Sim registration can I use something else than passport?

rvdk

For a foreigner your passport is basically equivalent to the Thai ID card which Thais must use for SIM registration.

Your SIM service provider is the one to ask...but I expect they will want your passport.

Some articles regarding registration.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-starts-today/3627/

http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-thailand-update/3112/

Partical quote from one of hte articles.

The new rules come into effect on February the 1st, after which users will have 6 months to provide their personal details (name, ID, and of course the phone number in question) after which they will not be able to use their SIM. If you are a foreign citizen resident in Thailand, you will need to take your passport to register at any of the “subscriber information registration points” setup at Big C and Tesco Lotus, as well as 7-11 stores. It will also be possible in the near future to register at Krungthai registration point, but the date has not been officially confirmed yet.

If it's a prePaid SIM you can have a Thai (Wife/Girlfriend/Friend w/ benefits) register it in their name.

It just needs to be registered, and I would think if the registered person can present 'the SIM' on demand that should suffice.

PostPaid accounts might have a problem with that.

My kid didn't want a long wait so just grabbed my phone out of my hand and put our phones on the counter along with his Thai ID card.

The AIS shop used a smartphone app to take a picture of a USSD code response and his Thai ID card. Done, finished, 2 minutes tops. He can easily produce the phone if asked.

Passport should be easy, after all you are legally required to carry it at all times !

Well, yah; ..sort of, kind of; but not really as the Chief of Police recently stated that "approved" copies would also be acceptable. He did not however, quite delineate what constituted an "approved" copy so I guess you are pretty much right, in a way.

I tried to register at a 7/11 on soi Khao Noi the other day (last week) - they didn't have a clue and kept trying to sell me a new SIM card. After trying to explain to 2 clerks and the "manager" I finally gave up. Maybe a branch in a more "touristy" location would be a better choice (for foreigners at least) though you'd think that all 7/11s should be aware (and capable) of doing this.

I tried to register at a 7/11 on soi Khao Noi the other day (last week) - they didn't have a clue and kept trying to sell me a new SIM card. After trying to explain to 2 clerks and the "manager" I finally gave up. Maybe a branch in a more "touristy" location would be a better choice (for foreigners at least) though you'd think that all 7/11s should be aware (and capable) of doing this.

Maybe 7-eleven registration is only for new SIM's they sell over the counter and not for SIM's already in use? If you already have a SIM one needs to go to the company service desk?

Last week I registered 2 sims at the AIS shop at Huahin 3rd level. I went in to the AIS shop "on spec" as I did NOT have my passport with me and they accepted my Thai driving licence without any hesitation. Your passport number is on your driving licence. My old passport had expired so the number was wrong but I said nothing. No problems. I think you need to go to the official shop for your network where volume is high and maybe they have a "little" more knowledge.. Hard I know!!!!

If it's a prePaid SIM you can have a Thai (Wife/Girlfriend/Friend w/ benefits) register it in their name.
It just needs to be registered, and I would think if the registered person can present 'the SIM' on demand that should suffice.
PostPaid accounts might have a problem with that.
My kid didn't want a long wait so just grabbed my phone out of my hand and put our phones on the counter along with his Thai ID card.
The AIS shop used a smartphone app to take a picture of a USSD code response and his Thai ID card. Done, finished, 2 minutes tops. He can easily produce the phone if asked.

My wife was heading off to register my sim on her ID when I realized there could be a draw back to having it in her name. If I loose my phone and want a new sim with the same number I cannot get one unless she is around. Given that she is away a lot with work I thought it better to have it registered to me. She took my passport - no problems and now registered in my name.

I went into a 7-11 nearby to register my SIM card, and was told 'no got'.

So I went to the people whose system I use, and used my Thai driver's licence as ID : no problems.

Slightly puzzled as to why it was showing on her computer as already registered.

I assured her it was not., and it was corrected.

Archived