Problems Opening A Thai Bank Account

I have a friend called 'Google'.

His knowledge seems to have no bounds and he is never arguable.

I simply type in the name of a bank and ask what is required to open a bank account.

In the UK a normal account would be referred to as a 'current account' so if you ask for that type of account you are creating your own problems. Firstly you need to state 'I wish to open a Savings account' that will get a different response.

Different types of accounts have different criteria's but a Savings account can be opened by anyone on a Visa.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok bank was never foreigner friendly.

Kasikorn or krungsi, make sure to go to touristy zones, more likely to succeed and better English .

The standard "can not" is often because they do not know how to do.

PS. You will only need your passport and nothing else with these 2 banks

I have always found them t be the opposite, very friendly. Maybe it is your attitude that comes across, probably wrongly, as aggressive

Kasikorn or krungsi, make sure to go to touristy zones, more likely to succeed and better English .

I have always found them t be the opposite, very friendly. Maybe it is your attitude that comes across, probably wrongly, as aggressive

Yes I am sure you are by far more charming than me,only my post and point did not refer to clerks being friendly .

My post and point is Bangkok bank requires much more paperwork than other banks.

Same when it comes to loans , credit cards and everything else .

Yes I am sure you are by far more charming than me,only my post and point did not refer to clerks being friendly .

My post and point is Bangkok bank requires much more paperwork than other banks.

I am not sure what documentation you had but when I opened my account I had my Thai driving license and passport. That was it and I opened an account, received internet banking and an ATM card all within 30 minutes

I had problems opening up an account without a Work Permit but Bank of Ayudhya said no problem. I have a savings account that pays interest monthly and an ATM card they also offered me a Debit Card and foreign currency account but I did not need them. I am not sure if they still do?

Edited by FiestyFarang

I am not sure what documentation you had but when I opened my account I had my Thai driving license and passport. That was it and I opened an account, received internet banking and an ATM card all within 30 minutes

Yes, your charming personalitythumbsup.gif

I had problems opening up an account without a Work Permit but Bank of Ayudhya said no problem. I have a savings account that pays interest monthly and an ATM card they also offered me a Debit Card and foreign currency account but I did not need them. I am not sure if they still do?

An ATM card is a debit card!

They probably offered you a credit card.

Funny this. Just opened a Bkk bank a/c for the (Thai) wife. No problem. Did it in our small town. Then drove to KK to open her an FCD a/c.

'Oh need £3,500 to open'

No. look at YOUR pamphlet, only £200. Blank stare

. 'Look written here' ring wording. Cheesy smile

'oh sorry mister, you have £200?'

'Yes in MY FCD,'

'OK krup, you put in wifes a/c'

Yes, you give me a/c number, I put in.

Confused deer caught in headlights look

'How can I put in her a/c when I don't have number?'

'Ah, we open you put money in?'

Yes Einstein

Another 'amusing' story.

Appointment with Sa Ha Gone Health workers credit union to pay off SWMBO debt.

'Tirak ja, have man speak English?

Yes,yes

' What time appointment?'

Up to you

Needless to say, Man speak English on holiday for 2 weeks. Stumbled tho, eventually got account number of credit union, phone number of accounts clerk and instructions to call on making transfer. Does wife have membership number in credit union? Does she buggery! Would make life SO much easier to track transfers.

As you may have guessed, we are leaving Thailand. Wifes settlement visa came thro on Monday and we are leaving the lunatics in charge of the asylum. Never thought I would say it, but I can't wait to get back to UK. I have tried, for 10 years, but...

I wish all TV members the very best of luck

I opened a BKK account with only my Passport and proof of address.

You need to ask to open a savings account.........not a current account.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

In Thailand for a short time?

Staying for a long time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for

a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit

card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide

is your passport and one other official identification document – for example,

a reference letter from your embassy,

your home bank or a person acceptable

to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

If you have a work permit, are a permanent resident, or hold a long-stay visa, you can apply for a wider range of services such as a cheque account, internet banking and online international funds transfer services.

Savings Account

A savings account can be opened with a minimum deposit of 500Bt. Interest is calculated daily and will be credited to your account every six months. Accounts which become dormant with a balance below 2,000Bt will attract a monthly service charge.

When you open a savings account, you can opt to receive a handy Be1st Visa Debit card. You can use your card to withdraw cash, pay bills, or shop online or anywhere displaying the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

The Be1st Visa Debit Smart card is the first debit card in Thailand to use the latest EMV chip technology to keep your cash secure! This card can be used at Bangkok Bank ATM’s showing the Be1st Smart identification and online or at stores showing the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

Current Account

If you are a resident or are working in Thailand, with just a minimum deposit of 10,000Bt you can open a Bangkok Bank current account and be issued with personalized cheques. A monthly service charge may apply if the average balance is below 1,000Bt.

Fixed Deposit Account

To open a fixed deposit account with a range of deposit terms of up to three years, all you need is a minimum deposit of 2,000Bt. Please visit our latest deposit interest rates page to compare deposit rates.

Foreign Currency Deposit Account

With a Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) account, you can hold your funds in any of 14 currencies: USD, CNY, EUR, GBP, JPY, SGD, HKD, AUD, NZD, CHF, CAD, DKK, NOK, and SEK. This enables you to manage your foreign currency payments and income more effectively by minimizing risks from fluctuations in foreign currencies.

FCD account can be a savings, fixed deposit or current account, needing an initial opening deposit of USD 1,000 or the equivalent. Please note, the foreign currency deposit account can only be opened at certain branches - click here PDF_Icon.PNG to find your closest branch. You may also wish to view the Deposit and Withdrawal Fees, or other Conditions and Fees for the FCD account service.

Non-Resident Baht Account

A non-Resident Baht account may be useful if you plan to transfer funds to Thailand for investment purposes and intend to repatriate your funds in the future. Transactions are recorded in accordance with Bank of Thailand regulations.

Please note, this account is not appropriate for daily use as all transactions are manual and can only be made at the Head Office branch on Silom Road, Bangkok.

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit
    • Passport
    • Work Permit

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa
    • Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the

relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension

funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:

• Embassy or international organization
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document

showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a

condominium

Their website says that, actually getting it done is impossible.

I've tried 3 different branches in Chiang Mai, every single one told me the same thing: I need a Thai person to vouch for me, even when I showed them their own guidelines (I'd even organised my Australian bank to SWIFT message them.)

As an aside, with a Thai person vouching for you, do they become a guarantor or have any similar access to your account? Getting a Thai person to vouch for me isn't a problem, but I wouldn't want them having any access to the account I opened.

I opened a BKK account with only my Passport and proof of address.

You need to ask to open a savings account.........not a current account.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

In Thailand for a short time?

Staying for a long time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for

a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit

card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide

is your passport and one other official identification document – for example,

a reference letter from your embassy,

your home bank or a person acceptable

to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

If you have a work permit, are a permanent resident, or hold a long-stay visa, you can apply for a wider range of services such as a cheque account, internet banking and online international funds transfer services.

Savings Account

A savings account can be opened with a minimum deposit of 500Bt. Interest is calculated daily and will be credited to your account every six months. Accounts which become dormant with a balance below 2,000Bt will attract a monthly service charge.

When you open a savings account, you can opt to receive a handy Be1st Visa Debit card. You can use your card to withdraw cash, pay bills, or shop online or anywhere displaying the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

The Be1st Visa Debit Smart card is the first debit card in Thailand to use the latest EMV chip technology to keep your cash secure! This card can be used at Bangkok Bank ATM’s showing the Be1st Smart identification and online or at stores showing the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

Current Account

If you are a resident or are working in Thailand, with just a minimum deposit of 10,000Bt you can open a Bangkok Bank current account and be issued with personalized cheques. A monthly service charge may apply if the average balance is below 1,000Bt.

Fixed Deposit Account

To open a fixed deposit account with a range of deposit terms of up to three years, all you need is a minimum deposit of 2,000Bt. Please visit our latest deposit interest rates page to compare deposit rates.

Foreign Currency Deposit Account

With a Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) account, you can hold your funds in any of 14 currencies: USD, CNY, EUR, GBP, JPY, SGD, HKD, AUD, NZD, CHF, CAD, DKK, NOK, and SEK. This enables you to manage your foreign currency payments and income more effectively by minimizing risks from fluctuations in foreign currencies.

FCD account can be a savings, fixed deposit or current account, needing an initial opening deposit of USD 1,000 or the equivalent. Please note, the foreign currency deposit account can only be opened at certain branches - click here PDF_Icon.PNG to find your closest branch. You may also wish to view the Deposit and Withdrawal Fees, or other Conditions and Fees for the FCD account service.

Non-Resident Baht Account

A non-Resident Baht account may be useful if you plan to transfer funds to Thailand for investment purposes and intend to repatriate your funds in the future. Transactions are recorded in accordance with Bank of Thailand regulations.

Please note, this account is not appropriate for daily use as all transactions are manual and can only be made at the Head Office branch on Silom Road, Bangkok.

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit
    • Passport
    • Work Permit

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa
    • Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the

relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension

funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:

• Embassy or international organization
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document

showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a

condominium

Thanks FAZ

Just the sort of positive & relevant info I was looking for.

wow! alot of replies. thank you

i am currently staying in bang saray, tried to open at 4 different ones at central festival centre to no avail.

i shall try using my tenancy agreement and passport somewhere else.

i took my wife along who is thai but they all told her a work permit is needed

we own a house down south, would i be able to use this in pattaya to open one (obviously a different province) its unsurprisingly in my wifes name

Bangkok Bank is often the best bank for U.S. and U.K. retirees living in Thailand to be using because it has commercial branches in London and NYC. They are the ONLY Thai bank authorized by the U.S. government for direct deposit of Social Security and Veteran Administration pension payments and now, just recently, Tricare insurance reimbursements. Those of us with U.S. bank accounts can transfer funds using the ACH system and it's just like an interbank transfer in the U.S -- a very cheap way to move money from the U.S. into Thailand.

I don't know how you can get any more foreigner-friendly than that! Well, at least any more American friendly.

I have yet to find a Bangkok Bank branch that will allow me to open an account in NYC for deposits of my monies and then withdraw the funds in Thailand. Every one, so far, wants to charge me 5% per transaction. I am in Chiang Mai.
You don't open an account in a NYC Bangkok Bank. There are threads detailing how to do it. I don't remember the detail, as I have no use for it.

Savings Account

Does anyone know what the monthly fee is if under 2000 baht in account ?

and can these "Smart Chip" ATM cards be used in other countries ?

Thanks for the Info

The OP already went around without much luck. It's a regulation since even before the coup not to open bank account to foreigners without work permit.

Now if you have a lot of time on your hands you can walk around and try to talk a bank clerk into opening a bank account for you. But if you go to the Bangkok Bank's main branch in Silom you're GUARANTEED to walk away with a bank account and a debit card within one hour. Up to you.

I walk away with account and a card in 10 mins from krungsi bank in Pattaya ;)

Actually 3 accounts now :)

Me too,no problem

Not true. I opened my first account with passport when staying in an hotel as a tourist, at Silom branch. Never had a problem opening new accounts outside Bkk.

I to went to the Bangkok Bank in Udon Thani and opened 3 accounts less than 3 months ago. One account for my Visa and the one you described, one account as a joint account with my Thai Wife, and one account I use to bring in money from outside of Thailand for writing Checks. I opened their as I just moved from Pattaya.

You need I.D. and your Passport counts as one, and I think it was 1,000 Baht Minimum Deposit for each account. I don't have a Work Permit and I am here on a Retirement Visa.

The Bangkok Bank at the Emporium certainly isn't. There are a bunch of ---------s.

I use that branch and never had a problem. Opened an account with my passport, stateside drivers license and proof of thai residence(copy of rental agreement). Took less than 20 minutes. They did say I needed a work permit but when I showed my passport with the retirement extension all was good.

took my wife down to jomtien soi 5 today to get a residency 1 year permit, it was very esay to obtain, 3 photos next door and 1 form

then went to k-bank with

- residency permit

- a copy of my rental / tenancy agreement (which you can buy the blank template at a stationary shop and put whatever you like on)

- passport with non-o, 1 year visa

was told that as its my 1st year visa and i have to do visa runs etc i can only open a business account, deposit 10,000 bht, pay 800bht for a card and must pay 2500bht which gives me a years medical insurance covering death, accident and money towards bills. I wanted that anyway so i am fine with being upsold to, mai pen rai.

i now have a business debit card with internet banking

the best bit was, i got a free pencil case with a blue freaky looking cartoon cat on haha. (daughter was pleased!)

job done

thanks for all your input, it was most helpful. cheers

The only concern I have on my long standing account is that one day I go to the Branch as normal and am asked for my work permit before any withdrawals can be further made.

At that point the shight really hits the fan for many

That will not happen, there are too many accounts opened by too many people who do not have a work permit for it ever to be a requirement to withdraw money.

I am on tourist visa and opened account at BB in Central Festival 2nd road. All I needed was my passport and certificate of residence. I needed 500 baht to deposit into the account and 300 baht for the ATM card

3 other banks said they would not open me an account on a TR visa but at least you got sorted

• 1 month later...

I am on tourist visa and opened account at BB in Central Festival 2nd road. All I needed was my passport and certificate of residence. I needed 500 baht to deposit into the account and 300 baht for the ATM card

3 other banks said they would not open me an account on a TR visa but at least you got sorted

Do they give COR's to people on tourist visas?

(Just asking)

im trying pretty hard already. I only mentioned bkk bank but ive been to 4 or 5 other banks, inc Kasikorn where i already had an account for years.

The last account which i made was with bkk bank. First they said no. But after consulting a supervisor and explaining that i need a bank account on my name because of visa regulations, it worked; that's why i answered try harder smile.png