Chavalit denies 'Kra Canal deal'

Chavalit denies 'Kra Canal deal'
THE NATION

30260759-02_big.jpg

Former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh issued a statement at his Nonthaburi residence yesterday, dismissing as untrue reports that he signed an agreement with the Chinese government about possible dredging of a channel across the Isthmus of Kra in Ra

BANGKOK: -- FORMER PRIME Minister General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh yesterday labelled as groundless media reports about his supposed role in signing a Thai-Chinese cooperation agreement to develop the controversial Kra Canal project.

During a press conference at his Pinprapakom residence, Chavalit said it was untrue he had signed the deal in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou on May 15.

"I have to clarify this matter because it may hurt the good relations between Thailand and China," he said.

"May 15 was my birthday so it's not possible since I stayed in Thailand with family and friends on that date.

"Later on, a rumour-monger said it [the deal signing] was May 10, not May 15. Again, it's untrue. I'm not involved in such a hoax."

According to Chavalit, there was a meeting between a private-sector delegation and the Chinese government, but he was not sure about the content of the cooperation agreement.

He said the supposed rumour-monger wanted to upset Thai-Chinese relations as the international community might misunderstand the claim that he was involved, so he had to clarify things.

However, he admitted that he was photographed on April 10 following a meeting with a group of Chinese businessmen in Thailand concerning a highway construction project, and the Kra Canal - the creation of a canal across southern Thailand to link the Gulf of Thailand with the Andaman Sea - was mentioned but no agreement was inked.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Chavalit-denies-Kra-Canal-deal-30260759.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-23

His words show all the signs of an obfuscator.

"I couldn't have signed on the 15th...."

"I didn't sign on the 10th...."

And then, of course, not mentioned here, but another source of obfuscation is that the Kra Canal concept is no longer through the Kra area but "plan 5A" from Songkhla is the generally agreed best route....so anyone denying a "Kra": canal can do so quite truthfully.

Does he have any Govt position now? Would he actually be the one to sign a deal of this magnitude?

He does not have general as part of his name or title, so I suspect that you are correct and he has little or no authority to operate on a government to government basis. However I wonder how much of the proposed route is under his tutelage ?

Does he have any Govt position now? Would he actually be the one to sign a deal of this magnitude?

He does not have general as part of his name or title, so I suspect that you are correct and he has little or no authority to operate on a government to government basis. However I wonder how much of the proposed route is under his tutelage ?

Or his private company deals.

Chavalit Yongchaiyudh issued a statement at his Nonthaburi residence yesterday...because he likes to have many microphones in front of him.

"May 15 was my birthday so it's not possible since I stayed in Thailand with family and friends on that date"...now all of you know when it's his birthday, so he expects plenty of gifts next year!

the Kra Canal was mentioned but no agreement was inked...because no one had an inkling at the time.