New Bt2000 fine for spitting, blowing nose and littering in public places

webfact

How can I unfollow a thread? I want out of this one.

Just let go man, let go..........................biggrin.png

I know how he feels. I opened the thread as I was eating a cheese and spinach pie.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the blowing nose means covering one nostril and bleing the snot out the other, which is pretty gross but who wants to walk around with a handkerchief full of snot sitting in their pocket in this climate?

Germans. I swear - every German male eating in a Khao Lak restaurant whips out a handkerchief at least twice during the meal and blows into it with an amazingly loud, 'honking' noise.

So... you walk around with a handkerchief full of snot in a cooler climate?

They always do that,even in Germany. I could never fathom that one out.

"I blew my nose and then they blew my mind" -Per Sir Mick

We'll make this place like Singapore! Just on surface of course..... give those hard working cops something to do whilst cracking down on those over charging lottery sellers, rather than going after violent and/or connected criminals

You mean Sir Prick

I think the blowing nose means covering one nostril and bleing the snot out the other, which is pretty gross but who wants to walk around with a handkerchief full of snot sitting in their pocket in this climate?

'Guess you've never had a cold then.

Most of this sounds good in theory, but I somehow doubt it'll actually be enforced against anybody but foreigners, and quickly become just another pretext for bogus police stops & shakedowns. Lots of high-fives being gleefully thrown down at the ThongLor precinct house I'll bet.

This law will only affect farangs because the Thia people do not read about laws and the Thai police will only fine foreiners. So Thailand and another reason for many farangs not to come to Thailand. I can not understand why Thailand is self imploding. This is a complete stupid scheme unless they are going to get a lot of Chinese visitors. If so many more laws should be voted on! What happens if you blow you ass?

Edited by Nobb

Don't blow your nose in public (in itself, ridiculous), but you can throw your garbage anywhere. Wonder if this will be enforced in only certain 'productive' areas. Nice one Thailand. I don't know how you are fooling but there's gonna be a lot of unhappy fined Chinese tourists!

"Littering" is included.

Yeah I read that after I posted. Let's count the minutes it will be enforced. Better they clean up the garbage everywhere already before anything is enforced. The authorities are so concerned "to be seen to be doing something - or having some kind of Baldrick plan, rather than actually doing something. Until the culture changes, nothing will change. No law will change behaviour, mainly because nothing is enforced.

Well, first of all I won’t be going to Japan anytime soon.

Second, blowing your nose in public will result in a fine?

That’s pathetic!

Give it a day, it will be retracted.

Maybe they should think about cleaning some of the garbage off the streets first and come up with a better solution than leaving piles of garbage for the trash collectors to pick up right off the sidewalk. Can you say trash bins?

Leaving trash on the street should be a crime.

Or maybe they think those rats who are bigger than my dogs are a good thing.

That’s a lot more of a health hazard than spitting or blowing ones nose.

Is this becoming Singapore?

At least you won't get fined for blowing nose in Singapore.

I don't believe cities are the problem. When I lived in Bangkok they'd be out collecting the trash/hosing down the pavements every day. back on erstwhile green and pleasant Phuket there's shit every damn where. All thrown around the sois into the once pristine green areas around the houses/klongs. Disgusting. Start there.

You obviously haven't been around the pavement stalls, which leave an accumulation of trash around. The BMA brought in the fine years ago, but unless you are a foreigner (B2,000 in USD equals $100), it's enforcement has proved the usual BS. Nose blowing, though. That's original. Especially given the number of viruses floating around Bangkok. Presumably, anyone wishing to blow their nose is going to have to settle for snorting.

Don't blow your nose in public (in itself, ridiculous), but you can throw your garbage anywhere. Wonder if this will be enforced in only certain 'productive' areas. Nice one Thailand. I don't know how you are fooling but there's gonna be a lot of unhappy fined Chinese tourists!

"Littering" is included.

Yeah I read that after I posted. Let's count the minutes it will be enforced. Better they clean up the garbage everywhere already before anything is enforced. The authorities are so concerned "to be seen to be doing something - or having some kind of Baldrick plan, rather than actually doing something. Until the culture changes, nothing will change. No law will change behaviour, mainly because nothing is enforced.

555 "baldrick plan" 555 actually a blackadder style comedy set with thais would be a winner here on TV

boundless material to draw from

About time they charge people for throwing garbage, but spitting?

How is that bothering anybody? (unless you are the kind of person

that do not fart?) If I spit, it`s because I have to. It`s a natural thing

to do when you have something in your mouth that you should not

swallow, like tobacco, snot, or when you realized you put your finger

in your mouth after hitting it with a hammer, and realize you have not

cleaned your hand all day.

Cheers :)

Blowing nose ??? seems a bit extreme

They're referring to snot rockets. Holding one side of the nostril closed and forcing boogies out the other side.. I see lots of people doing it on the streets including some Thais. Absolutely disgusting. If they do it into a bush or something that's not a big deal. But doing it on the sidewalk or near where people are is nasty.

No more Public Okie-Blowing.......Great.

What about into a tissue? walking down Sukhumvit Rd , near the Emporium and the litter cops???? um.

Yes, indeed - how many times have you seen a Thai fined 2000 baht for "littering" in Sukhumvit Road?

What about into a tissue? walking down Sukhumvit Rd , near the Emporium and the litter cops???? um.

Yes, indeed - how many times have you seen a Thai fined 2000 baht for "littering" in Sukhumvit Road?

As has already been stated, "walking" Thais are unlikely to have 2,000 baht on them. So it makes far more sense to target foreigners.

You could always use a tissue and throw it into a trash bin later. You could even carry a 7/11 plastic bag with you to put used tissues into.

If you can find a trash bin! I think in the Sikhumvit Road area, they're on the endangered species list!

This law will only affect farangs because the Thia people do not read about laws and the Thai police will only fine foreiners. So Thailand and another reason for many farangs not to come to Thailand. I can not understand why Thailand is self imploding. This is a complete stupid scheme unless they are going to get a lot of Chinese visitors. If so many more laws should be voted on! What happens if you blow you ass?

If they start fining people for "blowing their asses" then a lot of us farangs are in big trouble ! whistling.gif

Do the same laws apply to the police who I reguarly see spitting and blowing their noses by sticking a thumb up each side and "snotting" it out?

I'd say that's the kind of "nose blowing" they're talking about. All you civilised tissue/nose blowers can relax.

My thought exactly,,,,, I'm sure they "mean",,, pressing one side close,, and blowing the other side out onto the ground,,, But GARRANTEED,,, the butt police, will interpriate it as simply, "blowing nose in public",,,, even USING a tissue,,,, I'm fairly sure that's NOT the intent,,, but hey,,, "You Farlang, you blow nose, you pay,,,, and will hand you a printed card stating that,, "Blowing nose in public, $2000 baht fine",,, with no explanation of what it REALLY means,,, So will issue the $2000 fine into their own pocket,,,,

Edited by Adeeos

Surely only the most avid Thai basher can find fault with this

Litter and garbage are huge problems here in Phuket ( and Samui ) and I can only applaud any efforts to make the streets and the sea cleaner!