Thailand's drug penalties 'unfair, laws need rethink'

webfact

I think it's alright to put meth in the same category as heroin because it does severe damage to people who are addicted to it. In my opinion even more so than heroin.

The article was not very clear, I too was confused, but once you read more carefully you will see he made the distinction between meth and amphetamine; He said meth should be up there with heroin, but amphetamine should not.

Amphetamine and methamphetamine are two different drugs.

Yes, they are, but the negative effects they have on you are more or less the same.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's alright to put meth in the same category as heroin because it does severe damage to people who are addicted to it. In my opinion even more so than heroin.

The article was not very clear, I too was confused, but once you read more carefully you will see he made the distinction between meth and amphetamine; He said meth should be up there with heroin, but amphetamine should not.

Amphetamine and methamphetamine are two different drugs.

Yes, they are, but the negative effects they have on you are more or less the same.

After taking ecstasy you generally have an "urge" to experience it again, and some people might binge on it every weekend or month for a few years (or course some more, some less).

But you don't wake up in the morning craving an ecstasy pill like you do with coffee, cigarettes or meth. It's a different level of addiction. It's the addiction and the amount of meth consumed that makes it so dangerous.

If your meth addicts could restrict themselves to using once a month and short sessions with plenty of sleep, it would not be nearly as dangerous. The more dangerous part (as with any clandestine drug) would be all the impurities that you are actually consuming.

Edited by someonelovesyou

In the few countries that all drugs have been legalised, the crime rate dropped more than half. The prisons emptied. In fact drug addiction goes down. With accessible treatment centers, people choose to stop taking drugs all by themselves. After they get through their addiction,former addicts are know to be hard workers and dedicated family carers. The drug war has been failing for years. Time to try something different.

When drug use is characterized as criminal, people are less inclined to get help with their addiction. When it is characterized as a weakness, people are much more inclined to seek help when they need it. If the lesser drugs are legal, they can be properly taxed like tobacco and alcohol, and those taxes can be used to fund treatment centers and education programs. More money to treat those who fall into the trap, less burden for the police and legal system. Win win.

For the more dangerous drugs, use should not be punished with prison. It should require mandatory placement in one of the clinics funded by the above taxes.

With most drugs legalized, and sold by properly licensed dealers, the money flowing to the criminals is greatly reduced, diminishing their power. The police have more time and resources to focus on arresting these folks.

All too logical for politicians to grasp.

Smoke addicts started with the first stick. Drug addicts start with the first puff of weed.

Let's install coin dispensers at every school.

Yawn....the thoroughly debunked gateway myth. What's alcohol a gateway too? Oh yeah, rape, murder, suicide, liver disease,* heart attacks, and so on. Are you Harry Anslinger's and Richard Nixon's love child or something? Wake up man, it's not 1950 any more!

*You know what that big "beer gut" sticking out from the ribs down is? Guess what, it's not fat, the top part is a seriously enlarged liver. Charming, in'nit?

In the few countries that all drugs have been legalised, the crime rate dropped more than half. The prisons emptied. In fact drug addiction goes down. With accessible treatment centers, people choose to stop taking drugs all by themselves. After they get through their addiction,former addicts are know to be hard workers and dedicated family carers. The drug war has been failing for years. Time to try something different.

When rape, killing and robbery/theft are legalised, crime rates would fall by more than 80% too.

Addict's need to fund their habit's and turn to crime to pay for it, hence a drop in crime when legalised. Your comparison is nonsense.

If you do the crime, you Do The Time.

Indonesia has the right attitude, ensures these low life creatures will never again sell their filthy products to kids.

you don't know the first thing about Indonesian drug law other than what your seeing in the news about executions of smugglers.

Admit it. Or quickly go study up and claim you are an informed TV poster with an opinion based on sceptical study of all relevant materials.

I'll not take a swipe at you this time, positive approach apparently works better.