Bangkok Bank BeWorst Card

I recently opened a Bangkok Bank A/c and was supplied with a Be1st debit card in order to purchase online. It had taken several attempts for the staff at BB to actually figure out how to activate it. Has anyone successfully been able to buy online withis bloody thing? I ordered an item from Amazon. I received an email from them telling me it'd been declined as 'the information the bank held did not match' that which I'd inputted to Amazon. The ordering information had asked for 'credit card number', this isn't a credit card but I'd been led to believe it was possible to use this Debit Card online so I'd typed in the Debit Card number.

I'd already found out the card could only be used at BB ATMs. Then, when I tried to use it at Homepro I was told 'cannot' and had to switch to another card. I'm at a loss to see any value in this card at all!

So, in short, as there is no actual name on the card, I'd merely inserted the name and address I'd given to the bank. STILL this has been declined. Anyone?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've successfully used it to pay for a service online and I've also had it declined online via the "Verified by Visa" process....which is Visa declining the transaction, not BKK Bank.

I've also successfully used it many, many times as a debit card payment in local restaurants and stores but had it declined by the bank when I attempted to use it for payment in a store in Malaysia.

No problems whatsoever taking money out of an ATM, both in Thailand and in other countries.

Have you contacted the bank and set the daily limit for debit purchases. I could not use mine until that was done. Since then I have done online purchases, Skype account, paid for hotels and etc.

The first time you use it online you have to set up the verified by Visa system. You then get a one time password sent to your phone by SMS when you do a purchase.

It works at all ATM's that I have tried to use it on.

Have you contacted the bank and set the daily limit for debit purchases. I could not use mine until that was done. Since then I have done online purchases, Skype account, paid for hotels and etc.

The first time you use it online you have to set up the verified by Visa system. You then get a one time password sent to your phone by SMS when you do a purchase.

I can draw out as much money as I like from Bangkok Bank ATM's in 20k baht withdrawals. Indeed I have on several occasions. When inserting the card it goes through a 'verification' process, so this will not happen at any other bank's ATM. Another poster on the Phuket Forum found this out much to his chagrin also. I had already set up this verification process, as mentioned in my post, and had received several texts activating it. When I'd attempted to use it at varying ATM's from Phuket to Bangkok, none will accept 'transaction cancelled' except BB ATMs. Which is a problem as there are not nearly as many as SCB/Kasikorn/Krungsri. I then must travel to the nearest one, if I can find it.

Homepro had the same problem and I successfully substituted my SCB card, which can't be used online. I'd already moved the bulk of my balance to Krungsri, which also can't be used online, but have better savings rates (which admittedly isn't saying much) than all the others.

This card has been a nightmare. I'm sick of having to fag into town to my branch to sort problems out with it. as differing bank branches aren't interconnected blink.png I'm thinking of closing it and opening a Kasikorn a/c for online purchases, which I hear is easier. Even the Passport Office in the UK said they've successfully processed pp fees with Kasikorn, never mention BB, wonder why?

Anyone with a Kasikorn a/c finding it easier to buy online? That's all I want this card for. Thanks.

Bear in mind there is an advantage with this card, it can not be "skimmed".

That's what it's all about, unless the skimmers get your actual card, and pin, they can not use it in an atm....

That's why I like it, you can use it at department stores, but you are also able to set a tiny "spending at department stores "daily limit", this I have done, I only withdraw cash from Bangkok ATMs.......set it up right and it has advantages the others do not.

Skimming is sophisticated these days, fraud is rampant...I like the skim free technology

Edited by namatjira

While cards with chips are very hard to skim, they are still just as susceptible to online fraud...just your card number from the front of the card and security code usually on the back of the card is needed in many cases....it's called a card not present purchase.

I tend to agree, I have the same card and it is a complicated card to use ... I tried to buy lotto tickets on line .. always declined, however I have purchased Air Asia tickets with it & no problem. I can use it at any ATM in Thailand.

I use to have a Kasikorn Visa card ... that was a wasted effort, could not buy anything on line and just kept getting a bill for card keeping fees. Cut that one up ...

What happen to having a Visa / Debit card that can be used anywhere ? any ATM worldwide ? any on line purchase ?

is it possible .. ?

When it comes down to what a credit or debit card can be used for, it's not some much limitation established by the Visa/Mastercard networks, but the limitations set by the seller and/or card-issuing bank. And then national/local laws also come into play.

"Just for example" how this Credit.com article talks use of credit or debit cards for buying lottery tickets in the U.S. Weblink and partial quote below:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/buy-lottery_tickets-credit_card-1273.php

Since gambling is regulated by state law, the regulations in your state determine whether you can buy lottery tickets with plastic. In Connecticut, for example, you cannot buy tickets with a credit card. But you can use a gift card or debit card -- unless the specific retailer prohibits using debit. In Tennessee, however, lottery tickets may only be bought with cash.

"Most of the U.S. lotteries allow the purchase of lottery tickets with debit cards," says David Gale, executive director of the North American Association of State and Provincial Lotteries. "But only about 25 percent allow the purchase of lottery tickets with a credit card. A few of the lotteries leave it up to the retailer to decide whether to accept or not accept credit and/or debit cards for the purchase of lottery tickets."

That's what it's all about, unless the skimmers get your actual card, and pin, they can not use it in an atm....

That's why I like it, you can use it at department stores, but you are also able to set a tiny "spending at department stores "daily limit", this I have done, I only withdraw cash from Bangkok ATMs.......set it up right and it has advantages the others do not.

Skimming is sophisticated these days, fraud is rampant...I like the skim free technology

Very helpful. From your post, I just went to the BKK Bank and got my card replaced with the new "skim-free" card. Took all of about 10 minutes, no charge. The lady did say I could only use this card at BKK Bank ATMs, which is fine cause that's all I use. But in time, assuming other banks upgrade their ATMs for skim-free cards, it could be use in other ATMs as well.

I can draw out as much money as I like from Bangkok Bank ATM's in 20k baht withdrawals. Indeed I have on several occasions. When inserting the card it goes through a 'verification' process, so this will not happen at any other bank's ATM. Another poster on the Phuket Forum found this out much to his chagrin also. I had already set up this verification process, as mentioned in my post, and had received several texts activating it. When I'd attempted to use it at varying ATM's from Phuket to Bangkok, none will accept 'transaction cancelled' except BB ATMs. Which is a problem as there are not nearly as many as SCB/Kasikorn/Krungsri. I then must travel to the nearest one, if I can find it.

Homepro had the same problem and I successfully substituted my SCB card, which can't be used online. I'd already moved the bulk of my balance to Krungsri, which also can't be used online, but have better savings rates (which admittedly isn't saying much) than all the others.

This card has been a nightmare. I'm sick of having to fag into town to my branch to sort problems out with it. as differing bank branches aren't interconnected blink.png I'm thinking of closing it and opening a Kasikorn a/c for online purchases, which I hear is easier. Even the Passport Office in the UK said they've successfully processed pp fees with Kasikorn, never mention BB, wonder why?

Anyone with a Kasikorn a/c finding it easier to buy online? That's all I want this card for. Thanks.

I have a Kasikorn account, and I have their online virtual Visa credit card (called an online or virtual shopping card). Essentially you get a Visa credit card number, associated with your own name, a cvv security number and an expiry date, all supplied as information to you on the website, but it is not a physical card. You set a credit limit for yourself, but you must have money in your savings account that is more than the credit limit. When you buy goods online the "credit" is debited automatically from your savings account a day or so later. There are no fees.

This virtual card functions solely to buy things online, and I have found it to work perfectly every time I have used it. I have used it to buy Air Asia plane tickets, computer equipment from InvadeIT, and many other Thai based retailers.

I have not had a single non-acceptance problem yet, so if your need is to buy from online sites that will only accept credit, and not debit cards, this is a working solution.

Edited by partington

I have used my BKK Bank debit card to buy online from many different country's.

I have never had a problem and I think its the best debit card in Thailand.coffee1.gif

I have used my BB card for online and local purchases for years. It's an easy process. They can do it by phone for you in 10 minutes.

Just tell them tell them you want to use the card online and they will do a process called Verified By Visa. Once it is in their system, you can use the card anywhere Visa is accepted.

I use mine at all ATMs in Thailand and have used it to pay for Thai hotels online.

Correct. I think. The only card that can't be used at other ATM's is Be1st Smart Card s it uses the EMV Chip which most ATM's can't verify yet.

I use that Be1st Smart Card and was never able to use at any ATM except BBL but it does works overseas.

There are several types of card available from Bangkok Bank, and I believe the OP has the wrong one.

The card that is for BBL ATMs only is no good.

Go back to the bank and tell them that you want a card that can be used in ATMs worldwide, and make sure it has the 3 digit CVV code number on the back. This card works online with no problem at all.

There are several types of card available from Bangkok Bank, and I believe the OP has the wrong one.

Go back to the bank and tell them that you want a card that can be used in ATMs worldwide, and make sure it has the 3 digit CVV code number on the back. This card works online with no problem at all.

Not true.. You can use either card online. You can have both cards if you want to use it at another banks ATM.

I have 2 BB cards one for ATM withdrawals and one with my name on to use online as most websites want the name on the card - each card 300 baht - separate PIN number for named card - never had a problem using it on the net

Be careful with Kasikorn Banks card online, I was out of pocket 5000Bt through it.

I have one...used it many many times for booking hotels, flights and purchases. You need to give the EXACT name as is on your bank account. Maybe that was your problem.

EDIT: I've also used it at many different ATMs around Thailand, Laos and Cambodia with no problems.

Edited by Fullstop

This is like many internet discussions. Lots of information, but difficult to get to the facts and actual answers. Be 1st Smart(Visa) is the card I was given for ATM's to use with a passbook. I also got a Mastercard - that is more of a credit card. My issue is getting the ONLINE banking set-up and to do transfers between accounts and other online banking. I am fairly new to Thailand. My second long term stay. I am learning and getting an education daily in so many ways. I am still trying to figure out the best way to get money from the USA to here at the best exchange rate and lowest costs. I just went back to reread and have tried to by a few things from Amazon, but many of what I was looking for could not be shipped here. So the adventure continues, but it is a great ride and journey. It helps to have a friend speak Thai at the Bank and they TRY VERY HARD to be helpful and get it done, but I am often at a loss exactly what and why and I sign so much stuff and give them my passport for copies WAY TOO MANY TIMES for comfort to do any large transactions, but they did HELP and get a transfer done to buy a small condo........but again had help along the way with a Thai Paralegal. Somehow things get done, but the how is always an adventure.

In order to use the ATM card as a debit card you need to have had it registered as a Debit card as well as an ATM card. i didnt realise the difference as in the UK if you get an ATM card which cant be used as a debit card it doesnt have the "Visa" log. All I had to was go to the bank and get it registered as debit AND ATM card which took 5 mins to sort out once I knew why my card was being rejected. This is what might have happened with you.

I opened the BBK Bank account 3 mos. ago.

a. I was informed that it has a chip. The card will work "Only IN Thailand ," with BBK Bank ATMS.

b. If i wanted a BKK Bank ATM card without a chip I would have to special order it with a extra fee and it would work in every ATM.

c. Some other countries already have the chip ATMS and they will also work.

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

I tend to agree, I have the same card and it is a complicated card to use ... I tried to buy lotto tickets on line .. always declined, however I have purchased Air Asia tickets with it & no problem. I can use it at any ATM in Thailand.

I use to have a Kasikorn Visa card ... that was a wasted effort, could not buy anything on line and just kept getting a bill for card keeping fees. Cut that one up ...

What happen to having a Visa / Debit card that can be used anywhere ? any ATM worldwide ? any on line purchase ?

is it possible .. ?

not able to use it at all in Hawaii.

These cards are being just referred to as 'Skim Free' cards. It is 'Chip and Pin Technology' or the slang term for them was ' Smart Cards' when the technology was introduced. Got BB Card with the Smart Chip and its not a great deal of inconvenience to seek out a Bangkok Bank ATM and they are a lot safer. I only use it for cash withdrawels. Now that all this useful information has been posted I shall go back to back to Bangkok bank get a Second Card and quote phil 2407 and Roach as above. Very helpful.

I've successfully used it to pay for a service online and I've also had it declined online via the "Verified by Visa" process....which is Visa declining the transaction, not BKK Bank.

I've also successfully used it many, many times as a debit card payment in local restaurants and stores but had it declined by the bank when I attempted to use it for payment in a store in Malaysia.

No problems whatsoever taking money out of an ATM, both in Thailand and in other countries.

OP is correct there is no name on;

I have used this cards for any payment in Thailand wo any problems,

as long as the amount is in the account;

I did a check in abroad - ATM - and it worked even in BiH !!

go to BB website and you will find different kind of this cards,

and select what ever fits your needs !!

My understanding is chipped cards like the BB card can only be used at chip reading equipped ATMs. I too can only use my BB card at BB ATMs. I have tried unsuccessfully numerous times to use both my BB and KTB cards for online purchases specifically flights. I finally gave up and use a credit card. The reason I have 2 thai accounts is I can transfer money basically free from the US to Thailand but I hate their mobile app where as I am amazed by KTBs Mobil app so I transfer from BB to KTB for daily usage.

Very helpful. From your post, I just went to the BKK Bank and got my card replaced with the new "skim-free" card. Took all of about 10 minutes, no charge. The lady did say I could only use this card at BKK Bank ATMs, which is fine cause that's all I use. But in time, assuming other banks upgrade their ATMs for skim-free cards, it could be use in other ATMs as well.

Can you use this card outside Thailand?

I have the card too and similar issues. The bank explained they were the first to fully implement chipped card technology and I believe they still have people with older non chip cards in use. (I suspect people here posting they have NO issues are probably using older cards yet. )So the problem is many stores and competing ATMs are not compatible. They stated it would be fully implemented by all banks by the end of the year. So when traveling you better carry cash or some backup cards.