Drains Blocked

Rimmer

Drove along the "Cornich" road last night from the lighthouse to the boat yard after the rain, it was mostly flooded, then we turned into second road at the flyover and it also was flooded up to maybe 12 or 18 inches in places all the way through to the Royal Garden. Cars, buses, motorbikes and mobile nooden shops stalled over the place, wet people everywhere pushing their mounts through wast deep water to higher dryer ground.

I don't understand how a road that is 2 to 3 mtrs above the sea and a few mtrs next to it can get flooded. Anybody know the answer?

Drove along the "Cornich" road last night from the lighthouse to the boat yard after the rain, it was mostly flooded, then we turned into second road at the flyover and it also was flooded up to maybe 12 or 18 inches in places all the way through to the Royal Garden. Cars, buses, motorbikes and mobile nooden shops stalled over the place, wet people everywhere pushing their mounts through wast deep water to higher dryer ground.

I don't understand how a road that is 2 to 3 mtrs above the sea and a few mtrs next to it can get flooded. Anybody know the answer?

too many farang in pattaya !

farang shit is more strong than thai shit and now can not go out !!!!!

thats rude............... no the roadmakers are the big problem the drains are too small and full of sand ro :o cks plastic bags dirt food and..................and yes fat

Thai people diligently sweep up all the rubbish and leaves from the road in front their houses then spend the rest of they day shoving the rubbish down the nearest drains, plus some contractors think it's ok to throw all their left over bricks and cement down there too, true I've seen it. Hence blocked drains. :o

Thai people diligently sweep up all the rubbish and leaves from the road in front their houses then spend the rest of they day shoving the rubbish down the nearest drains, plus some contractors think it's ok to throw all their left over bricks and cement down there too, true I've seen it. Hence blocked drains. :o

Don't forget the used cooking oil... :D

thats rude............... no the roadmakers are the big problem the drains are too small and full of sand ro :o cks plastic bags dirt food and..................and yes fat

thank you chatters ! and now we have new job in pattaya ! good for the economy system

yes and rubber condom ! was same in new york 10 years ago when shortage electricity ! baby boom and drains blocked

or a new tax for pattaya municipal on every barfind or paybar 10 bath for collecting condom and plastics bag

I hear that Kurgen's favourite 'Village' In S Pattaya was doing submarine impressions last night !

:D rimmer rimmer were is the light house"""""" :o

If you drive along the the 'cornish' road from the boatyard and past the Coastguard Place with the inflatable patrol boats outside just where the road bends and starts to climb up to the Helicopter pad/Sheraton Hotel/Royal Cliff Hotel, it's there, I think they let the fireworks off from there when it's not raining and the road is not flooded :D

that's easy, heavy rain + drainage installed by Thais = Flooding :o

Ah so, that simple huh? :D

Dude, you've got a problem. What is it? Your comments (on this and other threads) are stupid and inane. Just go away...

Thai people diligently sweep up all the rubbish and leaves from the road in front their houses then spend the rest of they day shoving the rubbish down the nearest drains, plus some contractors think it's ok to throw all their left over bricks and cement down there too, true I've seen it. Hence blocked drains. :D

yes and rubber condom ! was same in new york 10 years ago when shortage electricity ! baby boom and drains blocked

i forgot to mention i saw a builder??washing his gear and barrow which was still had cerment in it

then uplifted the lot into the drain hole .good one :o

I was worried about this when I left. I figured it would be just my luck that we'd have floods, and my moto would end up getting washed down a drain.

On my block we have a laundry shop that dumps a lot of water into the sewer. Even during the dry season, there is always a pool of waste water to keep the cockroaches happy. I noticed though, that the water level never seems to go down, even if there isn't anything going on in the laundry.

Landlady tells me it's becuase the local contractors dump their left-over cement and sand into the sewers (as you know, they often dump the sand on the road and mix the cement right there. Then sweep/hose the remainder into the sewer).

Add to that all the styrofoam, plastic bags and other garbage and it's easy to see why the sewers overflow so quickly.

That's one thing the couple of us from Thailand noticed shortly after arriving in Canada last month. You didn't have the ever-present odour of sewers assailing your nostrils all day long.

Just so long as it's all cleaned up by the time I return ! :o

I'm not an expert on sewers but there's a TV show in USA called "Dirty Jobs." On one segment, it was about the sewer cleaners whose job was to go around and remove trash and garbage that were stuck in the sewers. They worked for the city and that's what they did for a living. It may be that the city government of Pattaya is not using the services of the sewer cleaners like the ones on the TV show.

I'm not an expert on sewers but there's a TV show in USA called "Dirty Jobs." On one segment, it was about the sewer cleaners whose job was to go around and remove trash and garbage that were stuck in the sewers. They worked for the city and that's what they did for a living. It may be that the city government of Pattaya is not using the services of the sewer cleaners like the ones on the TV show.

Saw an article awhile back about the different social classes in India. In one picture they showed an "untouchable". His job was to crawl into blocked sewers and clean them out (by hand). Dressed in shorts and sandals. No protection of any kind.

Got to figure they probably don't enjoy long life spans.

Not sure what the city can do to improve the situation though. They could locate, tear up and replace the pipes in the problem areas, but very soon afterwards they would encounter similar problems in other areas.

Part of the problem is the city is growing faster than the infrastructure can handle.

Saw an article awhile back about the different social classes in India. In one picture they showed an "untouchable". His job was to crawl into blocked sewers and clean them out (by hand). Dressed in shorts and sandals. No protection of any kind.

Not sure what the city can do to improve the situation though. They could locate, tear up and replace the pipes in the problem areas, but very soon afterwards they would encounter similar problems in other areas.

Part of the problem is the city is growing faster than the infrastructure can handle.

You make a good point. Poor planning by the city may be a problem also. A city gov't should be proactive and plan ahead.

You make a good point. Poor planning by the city may be a problem also. A city gov't should be proactive and plan ahead.

It is said 'build the infrastructure' and it will lead an economic boom and nowhere is this more true than in Singapore, but I can remember as recently as 10 years ago Singapore Bukit Timah road flooding to a depth of one mtr every time it rained and the tide was high. This leads me to think this may not be such an easy problem to solve here in Pattaya and it may be something we have to live with as most of the land around here is low lying and building has overtaken infrastructure, that must surely be a recipe for on going problems with water management.

... and it may be something we have to live with as most of the land around here is low lying and building has overtaken infrastructure, that must surely be a recipe for on going problems with water management.

If there are enough people in city hall with an attitude like that, you will live w/ it.

... and it may be something we have to live with as most of the land around here is low lying and building has overtaken infrastructure, that must surely be a recipe for on going problems with water management.

If there are enough people in city hall with an attitude like that, you will live w/ it.

Maybe I did not make the point of my post very clear.

The point was that if a country as advanced as Singapore can't lick the problem then I regret it is going to be almost impossible here.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Maybe I did not make the point of my post very clear.

The point was that if a country as advanced as Singapore can't lick the problem then I regret it is going to be almost impossible here.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

You still don't make it clear. I'm not sure that Singapore is comparable to Pattaya. Back up your statement. There are places that are below sea level that seem to manage relatively well -- they use pumps, I think, to pump the water out before it becomes a problem.