we never recovered.

"It was a poor display and we never got going. The first half was terrible and that's something we can't afford to happen.

"I felt the squad was getting stronger and after the last few games I thought we were going in the right direction but we went back the way here.

"There are no excuses - that performance wasn't good enough.

"I'm not picking out individuals. One or two players are finding it hard at club level but as a team we weren't good enough.

"In every department we didn't function.

"I can't put my finger on one area because we were poor everywhere."

Burley survived by the skin of his teeth after the World Cup campaign. But the national boss offered up a defence of his record and claimed he could only work with the tools at his disposal.

He said: "This is where we are as a country and as a team right now.

"I can't magic other players into the squad. I'm picking the best squad and trying to get the best out of them. That's all I can do as manager." .

Well here's one off the wall for you. I truly believe Sir Alex owes football a year or two of his life before he goes, not dominated by his personal ambition. He should take a step back from United and give his National team the benefit of his experience before he retires.

George Burley sacked by Scotland. Hardly a surprise after Saturday.

BBC Football

George Burley has been sacked as manager of Scotland after a poor sequence of results.

The 53-year-old former Ipswich and Hearts boss leaves the post after 22 months, along with assistants, Terry Butcher and Paul Hegarty.

Burley, who was contracted to 2012, was given a vote of confidence after a dismal World Cup qualifying campaign.

However, following friendly defeats in Japan and Wales, the SFA have had a change of heart.

Burley won just three of his 14 games in charge and his sacking follows the 3-0 friendly defeat in Cardiff on Saturday.

Gordon Smith, SFA chief executive, said in a statement: "It is with regret that we announce George Burley's departure. We now have four months until our next scheduled match, against Czech Republic, and will therefore utilise the intervening period to ensure we attract the best possible replacement to take Scotland forward.

"The decision was taken after a meeting with the board of directors and, subsequently, the national coach.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Who should replace George Burley?

"The board was in unanimous agreement. It should be stressed that the decision was not a direct consequence of Saturday's unacceptable 3-0 defeat to Wales but, rather, a realisation that the expectations of the supporters, the Scottish FA and George, himself, were not being met.

"I should point out that the Scottish FA stands by its decision to give the national coach our full support despite failure to qualify for the World Cup play-offs. It would have been negligent not to have given George every opportunity to rebuild and revitalise the squad in light of the improved performances in the last two qualifiers against Macedonia and Holland.

"Unfortunately, the adverse results in the two subsequent friendly matches against Japan and Wales provided confirmation that the improvement could not be sustained.

"On a personal note, I would like to thank George for his contribution and, on behalf of the Scottish FA, I wish him all the best for the future."

George Peat, Scottish FA president added: "I would like to echo the sentiments of the chief executive and stress that today's decision has not been taken lightly. The board will now enter into a period of private discussion to ensure the Scottish FA finds the best candidate ahead of the qualification campaign for Euro 2012."

The departing Burley, who played 11 times for Scotland, said: "I would like to take the opportunity to express my thanks to my backroom team, the Scottish FA, the players and the Tartan Army for the support they have shown throughout my tenure as national coach and I wish the national team success for the future."

Burley began his managerial career at Ayr United before enjoying success at Ipswich, the club where he had made his name as a player.

BURLEY GETS THE AXE

Scotland's problems run deep

By Neil Drysdale

November 17, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Scotland's football supporters have been asked to display a limitless amount of patience down the years. The Tartan Army shelled out humungous amounts of cash to watch their heroes depart for Argentina in 1978 - and thousands of them lined the streets to the city's airport, en route to a World Cup campaign, which contained the good, bad and ugly in disproportionate amount - and, long after Ally MacLeod's men had given up the ghost, the supporters clung to the idea of believing in miracles.

GettyImages

SFA chief Gordon Smith (L) and SFA president George Peat: The men who backed Burley

But, finally, the foot soldiers have had enough. They have sat through sufficient displays of under-achievement to recognise that change is no longer advisable, but a necessity. And, although the media will rightly focus on the departure of George Burley, following an ill-starred reign of three victories in 14 matches, the anger which exists throughout Scottish football extends far beyond the hapless antics of Burley, who always exuded the impression of being the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In short, the repercussions from Burley's tenure and the cack-handed fashion in which his employers have ended his tenure mean that there is no point in planning for the future without dealing with the past; logically, unemotionally.

Time, surely, for George Peat, the hapless chairman of the governing body, to fall on his sword, given his utterly inadequate response to events, both before, during and after the employment and protracted sacking of Burley. Time, also, for Gordon Smith, the perma-tanned chief executive of the SFA, to accept responsibility for his involvement in a screw-up of monumental proportions, whether in the aftermath of the lamentable "Boozegate" fiasco, or his complicity in allowing Burley to cling on to power, when it was patently obvious that he should have departed at the climax of a World Cup qualification effort, where the least the SFA's finest should have been striving for was a place in the play-offs.

After all, when the Scots were drawn in the same section as the Netherlands, Macedonia, Norway and Iceland, the fans, quite rightly, surmised that the latter trio were eminently beatable. This was no "Group of Death", more a kiss of life for a Glasgow-based gerontocracy. But, oblivious to that perspective, the SFA and Burley stumbled from one self-inflicted crisis to another, painstakingly eradicating the progress which had been made under Walter Smith and Alex McLeish.

It hardly needs adding that the manager's ability to turn any minor kerfuffle into a full-scale diplomatic incident was a testimony to his inability to comprehend the dynamics of dressing-room politics. Yes, he might have been justified in banishing Kris Boyd once the Rangers striker had stated his refusal to continue playing for his country after suffering an alleged snub. And yes, he was probably entitled to blow a gasket at the antics of Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor, although one wonders where Burley was, while the Rangers duo were drinking to excess at the Cameron House Hotel. But, in the end, leadership demands co-existence and concessions and there was no sense of that throughout his 22-month stint.

GettyImages

George Burley: It all went so wrong

The pressing concern now has to lie in signing a replacement with the requisite abilities to steer the Scots back into FIFA's elite nations. It won't be an easy task and the scale of the problem can be summed up in one simple question: Who wants the job? Graeme Souness has quickly ruled himself out of contention, while there is no prospect of Sir Alex Ferguson, David Moyes or even Owen Coyle risking their reputations by grasping on to a poisoned chalice.

I spoke to one, well-regarded English-based manager and his reply was unequivocal. "Why would I want the hassle? We don't have the players, the SFA are a bunch of wasters and nobody in their right mind would want to spend only two or three weeks a year with Scotland. Why would I bother wasting my time?"

These are questions which demand urgent answers from the governing body. In Scotland, football remains an integral part of the social fabric and the reports of Burley's imminent demise featured on Monday's front and back pages of the country's leading newspapers.

The SFA is insisting that it doesn't have to appoint a replacement before 2010, but even here, it betrays how out of touch it is with the prevailing mood. They have failed, both in terms of making the job a tempting prospect for the world's best, and in persuading the best Scottish coaches that they have the professionalism to lure a Alex Ferguson or David Moyes, let alone a Craig Levein, Billy Davies or Mark McGhee. Yet, things aren't that bad.

After all, Scotland's under-21s are packed with talent and ambition and there is greater potential amongst the under-18s than for the last 20 years. With the right support network and encouragement, the present mess could be turned around fairly quickly. But who, in the right minds, wants to dig for diamonds with Peat at the surface?

Souness or O'Dreary please. :)

Souness summed it up - Even Fergie and Wenger together couldn't do anything with the useless bunch of tits in the Scotland squad.

When was the last time Scotland produced a world class player.

This from the country who gave the world Law, Baxter, Dalgleish etc...... now we have nothing but numpties

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Scotland 0 Sweden 3

I watched the game. We

were lucky to get nil.

A fair assessment although I admit my attention had difted to the Dutch girls in the bar next door by the second half. Thank God for that.

Even with a full squad next month we have to hope for a bit of luck. Well a lot of luck really.

Archived