Johnny Depp's dogs face death in Australia

webfact

IMPULSE

Are you saying that because someone is rich, famous etc that he shouldn't follow the rules, laws of the country that he is visiting? As someone has already said, people know the strict laws in Australia on this subject. Whilst I don't want his dogs to be put down, he could be fined and the dogs sent back home. Perhaps his ex-partner would have them, then they can be sent to France. His kids would love to have them.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Depp shows them where they can go....

If the self centred yank wants to bare his naked rear end at Australia, Australians and the law then he should cop the full penalty for his action which is imprisonment for bringing unauthorised animals into the country. Cancel his visa and deport this arrogant yank. This do you realise who I am, I'm a god damn American and we are untouchable attitude doesn't wash with Australians so he can bugger off.

So let's see. A Hollywood production company pumps tens of millions of dollars into the economy shooting their 5th (4th??, I don't know) sequel in Oz. And because you don't like Yanks who don't fly commercial, you'd have them kill 2 innocent dogs (the size of a bunny) belonging to the actor who is the key to the multi-billion dollar franchise, and whose contract could probably have them filming their next move in any country he chooses.

That's wrong on so many levels... Methinks the minister would be looking for a new job about 5 minutes after it happened. Just on economic grounds. In fact, given the publicity, I suggest he dust off his CV anyway.

I am talking about the law who cares who they are or how bloody rich they may be, Australia is not Thailand and laws apply to everyone, rich aren't exempt. Depp and the production company probably knew well in advance when shooting was going to start. He managed to aquire a multi million dollar mansion on the Gold Coast well in advance, sure he could have required permits for his dogs.

If the self centred yank wants to bare his naked rear end at Australia, Australians and the law then he should cop the full penalty for his action which is imprisonment for bringing unauthorised animals into the country. Cancel his visa and deport this arrogant yank. This do you realise who I am, I'm a god damn American and we are untouchable attitude doesn't wash with Australians so he can bugger off.

So let's see. A Hollywood production company pumps tens of millions of dollars into the economy shooting their 5th (4th??, I don't know) sequel in Oz. And because you don't like Yanks who don't fly commercial, you'd have them kill 2 innocent dogs (the size of a bunny) belonging to the actor who is the key to the multi-billion dollar franchise, and whose contract could probably have them filming their next move in any country he chooses.

That's wrong on so many levels... Methinks the minister would be looking for a new job about 5 minutes after it happened. Just on economic grounds. In fact, given the publicity, I suggest he dust off his CV anyway.

Methinks you think wrong.

The law is quite clear regarding bringing animals into Australia - it can be done with the appropriate quarantine controls - usually six months in quarantine ofr a dog or cat.

Sounds harsh? Australia is a relatively clean country with a very large agricultural industry and has an excellent reputation. it doesn't need to run the risk, however small of sullying that reputation.

The minister has said the right thing, maybe not in Oxford English granted.

I think most Aussies would agree with his sentiment. There have been a few ecological disasters in the past...rabbits and cane toads....never want that repeated.

Put the mutts back on the jet and fly them back to the USA.

I agree with you. Think what would happen if a country tried to ship all their criminals to Australia? Sheesh, one can only guess what a problem that would be for the local population.

Aussie will kill a dog but not execute a druggy. That is one screwed up country.blink.png

To judge a country by a single incident is as shortsighted as the emoticon.

The law, as it pertains to dogs, is their law and not mine.

The law, as it pertains to the users of illegal drugs, is their law and not mine.

I one is unhappy with the laws of a country, they are certainly free to become a citizen of that country and fight for change.

IMPULSE

Are you saying that because someone is rich, famous etc that he shouldn't follow the rules, laws of the country that he is visiting? As someone has already said, people know the strict laws in Australia on this subject. Whilst I don't want his dogs to be put down, he could be fined and the dogs sent back home. Perhaps his ex-partner would have them, then they can be sent to France. His kids would love to have them.

No, I'm saying that a reasonable civil servant could come up with a solution that doesn't involve threatening to kill the guy's beloved pets, and having those threats publicized in the international press using terms like "bugger off".

Edited by impulse

Aussie will kill a dog but not execute a druggy. That is one screwed up country.blink.png

To judge a country by a single incident is as shortsighted as the emoticon.

The law, as it pertains to dogs, is their law and not mine.

The law, as it pertains to the users of illegal drugs, is their law and not mine.

I one is unhappy with the laws of a country, they are certainly free to become a citizen of that country and fight for change.

Or you could just jump on a boat and go somewhere else.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Send the Yank out of the country, stop production of the movie and put all those Aussie workers, technicians, drivers, caterers, actors, and stunt people out of work.

Who does he think he is anyway.

...or...

...quarantine the dogs, fine Depp some Aussie dollars and continue employment for all those nice Aussie citizens.

Edited by chuckd

How on earth did the dogs get over the border and to a groomer?

They should have been held in AQIS facilities at the airport.

The minister should be looking into THAT!

Read the article and easily find the answer.

I am sure that some of the rats from some of the vessels with illegal immigrants pose a greater danger to the environment than these two dogs do. That said, the dogs should have been confiscated and put in quarantine. They should have been checked by a vet to see if they presented an imminent danger to the environment. If not, then Mr. Depp should have been contacted to find out what he wanted done and the choices would be to send them back or perhaps put to sleep. He should be charged and fined for this.

The dogs most likely have the required shots. They may not have to go all the way back to the US. There may be a closer country where he can send them if he wants to visit on weekends.

There is no excuse. Most every half smart traveler knows Australian Quarantine laws are very strict and apply to everyone as does the Indonesian laws regarding drugs.

Depp was just being full of himself. The solution is simple, get his pilots out of holiday mode and fly the muts home. Hopefully they will be placed into 6 months of quarantine when they lob back into the USA or where ever he resides.

Most likely he rented the "private" jet and the pilots are long gone.

HaHa love it. :-)

I am talking about the law who cares who they are or how bloody rich they may be, Australia is not Thailand and laws apply to everyone, rich aren't exempt. Depp and the production company probably knew well in advance when shooting was going to start. He managed to aquire a multi million dollar mansion on the Gold Coast well in advance, sure he could have required permits for his dogs.

Lol, you are getting entirely too worked up about this and taking it entirely too personal. He simply wanted to bring his pets with him while on site for extended period of time, not smuggle a bunch of nasty illegal animals. I get that the law is broad and he f'ed up, but jeez. People need to chillax. No one is demeaning Australians or trying to act better than. Depp is actually a pretty chill guy that does not have a bad attitude.

Now, Chooka, it's not because he's a self-centered Yank, it's because he's a self-centered celebrity, who doesn't know how to act in public.

If it is, as you make out, all about the money, then the dogs should have been shot forthwith already.

Australia is an island, unlike the US, and thus protection from imported diseases is not just feasible, but is of a high priority.

One or a dozen multi-million dollar movies would never compensate for some pest or disease being let loose in the country.

Now, Chooka, it's not because he's a self-centered Yank, it's because he's a self-centered celebrity, who doesn't know how to act in public.

Really? Where do you get this stuff? Jonny Deep is typically reported as a very nice, genuine guy that does a lot of charitable work. He makes surprise appearances out of the media spot light a children's hospitals and schools dressed as a pirate. He donates a lot of money to charities to help children. I am sure he has his moments from time to time as he is HUMAN . . ., but time and time again people always comment how down to earth and giving he is.

Curious why people just make up lame bs to cut down someone like him. Is it jealousy? Envy? Spite? or just a lack of understanding?

Lol, you are getting entirely too worked up about this and taking it entirely too personal. He simply wanted to bring his pets with him while on site for extended period of time, not smuggle a bunch of nasty illegal animals. I get that the law is broad and he f'ed up, but jeez. People need to chillax. No one is demeaning Australians or trying to act better than. Depp is actually a pretty chill guy that does not have a bad attitude.

One can not get too worked up about a breach of quarantine laws.

If an ebola patient landed in the US, would you insist that quarantine laws were followed?

The dogs are an unknown factor...Australia is an island, and as such is free of many of the pests and diseases that the US suffers from. Breach quarantine, and you risk an eternity of problems.

This is an ancient law which needs serious overhaul.

Anyone with half a brain would know and understand, no one in their right mind would pay up to $3000 to bring a sick pet over.

House pets are not a threat to Australia in anyway what so ever, and i am certain Jonny's Yorkshires are not rabies carrying monsters nor are they infected with anything other "life or agriculture threatening disease"

It is totally insane to keep house pets in quarantine for 9 months, not to mention to expect people to pay outrages bills of like $7000 for 1 cat.

One can not get too worked up about a breach of quarantine laws.

If an ebola patient landed in the US, would you insist that quarantine laws were followed?

The dogs are an unknown factor...Australia is an island, and as such is free of many of the pests and diseases that the US suffers from. Breach quarantine, and you risk an eternity of problems.

Funny, if you cannot see what my comments were directed at, then . . . Never mind, some just want to put their own spin on things and taking something a bit out of context for that purpose apparently satiates certain need in egomaniacs driven by deep seeded inferiority complexes.

I would also think there are many and much more serious problems with flea bag people bringing stuff in, spreading stuff around and creating serious health and economic consequences for Australia than two pets that were surely immunized and perhaps better taken care of than many organisms in Australia.

Based on tenor and reactions here, some are personalizing or internalizing this because he is Johnny Depp and for whatever reason that stirs up something internalized. I mean cm'mon. Throw him in jail. Kill his pets. Deport him. Calling him self-centered and saying he does not know how to act in public? Dude does much more for others, especially children, than any one on here and most of what he does is unannounced so media is not present.

impulse

I do agree with you. I think that the Minister could have remembered that he was a representative of a country and not used such vulgar language to the press nor made such a scandal. Would this have got into the press at all, if it had been Mr. Joe Smith. It could be also that Depp genuinely didn't know about the regulations. Many countries in Europe don't have these regulations.

Just on economics, the minister, the agrarian socialist that he is, is on the money.

Biosecurity breaches can cost the farming community multiples of what this movie will even make for oz.

And given it is being made in oz it no doubt is getting some sort of tax break or grant so to be honest, he can take his dogs and shove them - on economic grounds of course.

So you're claiming that it's either or... Risk losing the farm income or risk losing the movie revenue?

A 3rd grader could come up with a solution that risks neither, and costs the country nothing. I'd expect at least that from a ministerial level civil servant.

The minister made a judgment error with his attitude and his choice of words. Fortunately, I've seen him on more recent web videos in the past few hours, and he's toned down his rhetoric quite a bit.

Apparently, they are all buggering back off to the US if these are moving trucks in article below . . ., so:

Australia 1

Boo and Pistol 0

Proud victory for Australians everywhere, national crisis adverted and good job at getting rid of the heathen Depp clan.

Dogs are like children to some people. Threatening to put them down is pretty hard core.

----------

'We will destroy them': Removal truck leaves Johnny Depp's rented Gold Coast home after actor is given 50 hours to get his 'illegal' terriers out of Australia or have them put down

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3080227/Claims-Amber-Heard-Johnny-Depp-failed-declare-pets-Pistol-Boo-mean-seized-down.html

Edited by F430murci

The OP says DOGS, but then we discover they are Yorkshire Terriers?

Did you think Yorkies were guinea pigs?

Soak them both in water and I challenge you to tell which is which...

Same same with my schnauzers and rats.

Edited by impulse