Gov’t to gear up trash management

Gov’t to gear up trash management

BANGKOK, 6 June 2015 (NNT) – The government is gearing up the management of 30 million tons of garbage along with raising public awareness on environmental responsibility, says the PM.

In his national televised program, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said the government has been working to create an understanding among the public on the issue of excessive garbage. The urgent matter at hand is the management of the enormous 30 million tons of garbage nationwide.

According to the PM, the government has made the issue of trash management a national agenda and has appointed the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to come up with a 3-year road map, aimed at reducing the usage of polystyrene foam as food containers by using ones made from alternative materials such as bagasse, tapioca, palm, water hyacinth, or rice straw instead.

The roadmap will include the establishment of waste-to-energy power plants as well as pushing forward the 'Electronic Waste Management Act', that calls for all manufacturers and sellers to pay waste management costs.

The new law will encourage the manufacturers to create more environmentally friendly products that utilize less harmful materials which can be recycled, thus promoting a sustainable manufacturing and consumption framework.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-06 footer_n.gif

30 million tons , my ass, what about the other 30 million tons on the ground everywhere,,,,,,Educate the population to place the rubbish in the bins ,,,Than ,,,only than put a management plan into action with recycle plants and ultra high temperature safe furnaces ,,,just for starters !

Unfortunately, most small villages and communities have no garbage service available at all.

The people either pile the trs to be blown in the wind and rummaged by animals , or burn it, toxic materials an all.

Yes, garbage in Bangkok is an important issue.

Garbage in all of Thailand is an important issue as well.

We all breath the same air and live in the same environment.

Small community garbage and pollution does not stay in the small communities!

post-147745-0-91408000-1433593282_thumb.

When I saw this headline I thought that maybe "trash management" was a junta term for guidance as to how to vote in the charter referendum!

What a fiting avatar you have.. embarrassing.

So do you have anything fresh to say on your behalf about the topic at hand? The country is in dire straits when it comes to actually attempting to solve waste management problems. How do you think the NCPO should go about addressing the problems??

It would appear that there are several, probably many, TV readers and posters with waste management experience. Whilst they may "not be needed" in Bangkok, I'm sure those that live upcountry could have a very useful contribution to make, if only the local authorities had the will to ask for assistance from farangs. But would that be a loss of face and therefore never happen ?

When I saw this headline I thought that maybe "trash management" was a junta term for guidance as to how to vote in the charter referendum!

What a fiting avatar you have.. embarrassing.

So do you have anything fresh to say on your behalf about the topic at hand? The country is in dire straits when it comes to actually attempting to solve waste management problems. How do you think the NCPO should go about addressing the problems??

Well if you want my honest opinion they should head back to barracks and hand it, along with the job of governing the country, over to an elected government.

I don't expect there is any chance of you agreeing with me.

Don't worry about my avatar - I'm not in the slightest bit embarrassed - it's called a sense of humour! :)

Edited by JAG

Outside of traffic congestion and Thai driving, waste management is 3rd in my list of priorities even more than northern burning...

I am starting this Monday and I'll be done in two weeks....

Edited by cardinalblue