1 year non immigrant retirement visa - got it for 2 months only - passport expires.

I know this is Thailand but man.... what is going on in this country?

Went to immigration on Thursday 1 PM. Was asked to come back the next day. Explained my passport expiry date was August 1 st and if they could transfer my visa to my new passport later. Yes they could and would do it for free.

Friday arrived at 05.30 AM. About 70 people in front of me. At 07.30 with the officer who told me he could not give me the ticket as I did not had my passport with me. My wife would come around 09.00 AM with all documents.

After talking to the superintendent later I sat down with an officer at 11.30 AM. Lady could give yearly visa until passport expiry date only. Got nervous and explained they did it before. She sad cannot, "we never did that". Got more nervous. I told her yesterday an other officer told me they could do it. No way she replied, impossible. She got angry and she transferred me to her supervisor. Same story. Told him yesterday have been told could do. Never he replied. I told him my wife would go home and bring 2 passports. An old one and a newer one. It would show clearly the transfer of the yearly visa from one into another passport. No need to go he told me "we just changed the law"................. He told me also the officer yesterday was right...... they could transfer the visa to the new passport and for free but it would be voided and I would still have to apply for a new one again and pay the fees again...... Can you believe it?

I paid 1.900 Baht with all documents OK and got a visa until August 1 st which is my passport expiry date and thus for 2 months only.

All other countries I know of one can use the old and voided passport (with the visa in) together with the new passport. I got proof of 2 times they transferred my visa of my voided passport into my newer one without problems.

Are they right? Has the law indeed been changed? That would be the most stupid law in the world. Who on earth has a passport and visa expiring at the same date every time?

Thanks for the info.

Yes, correct, 1 year retirement extension

I was not aware of it as I do not consult the forum for it. Yes, my mistake.

Rules are changing by the day and by the officers interpretation. Pattaya is different from Phuket and Chiang Mai and so on.

Still to me a very crazy rule and probably just to get foreigners more confused and an opening to get more money out of them.

Just my 5 cents.

This was really a major rule change and I seriously doubt that it isn't enforced in EVERY office.

Anyway, I can certainly understand being upset about being surprised about the rule change.

I'm dealing with a similar situation myself, but I know about the changed policy. and can plan for it.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for posting about this. So my extension is for renew 1Oktober 2015 and my passport is finished 1May 2016.This means maybe better to make a new passport now before my oktober renewing so I get a full year?

And If I dont then in May with a new passport I would need to show 90 day funding again to get new extension?

Edited by INV

Thanks for posting about this. So my extension is for renew 1Oktober 2015 and my passport is finished 1May 2016.This means maybe better to make a new passport now before my oktober renewing so I get a full year?

And If I dont then in May with a new passport I would need to show 90 day funding again to get new extension?

Yes, in May you would have to do the whole thing again.

So better to get a new passport before October.