Thumping Loudspeaker Trucks

Thais seem to have no problem with noise pollution. They are like a parent tuning out a crying baby! Complain all you want, they will just think you are an <deleted>! In Jomtien we have punk kids with trucks wired for mega sound! They make your loud speaker teucks sound like quiet concersation. There is sometimes 6 or 8 of them within a few hundred meters, all playing different music (??? I use the term loosely) .... it goes on well into the night . .... but no one does anything!

You just have to take your mind to a better place.

Directive comments are often ineffective.

Perhaps alternative wording such as "I take my mind to a better place".

I try to avoid the words "you" and "just have to" when posting.

I find them a mild annoyance. I am thankful that they are not stationary and they eventually move out of ear-shot.

I'm not in charge and try to go with the flow here.

I find them a mild annoyance. I am thankful that they are not stationary and they eventually move out of ear-shot.

Propaganda trucks.

Because there is no Law in Thailand for Noise Pollution. No Law for the right to quiet enjoyment. You will find this all over Thailand. These trucks start at sunrise in the village. Park themselves on some main intersection for an hour. I think everyone here are all annoyance at this, but like most things here, they just learn to tolerate it.

I used to think that all those Advertising Flyers, which plugged my mail box in Canada, was a pain. But My Friend you have not seen anything yet until you have a Thai Sing-a-long Bar across the street from where you live. They only have one volume, which is always extremely loud, and only know that sunrise is the time for them to quit.

Ever try to sleep listening to some Drunk Thai Man Sing, over and over again, who doesn't even know the words?

I once asked a Thai village person "why do they do that?" (drive trucks with advertising). The answer I got was that many locals can't read/write, so the audio advertising is used instead. I'm not sure that's the whole case, but it's one angle I hadn't considered.

I would be very interested to learn of the increase in sales of washing machines, cars, gym membership, cosmetics or whatever it is, compared to the cost of the advertising in purely financial terms (hard to measure the stress imposed on the receivers of the message). I can't imagine that it makes a profit for the advertiser (I think the going rate was about 1500baht/day at the time, though that was many years back).

Also, I'd like to know why they all follow each other playing noise out of phase rather than each of them having a section of the city/island/village each to handle.

Thai people must be in a group - always. Have you ever seen them doing anything alone?

I just remember summers in Vancouver, where every Harley has loud or no mufflers and blast up the streets setting every car alarm off. all day and night.

I had to just ignore it there, just have to ignore it here

Propaganda trucks.

Purchased from a Chinese Government Surplus Store... giggle.gif

1. Follow the trucks to see where they are parked at night.

2. In the middle of the night...dressed in your best all black "Mission Impossible" outfit, sneak up on the trucks.

3. Push a small pin through the two speaker wires ... shorting them out. Make sure you choose a spot on the wires that is hard to find.

4. Repeat as necessary

3. reverse the connections on half the speakers so they are anti-phased... rolleyes.gif

OK ... You're in! You can be the nerdy audio engineer in my "Mission Impossible Team" ... and I'll handle the funny stuff.

laugh.png

We have similar noisy advertising trucks in Pattaya too. Make about the same dB as a Harley Davidson. Both should be banned IMO.

Then there are food malls where I've measured the dB as high as 95. Most people however seem oblivious to noise.

decibels.jpg

Kind of destroy paradise don't they?

I remember the days when they had a boat running up and down Chaweng beach announcing "Tonight, tonight Superfight".

THAT was annoying....

The GM of Poppies tried complaining to the 'powers that be' about that one.

Response - loudspeaker trucks etc are a part of Thai culture and no one will stop it.

Kind of destroy paradise don't they?

I remember the days when they had a boat running up and down Chaweng beach announcing "Tonight, tonight Superfight".

THAT was annoying....

The GM of Poppies tried complaining to the 'powers that be' about that one.

Response - loudspeaker trucks etc are a part of Thai culture and no one will stop it.

How did the culture fare prior to the advent of the combustion engine, LOUDspeaker(s) or tourists? Edited by evadgib

• 4 months later...

Down Pattaya way there seems to be more and more of these blasted things at least 15 a day down the long soi I live on in Pratumnak, what if every business used this method? it would be bedlam.

"Differ" (a nightclub) just sent 2 of the nosiest i have ever heard, I could not even hear my TV

Samui is a long way from Pattaya...

And you problem is rather different to those poor folk who just want a quite meal out in Chawang, there the problem is numerous speaker vans doing the circuit trying to promote overpriced 3rd rate venues...

Your problem is more static.... with some punk with a van that has more speaker power than his engine and a bad taste in music...

I once considered getting away from the tannoy-wagons (loudspeaker cars) and settle up the hills in the middle of the island, but I gave up when I on my investigation trip up there reached the end of paved road and saw this one…sad.png

post-122720-0-87828900-1445098973_thumb.

We have similar noisy advertising trucks in Pattaya too. Make about the same dB as a Harley Davidson. Both should be banned IMO.

Then there are food malls where I've measured the dB as high as 95. Most people however seem oblivious to noise.

Everyone can hear the trucks.

Not everyone feels the need to endlessly moan about it.

Whats needed is a hand held directional EMP divice about the size of a hair dryer! Point at the offender and zap ever circuit in his/her stereo and car are fried!

Wish i could get something like that for the bloody dog next door which is chained on and howls and barks all night, unheard by its owners !

Whats needed is a hand held directional EMP divice about the size of a hair dryer! Point at the offender and zap ever circuit in his/her stereo and car are fried!

Wish i could get something like that for the bloody dog next door which is chained on and howls and barks all night, unheard by its owners !

Spray them with some vinegar.... that'll do it! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

1. Follow the trucks to see where they are parked at night.

2. In the middle of the night...dressed in your best all black "Mission Impossible" outfit, sneak up on the trucks.

3. Push a small pin through the two speaker wires ... shorting them out. Make sure you choose a spot on the wires that is hard to find.

4. Repeat as necessary

that is gold - make sure you do a combat crawl up to said trucks too

• 7 months later...

These monstrosities appear to be all over Thailand. They are intrusive and inconsiderate. In Pattaya they often travel in threes.

I believe the only way to get rid of them is to make it clear to the advertisers using them that we will be boycotting the goods and services being advertised.

You all make me laugh by complaining of the things that make Samui, Samui..... I reckon if you buy or rent a house close to the main roads then you are as brain dead as anyone else, first thing I always do when choosing somewhere to live is pick somewhere nowhere near a main road, it's not that hard ! Get a life or get out !

You all make me laugh by complaining of the things that make Samui, Samui..... I reckon if you buy or rent a house close to the main roads then you are as brain dead as anyone else, first thing I always do when choosing somewhere to live is pick somewhere nowhere near a main road, it's not that hard ! Get a life or get out !

As you were asking about where the football would be shown on the forums the other day I guess that you don't know too much yourself so insulting other posters seems to me to be a tad unfair?

As you were asking about where the football would be shown on the forums the other day I guess that you don't know too much yourself so insulting other posters seems to me to be a tad unfair?

That was off the back of the army being here and closing everything early, asking if bars in areas I do not live in are open for a 4am kick off seems legitimate to me, I had no answers from anyone by the way, so maybe not knowing much makes me normal on here ?

That was off the back of the army being here and closing everything early, asking if bars in areas I do not live in are open for a 4am kick off seems legitimate to me, I had no answers from anyone by the way, so maybe not knowing much makes me normal on here ?

There are no 4am kick offs .........