An end to 'unofficial fees' charged by Thai officials?

webfact

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about some optimism folks - the authors, I am sure,, are sincere, application though will take time - let's not overlook that 'alleged' corruption is not unique to Thailand..........FIFA comes to mind

Don't be surprised if there was at some time, a bit of big-time teamoney passing hands - with the battle over television rights for LOS viewing. This is still FIFA related...post-4641-1156694572.gif , but official corruption nontheless

lol, my step-son just paid 3,000 baht (tea money) to get his drivers licence, just north outside of Phichit.

When I found out that his Mom gave him the money, I was mad a hell. And she said this is the Thai way!

hmmmm....to late for you to man-up ?

lol, my step-son just paid 3,000 baht (tea money) to get his drivers licence, just north outside of Phichit.

When I found out that his Mom gave him the money, I was mad a hell. And she said this is the Thai way!

That is one of the big problems, Thai's just stand back and let it happen saying as your wife did " it is the Thai way " why don't they stand up for their rights

or the right way

What about setting up a website for reporting 'unofficial fees'?

The trick of course is someone wanting to do anything with this information. BUT, if this site was accessible by everyone and location, individuals and situation was reported it could be self-policing.

In Chiang Mai, I and other people I know could give names and details of 'unofficial fees' charged to get your Tabian Baan (house book).

Their brilliant success at online 90 day reporting should serve as a model for this suggestion

This is pretty good news, if they can stick to it. Businesses were complaining under the last government that they had to pay B100m for a new factory licence and everything was deliberately backlogged to try to persuade them to pay up. I don't think it was any better under the Abhisit government.

What is wrong with most people here on ThaiVisa? I really want to know.

Complain, complain and yes, lets complain some more.

Yesterday the people here complained about the corruption and that they don't want to pay any tea money.

Today the people here complain about the government trying to stop that same corruption they complained about yesterday.

What? Huh? Sorry? Excuse me?

Well, let me try & explain it to you. You see there are usually two sides to every story, and every debate. TWO sides. One-two-one-two-one-two. Try it. You'll get the hang of it. Now you might notice if you take the trouble, instead of just bloviating, that the ones complaining about the PTP corruption before are not for the most part the same individuals complaining about the present govt's efforts to do something about it, esp. if you factor out those who simply would like to see it happening more quickly (and usually quite clearly make that point).

You're excused.

Edited by hawker9000

Hope they pass this info to Hua Hin immigration where they have a policy of charging for a serviice but refuse to give a receipt , eg five hundred baht to register a new passport, .

I bitched and moaned about this, the immigration guy then changed his pen from a biro to a fountain pen to enter details in my new usa passport, illegal as I discovered the next time I tried to exit Thailand at swampy, they had me in a special room for two hours convinced I was on a fake visa. Hua Hin immigration are the biggest set of thieves in town.

• 3 weeks later...

Mainly sounds good.

I don't like the bit about perpetual repeated 7 days notices. That just gives an official time to frustrate the applicant indefinitely and then negotiate an out-of-office settlement.

The Act would be improved with explicit and serious consequences for non-compliance of the Act.

This is a good point. However, the law also requires the official to send a copy to the Public Sector Development Commission each time as well, so that extra work should be a deterrent. Also, the licensee has the right to inquire with the PSDC about the license, and that is potential extra scrutiny that they don't want.

In a reasonable system, an undue delay or failure to notify the PSDC would be very strong evidence that the official was intending to harm the applicant. But . . . this is Thailand.

I deal a lot with (low-ranking) Thai officials, and in the months after the coup there was no way I was allowed to jump the queue, "Sorry Sir, the new government................"

Today it is business as usual.

Which proves if the government are serious about fighting the "extra fees" , they have to start prosecuting the offenders to scare their colleagues.

But as we all know, enforcement is not part of the Thai vocabulary....................coffee1.gif

Here's another part of the law: " If the authority fails to make a clarification under paragraph one or paragraph two, it shall be deemed that he commits or omits the commission of an act which causes damages to other persons; provided that, the failure to do so [was not, sic] caused by force majeure."

So, this means that if they break this law, they are at least civilly liable for the harm they cause.

(Then again, this it Thailand, so all bets regarding law, common sense, and common decency are off.

As you gave me such a limit to my reply, RICE SCAM.

Can I squeeze in G2G?

You are right, the junta did stop the rice scheme.

Unfortunately they replaced it with a similar scheme for rubber farmers.

And are now thinking about another one for palm oil farmers.

It's not the same. The rubber support is quite limited, and the gov't is also providing loans to encourage farmers to plant other crops instead of rubber. With the rice scheme it was continuous and egregious.

went to open a PO box in bankgok

and the officer said "The regulation says " Foreigner cant live in Thailand"" --- so i left.

oh if you are coming, its ramadan in malaysia now so be warned all your favourite indian curry shops are closed during the day and may not be open period..

Edited by suzythaivisa

went to open a PO box in bankgok

and the officer said "The regulation says " Foreigner cant live in Thailand"" --- so i left.

oh if you are coming, its ramadan in malaysia now so be warned all your favourite indian curry shops are closed during the day and may not be open period..

Man oh man do you give up easily in the face of obstacles. Who cares about a silly postal clerk? Skin a bit Thin?

Hope they pass this info to Hua Hin immigration where they have a policy of charging for a serviice but refuse to give a receipt , eg five hundred baht to register a new passport, .

I bitched and moaned about this, the immigration guy then changed his pen from a biro to a fountain pen to enter details in my new usa passport, illegal as I discovered the next time I tried to exit Thailand at swampy, they had me in a special room for two hours convinced I was on a fake visa. Hua Hin immigration are the biggest set of thieves in town.

Wrong. It is Samui immigration. More crooked than the Brooklyn Russian mafia. Worse than Donald Trump. More dishonest than Dick Cheney and Tiny George combined.

I got my driver's licence (the right/legal way) last week for Baht 260 (valid for two years) in Korat. Baht 3,000????? Fishy...