Soi Dogs -- Workaround?

The bamboo stick should do it, they know what that is. Another option is a small squirt gun with some vinegar in it, maybe add some cayenne pepper for good measure. They'll learn fast to leave you alone.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When confronted by a soi dog: Reach down like you are going to pick up a rock. They will almost always take off running! Someone told me this and I tried it a couple of weeks ago on a pair of aggressive barking dogs. As soon as I reached down, even though there were no rocks available, the dogs took off at full speed and didn't look back!

If pepper spray is not an option, make your own. We stayed in a hotel for two days and my wife left a near empty plate of somtam (phet phet) in the shower, just the fumes coming off the plate made my eyes water so bad I had to go outside.

Get the hottest peppers you can find, put them in a blender with some vinegar and a little oil, purée them and strain the juice through a coffee filter and get a good quality squirt gun to put it in. I think after being sprayed once they will leave you be.

Our dogs run at the sight of an electric mosquito tennis racket. They must have stepped on one when it was still charged. Probably won't work on dogs who haven't shocked themselves though

When confronted by a soi dog: Reach down like you are going to pick up a rock. They will almost always take off running! Someone told me this and I tried it a couple of weeks ago on a pair of aggressive barking dogs. As soon as I reached down, even though there were no rocks available, the dogs took off at full speed and didn't look back!

I tried that once in Hua Hin, the dog, a big one, a pet, was chained up. When he saw me reach down he went berserk and tried even harder to get free.

I sympathise with you and would like to kick the owners up the fundamental orifice.

A water pistol with citronella usually pulls dogs up short and does them no damage. If you run the same course they will soon realize you are a no go area.

Edited by Saan

I tried that once in Hua Hin, the dog, a big one, a pet, was chained up. When he saw me reach down he went berserk and tried even harder to get free.

He knew what you were up to. No way to tell if he would have come at you or run away? I'm going to try it a few more times to see what happens. I was surprised the time I tried it. They ran like they had been beat with a stick!

I bought me one of these and it works great!

dazeriipicwavesweb.jpg

It sends out a high pitch sound that startles the dog. Works great on the cats that used to come in my yard.

Hmm ... How much would that set me back vs. the bamboo stick or ammonia/water in the water gun, I wonder?

As people say, every dog in Thailand recognises a stick and the look of a man who is not afraid to use it.

Show fear and they are all over you ... never turn your back on them. I often run backwards waving my stick and they keep away.

You are too aggressive......

a) Give them some food

cool.png take a stick and stones and fight your way

c) find a other route

d) poison them

e) ride a bicycle instead

f) go swimming instead

g) start lifting weights instead

Not much of a human being would poison animals h90. I guess you aren't if you suggest that.

Lots of Thais poison dogs, tells you a lot eh, me? Im all for any method of dispatching them

As people say, every dog in Thailand recognises a stick and the look of a man who is not afraid to use it.

Show fear and they are all over you ... never turn your back on them. I often run backwards waving my stick and they keep away.

Will do. Cheers!

Take a light weight 3 to 4' piece of bamboo with you, and when they run after you turn around and whack the closest one. The closest will be the pack leader of the group. Once the pack leader knows you arent to be messed with they wont bother you. Soi dogs dont understand No, stay etc and the way Thais teach them is with a stick.

We used to have a similar problem walking our Doberman when she was a puppy. My wife insisted that a threat or a crack with a stick is the best and only way to stop soi dogs. She was right.

dazeriipicwavesweb.jpg

It sends out a high pitch sound that startles the dog. Works great on the cats that used to come in my yard.

I paid about £28 for mine, they do work, but if dog is deaf then you are in trouble.

Hmm ... How much would that set me back vs. the bamboo stick or ammonia/water in the water gun, I wonder?

I get pissed off with dogs shxt all over the place. they should do something about it over here.

I was walking through Regents Park ( London ) a few weeks ago,and noticed they have built a dogs lavatory. There is a sign saying DOGS LAVATORY --

I dont know of any dog that can read English. There were children from somewhere in the EU playing in it. It was obvios they also could not read English

Pepper spray works well I' believe it is ilegal over here. bear spray, it is worse if you can find it. When i walk I carry a 4 wood graphit shaft good head speed should seriously be a wake up call for any dumb mut who gets close enough to meet the head.

While living in Ukraine and before the 2012 soccer tournament, the Ukrainians swept the city of all feral dogs they had a large crematorium on wheels and would shoot the feral dogs and burn them while they were still alive! Is it any wonder why today they call some of the politicians Nazis!

I believe all the dogs should be neutered and spayed this would end the continued cycle of more dogs coming into the world. A female bitch is breedable at 6 months and will have 2 heats a year. Do the numbers it is almost an epedimic!

Also of note I read the other day that 40% of the dogs in Bangkok have rabbies!

I don't run, but I walk. It used to be that I was always bothered by soi dogs. At first, I carried a switchblade which I would show to them. This worked quite well but I was not completly comfortable with it. Then I made a thin walking stick which I can swish really fast wile looking right at the dog(s). This always does the trick. I also carry a couple of small stones in my pocket, about the size of an American quarter. I throw them at aggressive dogs and they always run away.

Good luck to you. coffee1.gif

I cycle every day,and have the same problem. I now carry a number 2 golf iron. I use a forged one as the sound of the club when it hits the dogs head is a nice CLUNK Not like the cheap

cast iron type,that tend to go PING

luv itcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

dazeriipicwavesweb.jpg

I think it was about $25 on Amazon. I bought two of them to make the shipping worth while.

Sometimes you can upset people over here. A few years ago i was on a run around the estate we lived on. All of a sudden a Thai lady came screaming out of her house

She yelled at me WHY YOU KICK MY DOG AND CALL HIM FLUCK OFF

He knew what you were up to. No way to tell if he would have come at you or run away? I'm going to try it a few more times to see what happens. I was surprised the time I tried it. They ran like they had been beat with a stick!

They typically back off and wait with this method. Probably to dodge the rock if you have one.

Never had a dog run away with this method.

Collapsible police baton. Carry it collapsed, about 10-12" long. Flick of the wrist and it extends and locks in place, becomes stiff, solid and very convincing when used. Collapse back by sharp rap on solid surface. Available at those small vendors selling knives, etc. for about 500 baht, negotiable.

Learn dog body language, all my local dogs are scared of me, you just explain to them once that their life is at risk if they attack, they will remember and stay clear.

i concur with that... if you run, never run away from the dog, never let the dog run behind you, instead run towards the dog...

they learn fast...

carry a "cane", 99,9% of those soi dogs know the swing of a stick and will back off immediately, all the dogs that ever attacked a person with a swinging stick aren't alive anymore...

oh, by the way, never hit air... if you intend to swing the cane, try to hit the dog...

Running and dogs, piece of cake...

driving you motorbike after dusk... some dogs really try hard to catch you, coming out of nowhere... sometimes you hit one with the bike, broke my big toe already once...

so, one night i went for the chase, with a stick, on the bike...

now they know me, the sound of my bike...

they even stopped chasing other village bikes...

its all a "pavlov training"