Prayut indicates Thaksin could face lese majeste charge

webfact

Probably clutching at straws but as its a law which doesn't allow suspects or convicts to be bailed i frankly think its use here is justifiable considering just how dirty thaksin's hands are.

If they get the charges to stick he'll never come back. Sure hope they do stick now...

What are you so afraid of.

Let him come back.

Now that all the corruption has been exposed.

Let him fight an election.

Let the people decide.

Or this will never end.

Thaksin can return to Thailand at any time he wants.

When he returns he has to start his 2 year jail sentence and bail will probably not be granted as he has already jumped bail once.

He also has another 15 charges outstanding to face trial for.

All the corruption has not yet been exposed. There will be far more to come yet.

He cannot fight in an election simply because he is a convicted criminal and as such he cannot stand for election, nor can he be a party list MP.

The people cannot decide until all these issues are cleared up.

It can end today if Thaksin wishes it but for that to happen he has to bite the bullet and promise that he will never interfere in Thailands affairs again. If he did so promise, who would be so gullible as to believe him given his record for breaking his solemn word.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems most people are missing the point.

This statement is saying one thing to Thakisn : If you send your paid red thugs onto the streets before we have had a free and fair election (well, the closest Thailand has ever got) then you are going to pay a price for it.

The thing Thaksin wants most is to come back to Thailand - and he has discovered that no amount of bribes and cronies can do it. If he has more charges heaped up then the chances are even less. Prayuth has chosen this game because it will lead to the least amount of innocent Thais getting murdered. It's hardly sophisticated politics - but it never is in Thailand.

And any Red-Shirt who thinks Thaksin does anything at for them is delusional. What happened to the uprising you have all been shouting about (whilst spraying bits of foam) ?. He's left you out to dry for now because that is what suits him for now.

The thing which stands out the most to me is how Red-Shirts do absolutely nothing unless ordered (and paid) by a political master - and always at the same time as the master has something he wants. And when they do, it is only ever violence and intimidation. What a shining beacon of democracy you are in Thailand ....

Probably clutching at straws but as its a law which doesn't allow suspects or convicts to be bailed i frankly think its use here is justifiable considering just how dirty thaksin's hands are.

If they get the charges to stick he'll never come back. Sure hope they do stick now...

So you advocate prosecuting some one on a false charge if, in your mind, you think they are "dirty" and can't find a better way of dealing with things. Glad you are not a prosecutor in my town. Mr. Thaksin was prosecuted for a number of things but has, to date, escaped punishment. I think this current issue of using lese majesty laws to railroad a person who is seen as a bother to the current regime is the greater problem, not Thaksin himself. The fact that the Thai government is clearly out of control on so many issues and uses the courts to rid itself of political opponents or silence opposition is only indicative of the weakness of the whole structure of Thai government and society.

So you advocate prosecuting some one on a false charge if, in your mind, you think they are "dirty" and can't find a better way of dealing with things. Glad you are not a prosecutor in my town. Mr. Thaksin was prosecuted for a number of things but has, to date, escaped punishment. I think this current issue of using lese majesty laws to railroad a person who is seen as a bother to the current regime is the greater problem, not Thaksin himself. The fact that the Thai government is clearly out of control on so many issues and uses the courts to rid itself of political opponents or silence opposition is only indicative of the weakness of the whole structure of Thai government and society.

Mr. Thaksin was prosecuted for a number of things but has, to date, escaped punishment. Yes, first a judge gave him a pass on lying about his assets, and then he jumped bail before he could be found guilty of another charge. Is this something to be proud of?

How can the LM laws be used to railroad someone when they haven't been laid yet, and may never be, and even if they were, the person is ex-country avoiding his conviction and other charges. At most the laying of those charges would be an embarrassment (if there is such a thing to a man without shame) and they can hardly be using the courts to rid themselves of him when he refuses to present himself.

Mr. Thaksin was prosecuted for a number of things but has, to date, escaped punishment. Yes, first a judge gave him a pass on lying about his assets, and then he jumped bail before he could be found guilty of another charge. Is this something to be proud of?

How can the LM laws be used to railroad someone when they haven't been laid yet, and may never be, and even if they were, the person is ex-country avoiding his conviction and other charges. At most the laying of those charges would be an embarrassment (if there is such a thing to a man without shame) and they can hardly be using the courts to rid themselves of him when he refuses to present himself.

He may of done a slippery one, but to be fair Ive seen articles where someone here has been convicted of Murder and then given bail. All sots of ludicrous let offs

When is Prayuth going to drop his obsession with routing the PTP and get on with tackling the many many problems facing this country? All this is really showing up the real reason for this power seizure. If anyone were still in any doubt.

The many problems in this country were created by the PTP TRT or whatever they want to be called... it's all the same. As Thaskin is a cold face liar he cannot seem to keep all his lies (like most liars) in order. Dealing with these self serving scoundrels

is and should be the first order of business. I would hardly consider it obsessive. Thaskin took a poke and the General poked back...The obsession I see is the shin a whats? mongering for power and control.

laugh.pngcheesy.gifblink.png

Halloween, did you miss the point? Your statement: "Yes, first a judge gave him a pass on lying about his assets, and then he jumped bail before he could be found guilty of another charge. Is this something to be proud of?" has nothing to do with this issue.

z42 stated: ". . . i frankly think its use here is justifiable considering just how dirty thaksin's hands are."

My point was that prosecuting Thaskin under lese majeste violations for something that does not seem to be the case (everyone else in the world can read his comments) in order to punish him for some other violation for which he has escaped punishment is ridiculous. I was commenting on z42's statement.

For that matter, why is the junta making itself look so stupid to the entire world? Maybe it is all for internal consumption but to the rest of the world, these generals must look like a bunch of clowns. The more the generals make news items of stripping Thaksin of his police rank or bringing him up on lese majeste charges the more people see how desperate they are. Just makes them look weak and impotent.

Surely I am not the only one getting thoroughly fed up with this news agency. They now say Thaksin "could face a lese majeste charge if he is found to have committed the offence". Basically no understanding that a person can face a charge only if he is suspected of committing an offence. If he is "found to have committed the offence" - and only a court can do that, in the civilised world - then he is not then going to be charged with it, is he. Ignorance. Gross ignorance. And it claims to be providing a news service! ... Only for the ignorant?

Halloween, did you miss the point? Your statement: "Yes, first a judge gave him a pass on lying about his assets, and then he jumped bail before he could be found guilty of another charge. Is this something to be proud of?" has nothing to do with this issue.

z42 stated: ". . . i frankly think its use here is justifiable considering just how dirty thaksin's hands are."

My point was that prosecuting Thaskin under lese majeste violations for something that does not seem to be the case (everyone else in the world can read his comments) in order to punish him for some other violation for which he has escaped punishment is ridiculous. I was commenting on z42's statement.

For that matter, why is the junta making itself look so stupid to the entire world? Maybe it is all for internal consumption but to the rest of the world, these generals must look like a bunch of clowns. The more the generals make news items of stripping Thaksin of his police rank or bringing him up on lese majeste charges the more people see how desperate they are. Just makes them look weak and impotent.

No I didn't miss the point. He has been found guilty of abuse of power and sentenced to 2 years jail. How is that "escaped punishment" except that he jumped bail? Does that make him Mr Clean?

You also fail to notice that they can't prosecute Thaksin until he presents himself to court to hear the charges against him. Charges can be laid, have been in the past, not over the current situation, but there will be no prosecution even if they are until he returns.

All your moaning about unfair treatment is tripe. There are no charges laid and no prosecution imminent.

Sorry Mr P, but most foreigners here have seen the interview, and nowhere in the interview does Mr T cross the line.

He implicates the elite in being behind the coup to maintain status quo, and not even the most yellow shirted supporter of the present situation can deny that!!

By all means, go for Mr T, he should be behind bars, but play it clean!!

Using the Thailands draconian LM laws doesn't make you any friends, here or abroad!!

draconian laws to you maybe but your free to leave anytime you wish,.....at least our laws are our own and not made up from faceless people in the eu....

Sorry Mr P, but most foreigners here have seen the interview, and nowhere in the interview does Mr T cross the line.

He implicates the elite in being behind the coup to maintain status quo, and not even the most yellow shirted supporter of the present situation can deny that!!

Using the Thailands draconian LM laws doesn't make you any friends, here or abroad!!

draconian laws to you maybe but your free to leave anytime you wish,.....at least our laws are our own and not made up from faceless people in the eu....

Thaksin has four LM charges against him already. So what if the General adds a fifth?

Didnt know that, in that case makes no diference baring it gives him fresh international press coverage, which i'm sure Ostend his pr bod will relish.

exactly...

if he never comes back, it doesn't matter.

if he ever does come back, it won't matter if 4, 5 or a dozen LM charges are forgiven.

it also won't matter if he did or did not have his passports at some point in the past.

this is just the general and his royalist buddies getting mad and throwing a temper-tamtrum...

the LM laws are not "your own".... if by that you mean the Thai people.

Do you mean the draconian LM laws that Yingluck and PTP strengthen?

That's interesting. Who do they belong to then?

Whatever you like to believe about how much of a say you had in it all, it is irrelevant and doesn't invalidate the previous comment in any way... foreigners may be free to leave any time they wish, but are you GoodThaiGirl, free to speak your mind any time you wish? Speaks for itself doesn't it?

. this law is viewed by much of the west as infringing /challenging individuals freedom of speech and charging him with this will/ could just strengthen thaksins hand in gaining international 'sympathy.'

ie down trodden democratic leader in exile ect ect more good pr for him to build upon.

You say that as if you think the PM give's a rat's @zz about what the west thinks. Unless it involves money, like the yellow card issued by the EU, they consider it just pissin' in the wind.

BTW, I absolutely agree with you, I just think this group of monkeys leaders don't give a rusty f4rk.

Edited by quandow

Elite? Thaksin, CP, the beer families, the bank families behind the coup???

maintain status quo???

No it was the middle class and they did it to change the status quo.

In one speech he spoke about some other support than the elites and this is illegal in Thailand.

You are missing the point!!

The institution don't need any special law to protect them, they are respected and loved by the people.

The LM is merely a political tool, used by politicians to serve their personal and political agenda.

yes right.....Actually most LM cases I know would go in jail abroad as well under different laws.

. this law is viewed by much of the west as infringing /challenging individuals freedom of speech and charging him with this will/ could just strengthen thaksins hand in gaining international 'sympathy.'

ie down trodden democratic leader in exile ect ect more good pr for him to build upon.

"...democratic leader..."

Your joke of the day?

It seems most people are missing the point.

This statement is saying one thing to Thakisn : If you send your paid red thugs onto the streets before we have had a free and fair election (well, the closest Thailand has ever got) then you are going to pay a price for it.

The thing Thaksin wants most is to come back to Thailand - and he has discovered that no amount of bribes and cronies can do it. If he has more charges heaped up then the chances are even less. Prayuth has chosen this game because it will lead to the least amount of innocent Thais getting murdered. It's hardly sophisticated politics - but it never is in Thailand.

And any Red-Shirt who thinks Thaksin does anything at for them is delusional. What happened to the uprising you have all been shouting about (whilst spraying bits of foam) ?. He's left you out to dry for now because that is what suits him for now.

The thing which stands out the most to me is how Red-Shirts do absolutely nothing unless ordered (and paid) by a political master - and always at the same time as the master has something he wants. And when they do, it is only ever violence and intimidation. What a shining beacon of democracy you are in Thailand ....

Did Thaksin tell you this?

Please tell us how do you known

I say he want to say in England when young girl freind

maintain status quo???

In one speech he spoke about some other support than the elites and this is illegal in Thailand.

The institution don't need any special law to protect them, they are respected and loved by the people.

The LM is merely a political tool, used by politicians to serve their personal and political agenda.

yes right.....Actually most LM cases I know would go in jail abroad as well under different laws.

I have seen a lot of nonsense coming from your keyboard, but this takes the prize!!

Most nations respect the right to freedom of speech, even when it comes to criticizing their institutions!!

If the General wished to set a positive example, he would not allow the continuance of the use of this law for political purposes. This law has been used historically by all sides and has resulted in Thailand loss of face internationally. No fault would be found in protecting the Royal Family but the application of this law has not been controlled to that end.

Edited by wwest5829

maintain status quo???

North Korea maybe, other than that rubbish statement.

Whatever you like to believe about how much of a say you had in it all, it is irrelevant and doesn't invalidate the previous comment in any way... foreigners may be free to leave any time they wish, but are you GoodThaiGirl, free to speak your mind any time you wish? Speaks for itself doesn't it?

yes im very free to speak my mind ..but you only do it on here.....try interacting you maybe surprised ..

That's interesting. Who do they belong to then?

you aren't REALLY that slow, are you?

well, maybe... coffee1.gif

"...democratic leader..."

Your joke of the day?

I think that you misunderstood his point.

maintain status quo???

that's nonsense.