Immigration Moving?

ThaiPauly

Can't wait to have a nice lunch at the Dukes, shop at Rim Ping and stay cool in a real air conditioned building while awaiting my turn at immigration. As for the clothing police, I wear clean shorts, a clean Tshirt, and I shower before I go to immigration. My hygiene is your business when we're crammed into a small space, my choice of clothing is not.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'll have to share Prom with all the riff raff sad.png

Sad - but true....I was at immigration last week for the first time in a couple of years.....The way people dressed was appalling - even when you discount the flakey ones and look at the rest.....A minority of us were dressed in a presentable manner - clean/pressed/groomed nice casual attire....

The rest I wouldn't want to see in my neighborhood/area.....

Maybe I was there at a bad time but these people would NOT look good -or natural/in their element walking around a nice shopping mall....Possibly a Walmart in Reno Nev or Vidor/Beaumont Tex or border town somewhere.....

What is it with you people and your fashion fetishes? seriously, I have been here for years and been to Imm. too many times and can't remember more than a couple of people that badly turned out. The fact you feel the majority have it wrong reflects more on your fetish than on them.... oh well whatever it takes for you to feel superior to the unwashed masses... I think I understand, poor guy.

Could care less whether you comprehend or not.....We are in somebody elses "house"....And we are asking their permission to remain here.....As a matter respect and courtesy to our hosts we should represent ourselves accordingly while asking.....Not too hard to understand and no fetish required.....If that's beyond you so be it.......

My last comment on this,... Immigration sets the rules. , if they had a problem with someone they would send them away,(and not get their 1,900baht) why overdress to visit a hot grotty Imm. office if you don't have to? Who are you to judge others, yea, it is your personal fetish.

Sad - but true....I was at immigration last week for the first time in a couple of years.....The way people dressed was appalling - even when you discount the flakey ones and look at the rest.....A minority of us were dressed in a presentable manner - clean/pressed/groomed nice casual attire....

Maybe I was there at a bad time but these people would NOT look good -or natural/in their element walking around a nice shopping mall....Possibly a Walmart in Reno Nev or Vidor/Beaumont Tex or border town somewhere.....

What is it with you people and your fashion fetishes? seriously, I have been here for years and been to Imm. too many times and can't remember more than a couple of people that badly turned out. The fact you feel the majority have it wrong reflects more on your fetish than on them.... oh well whatever it takes for you to feel superior to the unwashed masses... I think I understand, poor guy.

Could care less whether you comprehend or not.....We are in somebody elses "house"....And we are asking their permission to remain here.....As a matter respect and courtesy to our hosts we should represent ourselves accordingly while asking.....Not too hard to understand and no fetish required.....If that's beyond you so be it.......

You think only "a minority of us were dressed in a presentable manner". I disagree with you -- and agree with Daoyai: only a small minority are really badly turned out.

"Dress like me or it's unacceptable"......LMAO. Keep telling yourself that.

Thanks for the laugh.

I don't look at it as a fetish I look at it as a need to feel superior. The staff in immigration don't have time to judge people by what they wear. Just by their properly prepared forms.

Can't wait to have a nice lunch at the Dukes, shop at Rim Ping and stay cool in a real air conditioned building while awaiting my turn at immigration. As for the clothing police, I wear clean shorts, a clean Tshirt, and I shower before I go to immigration. My hygiene is your business when we're crammed into a small space, my choice of clothing is not.

Agree about the hygiene as for the dress that is their means of feeling superior to others. Not a fetish. When they do get into the new quarters Hygiene will not be a problem they can always find a spot far away from the one who is offending them. Unlike the old office it will be an air conditioned spot.

That is one of the big attractions to using the Promenada for immigration. It has every thing. The only down side will be location for some people. But that is already a down side for some people where it is now. On the other hand it might be an eye opener to some who have never been to the Promenada.

You think only "a minority of us were dressed in a presentable manner". I disagree with you -- and agree with Daoyai: only a small minority are really badly turned out.

As I said - it might have been that one time while I was there....I wasn't really looking to measure anyone.....It started when I first noticed a 50/60ish plumpish Brittish lady dressed in a sagging revealing dress with a body on display that was tattoo'd everywhere and pierced everywhere including her cheeks out the sides of her mouth and coifed to match.......then out of curiosity I looked around while walking and waiting for a couple of hours for my "set" appointment.....possibly just a timing factor......on that day and time sloppy was "in".......

Agree about the hygiene as for the dress that is their means of feeling superior to others. Not a fetish. When they do get into the new quarters Hygiene will not be a problem they can always find a spot far away from the one who is offending them. Unlike the old office it will be an air conditioned spot.

That is one of the big attractions to using the Promenada for immigration. It has every thing. The only down side will be location for some people. But that is already a down side for some people where it is now. On the other hand it might be an eye opener to some who have never been to the Promenada.

Maybe they'll install showers or people walk through a bowls of disinfected water?

It's the foreigners that care about the hygeine of others, the immigration staff couldn't give a toss.

As you said before, they're more concerned that the paperwork is in order and doesn't cause them stress.

The Promenada Mall opens at 10am, but the Immigration Office opens at 8.30 am, so how is that going to work? Also, unless Immigration employs more staff, the night security staff at the Mall are not going to be happy with visa extension applicants arriving at 5am.

True but all will be revealed in "Thai" time until then everything is pure speculation.Lets say that things appear to be moving in the right direction

Love your quote "Thai" time

Maybe they'll install showers or people walk through a bowls of disinfected water?

It's the foreigners that care about the hygeine of others, the immigration staff couldn't give a toss.

As you said before, they're more concerned that the paperwork is in order and doesn't cause them stress.

Must admit Ups, walk through showers would be a nice touch !

I couldn't agree more. Some of them had straggly long hair that obviously needed tying up in a bun or a ponytail, and the women were just as bad. Having a shave before you go would also be appropriate - there is nothing more inconsiderate than a dirty unshaven face...... come on girls make an effort.

Back on track - wonder if they will have an access door from the outside for early arrival activity.....?

An office open mall hours would not seem feasable....but might be workable 10 - 8 ......

Edited by pgrahmm

Back on track - wonder if they will have an access door from the outside for early arrival activity.....?

An office open mall hours would not seem feasable....but might be workable 10 - 8 ......

Immigrations unit is on the ground floor, garden zone. It has 2 access doors. One from the car park and the other faces the pond.

So there should be no issues with immigration opening earlier than the rest of the mall - actually I think rimping also opens at 8am

The suggestion of "showers" and "bowls of disinfected water" is an attempt at humor, I suppose, which subsequent posters have picked up on. I do agree that the Immigration officers are obviously and primarily more concerned by paperwork, but I don't agree that that "the immigration staff couldn't give a toss about the personal hygiene or the appropriate dress of foreigners there on immigration business. That is not just my personal reflection, but feedback in casual conversation with officers over the years.

Chiang Mai Immigration staff are human, and, you'll have to agree they don't come to work in cut-off shorts and wife-beater tee-shirts. They generally look rather spiffy despite all the unpleasantness of the general situation. Secondly, attempts with the clear request for "appropriate dress" seems to have been pretty much given up by the Chiang Mai office as ineffective when visiting the office. So, what about these standards? More generally, what sort of impression do those who don't respect some rather basic innocuous but generally acceptable dress practices make? Some foreigners turn out like poor white trash, as said in America! No wonder farang is often a negative term!

I appreciate that many ThaiVisa Chiang Mai posters, including regulars, don't agree, but I'm going to try to support basic hygiene and sartorial rules anyway. Some hard core cases, obviously, don't care a flying <deleted>, but here goes!

Showers? There is no question that the current hot house of an Immigration office is unpleasant, especially in these very hot days. Why others don't recognize this by arriving in reasonably refreshed form is a puzzle.

Clothing? I suspect that most (but certainly not all) problems with attire have to do with men, but --- male or female --- there are "appropriate" ways to dress in Thailand. Appropriate general attire for general urban circulation in Thailand for males --- except for informal neighborhood dress or because the person is an agricultural or day laborer (and so on) is a clean pair of long pants and clean shirt, usually not a polo shirt except for sports --- and no flip-flops. This is readily apparent just about anywhere --- just take a look around! --- and, especially, in any government office. For women, spaghetti straps and bouncing boobs don't make a big hit in most circles except karaoke clubs and worse, like along the side of the moat road at midnight! Parenthetically, I should add that the woman who did the naked bungee jump in Mae Rim has a terrific body, but I don't think she showed up at the Immigration office for a visa extension!

It seems that Thailand unfortunately draws a lot of foreigners who figure anything goes. Well, as extraordinarily tolerant as Thai culture is, no, not everything "goes." To you, who are so jealous of your personal "rights" or your efforts to save money by not buying soap, why not respect where you are? If you hang out in a cheap bar --- okay --- hang out! If you visit Immigration, button your fly!

While we're on the topic I'll mention my pet peeve - vests that expose hairy armpits. On your deckchair on the beach, in your garden, or in a rough bar, okay, but in a public building, government office or a restaurant? Not appropriate. The same applies to the men.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Immigrations unit is on the ground floor, garden zone. It has 2 access doors. One from the car park and the other faces the pond.

So there should be no issues with immigration opening earlier than the rest of the mall - actually I think rimping also opens at 8am

Isn't it still dark at 8am?

Fashion aside, one's manner is more important, no matter the office. Given the ordeal when air-con fails, it is easy to understand dressing down.

Worst farang I ever saw in that office was wearing freshly pressed trousers with a neat plad shirt , his mouth open and volume high. Indignant, he was. Whereas, calm and smile (not to mention the Thai language) go much further in easing transactions.

In any case, this is a decision to be made by Thai officials. Period. (As is the new office).<on topic part

I wouldn't get your hopes up... I don't thing they mean the Promenade Mall...

They most likely mean the Immigration office near Promenade Mall where they have the address verification scam...

And if so I hope they at least pave the parking lot... coffee1.gif

Yes, they go into the Promenada building.I got this first hand from organisation staff at Promenada.

As mentioned by me in an earlier thread, Immi have 'the keys' for the area from june first onwards.

When they will start operating there is a second thing.

Chiang Mai's best kept secret no doubt. Reading this thread I get opinions mostly from the perimeter people but nothing from the inner circle which seems strange. Nobody with links/direct contact to the Immigration office has been forthcoming. Does April fools come twice a year or are we just dancing around the Maypole.

Curious... What is that shiny new white building that was just built across the street from the present immigration?... It looks like a perfect new immigration building?

Yes I was wondering that myself last visit at the beginning of May but then I dropped the idea as it made to much sense with all that parking and wide open space. As soon as things start to make sense I really question my thinking.

Let's not jump to conclusions about "all of Immigration" moving out to Promenada. One person who is at Promenada frequently told me he thinks the area they're working on is much too small to hold all of the current staff, let alone any additional staff members. He though perhaps they're just moving some functions out of the location near the airport.

If so, that could still be good in relieving the congestion at the current location, but it may not be the "saving of Promenda" unless they move the entire operation out there.

They are defiantly recruiting more staff I was speaking to one last night, been training for the last two weeks.

I think NancyL is right. I also know someone who is working at Promenada and he confirmed the news to me. He showed me the space and I must agree that it looks too small, no way they can fit in all the services they are providing now.

So where will the Immigration office be located, exactly. Inside the mall or outside?

Does anyone have an opening date besides "next month?"

I could not find any notice of the move on the immigration office web site.

More confusion than facts, again.

In reality, I have no clue about all this, and can only relate what one of the higher-ups at the office told me about 6 months ago. A) BKK finally approved CM Imm to hire 13 new staff. B) They are moving to a bigger, better building, with more than double the parking space - At Government House Complex in Mae Rim. How "higher up" was this person? Ohhh, the #2 in charge of the place.

Take it for what it's worth.

I wouldn't get your hopes up... I don't thing they mean the Promenade Mall...

They most likely mean the Immigration office near Promenade Mall where they have the address verification scam...

And if so I hope they at least pave the parking lot... coffee1.gif

This sounds more like the location. It is commonly refered to as 'Prominada'. Better parking, and freelance cash parking attendants on hand. Same place as the house registration certification.

I would assume that the Officer who said they would be moving to Promenade would be referring to moving to the large Imm complex which already houses part of the Imm Dept and which is located across the street from the actual Promenade shopping center - I am certain they would not be moving to the shopping center - that would be silly.

From what I understand, they will be housing all of immigration across the road from promenada where the burmese people are now processed.

It is rumoured that they finally have funds to build a new immigration building by the airport.