Non-imm O - Apply In The Last 30 Days?

I have a somewhat different situation here. I am in and out of Thailand, usually in 60-70 day segments. I am applying for a Non-Imm O based on my wife's employment and residence there (she too is a foreigner).

I do eventually want to settle in Thailand, but in the mean time want to avoid too many tourist stamps (and a variety of other reasons) - so also see this as a precursor to a retirement visa.

Here's the real question: My understanding has been that immigration won't want to see me until I have only 30 days left on my 90 entry. Is that true? If so, I won't be able to complete the one-year extension request. Generally, are the immigration officers flexible enough that if I explained my situation that they might process me in the 60-70 time frame?

I have a somewhat different situation here. I am in and out of Thailand, usually in 60-70 day segments. I am applying for a Non-Imm O based on my wife's employment and residence there (she too is a foreigner).

I do eventually want to settle in Thailand, but in the mean time want to avoid too many tourist stamps (and a variety of other reasons) - so also see this as a precursor to a retirement visa.

Here's the real question: My understanding has been that immigration won't want to see me until I have only 30 days left on my 90 entry. Is that true? If so, I won't be able to complete the one-year extension request. Generally, are the immigration officers flexible enough that if I explained my situation that they might process me in the 60-70 time frame?

Dress well, be polite and hop on in there and explain your position to Immigration. They may well consider you favorably. I am presuming that your wife has a work permit. Take copies of the wifes passport amd her WP when you go on in. Good luck. :o

The other way to do this is to enter on a 90 day non-immigrant entry permit, and then obtain a re-entry permit. When you next commute in and out, note the reentry permit on you TM card - and upon entering Thailand, request that Immigration designate your entry permit expiration date as per your original entry permit (instead of giving you a fresh entry permit). If they ask, just explain that you need this in order to apply for a long-term extension. They should understand this - this is a fairly routine occurence.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam