Will lack of education be the downfall of Thailand?

khunpa

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell us you can't buy a Yank one then, I know different

You cannot buy a degree from a legitimate accredited university in the USA. No brag just fact. You are mistaken. If you know different post it. Proof is necessary as the opinion of an uneducated tradesman is hardly worth anything.biggrin.png

Edited by lostoday

Way off topic now,

But in my opinion, those with Australian/NZ educations generally seem to have much poorer English skills than the rest of the native English speaking world.

(from reading assorted posts on these forums)

Way off topic now,

But in my opinion, those with Australian/NZ educations generally seem to have much poorer English skills than the rest of the native English speaking world.

I'm sure Australia and NZ and the USA and UK all have fine universities where it is required to work very hard for a degree. Many places in the US will let in anyone because of a variety of reasons; legacy, State residence and so on but to stay in and get a degree is a horse of a different color.

Lack of education will hardly be the downfall of Thailand as education is not what made them a success so far.

Look at the success of Thailand to date and it is those things that will make them a success in the future. I've read they have too many college graduates as it is anyway.

Thailand needs lack of corruption and people who can plumb and wire a building.

Edited by lostoday

Way off topic now,

I think you're right and you know I'm an Aussie.

Off topic; I've met many from the UK and U.S. that were lacking also.

Anyhow, I agree with Mike in that I'd educate my child in Aus should we have one.

Also agreeable with Lostoday; there's enough graduates here; a surplus.

How about more into the trades.

The education standard must be lifted here, rid corruption, and enforce stringent criteria for acceptance and subsequent passing.

That push might see some astute young ones choose different careers with equivalent or better opportunities and wealth creation…the trades for example.

It's a big wish, but possible.

Sure, Thai students don't do as well as their neighbors in scoring exams .. so what? How much do words on a piece of paper really mean? I'm sure they'd fail a Western-baised IQ test too. A stupid Thai has a much greater chance of serviving in Thai society than a well-educated farang. They were raised in Thailand, they know more than you ever will. All the subtilties of spoken and body gestures they've ingested over a life time trump all of our colored perceptions.

If anyone has hopes a culture with convert over to something more of your liking has a long wait. Like generations.

Edited by 1900

Sure, Thai students don't do as well as their neighbors in scoring exams .. so what? How much do words on a piece of paper really mean? I'm sure they'd fail a Western-baised IQ test too. A stupid Thai has a much greater chance of serviving in Thai society than a well-educated farang. They were raised in Thailand, they know more than you ever will. All the subtilties of spoken and body gestures they've ingested over a life time trump all of our colored perceptions.

If anyone has hopes a culture with convert over to something more of your liking has a long wait. Like generations.

Oh brother; I only hope English is your 2nd language.

You have some serious spelling and grammatical limitations.

Firstly, we are not talking specifically about exams.

It's the new world mate; globalisation and competitiveness.

Get with the program bud.

I suggest you read and digest the entire thread before making further comments.

Agree. These foreigners who don't want the Thais to progress, especially if they have families are the worse sort.

The Thai may not be so "stupid" if they had access to better more equal opportunity education system.

Agree. These foreigners who don't want the Thais to progress, especially if they have families are the worse sort.

The Thai may not be so "stupid" if they had access to better more equal opportunity education system.

They have access to it but are too lazy to click a button when it comes to learning. Since 90% of the online free education is in English the first thing is to learn English and that is only a click away.

Australian inventions? Just off the top of my head.

The drip-less tea-bag.

The cure for stomach ulcers.

The orbital engine.

The black-box flight recorder.

The heart pacemaker.

Plastic bank-notes.

The electric drill.

And there are many, many more.

The dual flush toilet!

Australian inventions? Just off the top of my head.

The drip-less tea-bag.

The cure for stomach ulcers.

The orbital engine.

The black-box flight recorder.

The heart pacemaker.

Plastic bank-notes.

The electric drill.

And there are many, many more.

The dual flush toilet!

Actually, the Brits invented that one.

A brick in the cistern, or, no brick in the cistern.

I get the impression that kids here in Thailand in the lower and possibly upper grades of primrary school are actually ahead of their peers in developed Western countires due to the old school emphasis on disicipline and rote learning. Somewhere along the way though this must become counterproductive as global school rankings bear out.

My guess is a dysfunctional secondary school system and a lack of mental stimulation in the home and society in general causes Thai kids to fall behind their peers in other countries.

Who do you all think you are? You move to a country and expect them to change everything because you said so?? The arrogance of Westerners(in general) is baffling! The Thai educational system is preparing Thai children to survive in Thai society. The majority of Thai kids will be unaffected by Thailand's entry into ASEAN. There will never be any freedom of movement between these countries other than for tourism.The movement of labour will be highly restricted, as it should be. Thailand has almost full employment and little or no welfare state. The education system here is not trying to prepare students to be statesmen or women.Its giving them the tools to be successful...in Thailand! And it des exactly what it sayd on the tin...

Westerners need to realise that this is not Europe of the US. Things are different here.That doesn't mean that things are bad. Look at how happy Thai people are. Compare that to people from Nanny states in Europe who are miserable and do nothing but complain and pay their taxes and bills. Look at the respect that Thai people have for elders.Look at how they take care of their families.. Look at the positives instead of attempting to impose Western ideas and values upon the world. The most evil race of people to ever walk the Earth were White people! Realise this and open your narrow minded perceptions of Asian civilisation.

dont like white people eh,racist it seems

Nah........just another farang in touch with his "Thainess".

Indeed, and "claffey" is a fine Thai apologist.

Who do you all think you are? You move to a country and expect them to change everything because you said so?? The arrogance of Westerners(in general) is baffling! The Thai educational system is preparing Thai children to survive in Thai society. The majority of Thai kids will be unaffected by Thailand's entry into ASEAN. There will never be any freedom of movement between these countries other than for tourism.The movement of labour will be highly restricted, as it should be. Thailand has almost full employment and little or no welfare state. The education system here is not trying to prepare students to be statesmen or women.Its giving them the tools to be successful...in Thailand! And it des exactly what it sayd on the tin...

Westerners need to realise that this is not Europe of the US. Things are different here.That doesn't mean that things are bad. Look at how happy Thai people are. Compare that to people from Nanny states in Europe who are miserable and do nothing but complain and pay their taxes and bills. Look at the respect that Thai people have for elders.Look at how they take care of their families.. Look at the positives instead of attempting to impose Western ideas and values upon the world. The most evil race of people to ever walk the Earth were White people! Realise this and open your narrow minded perceptions of Asian civilisation.

Lot of points here,

Why do you think free movement of labour should be restricted, has Europe got it wrong?

Miserable people in the UK and USA, thought that was to do with feminism and the weather, not education.

Thai people take care of their families? On the surface yes, but in reality not so much, children are often completely abandoned, girls sent into prostitution by their parents.

White people are evil???

What colour was Genghis Khan, The Chinese and Japanese weren't all that nice. American Indians didn't treat each other all that well. Don't mention the Arabs, they invented slavery. What about the Zulus, they were black and slaughtered everyone they could.

Maybe you fell asleep in your history lessons, or your school didn't bother teaching much about the non-white parts of the world.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I get the impression that kids here in Thailand in the lower and possibly upper grades of primrary school are actually ahead of their peers in developed Western countires due to the old school emphasis on disicipline and rote learning. Somewhere along the way though this must become counterproductive as global school rankings bear out.

My guess is a dysfunctional secondary school system and a lack of mental stimulation in the home and society in general causes Thai kids to fall behind their peers in other countries.

Certainly not ahead in anything else but standing neatly in line singing the national anthem and kings song.

Oh, sorry, I had no idea you were an owner and mod. In the future I'll be sure to check all I post as if it were a letter to God.

If you're not talking about exams and scores how would you determine if Thai education was good or bad? Maybe the student who gives the best polished apple to the teacher is the class' most intelligent?

Certainly not ahead in anything else but standing neatly in line singing the national anthem and kings song.

Schools in developed countries fritter their time away on a whole bunch of assorted fluff. Only difference is they don't seem to be spending the rest of the time on rote learning like Thai schools.

Thailand is competing against its neighbors for FDI. Note that since 2012 this has been falling while FDI in neighboring countries has been rising rapidly.

Note new business start ups is falling today in Thailand as a whole whilst unemployment is risig.

Where will all these young people find jobs in 15 years time? Preparing people to survive in Thailand isn't enough.

Thailand is competing against its neighbors for FDI. Note that since 2012 this has been falling while FDI in neighboring countries has been rising rapidly.

Note new business start ups is falling today in Thailand as a whole whilst unemployment is risig.

Where will all these young people find jobs in 15 years time? Preparing people to survive in Thailand isn't enough.

Since you wrote "Note new business start ups is falling today in Thailand as a whole whilst unemployment is risig." You must know the increase in the rate of failing new start up businesses and the rate that the employment is rising. What is it? Link it?

1. Failure rate increase of small businesses?

2. Unemployment rate increase?

Or are you making up stuff and exaggerating? Personally I think you are making up porkies and exaggerating but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you are telling the truth post the links.biggrin.png

Since you wrote "Note new business start ups is falling today in Thailand as a whole whilst unemployment is risig." You must know the increase in the rate of failing new start up businesses and the rate that the employment is rising. What is it? Link it?

Or are you making up stuff and exaggerating? Personally I think you are making up porkies and exaggerating but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you are telling the truth post the links.biggrin.png

See discussion in Thaivisa today about startup and business closures....its not hard

Plus other various ones about unemployment. Plus other ones about FDI. Accusing me of porkies isn't very becoming....

Edited by Thai at Heart

See discussion in Thaivisa today about startup and business closures....its not hard

Plus other various ones about unemployment. Plus other ones about FDI. Accusing me of porkies isn't very becoming....

I have no idea what Thaivisa today is. A bunch of posters in a bar talking about stuff they know nothing about? Other various ones about unemployment more guys in a bar in London talking about stuff they don't know nothing about.

I asked for a link. That is the way things are done. If you are telling the truth you should be able to provide documentation otherwise a porkie told twice does not make it true.thumbsup.gif

I have no idea what Thaivisa today is. A bunch of posters in a bar talking about stuff they know nothing about? Other various ones about unemployment more guys in a bar in London talking about stuff they don't know nothing about.

I asked for a link. That is the way things are done. If you are telling the truth you should be able to provide documentation otherwise a porkie told twice does not make it true.thumbsup.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/833952-thai-dbd-17-increase-in-business-closures-seen-in-may/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754882-unemployment-rises-during-second-quarter-of-2014-thailand/

So, yes unemployment is rising,and new business start ups are falling, and yes, Thailand is in competition with its neighbours for international investment, and believe me, as nice as home grown small businesses are nice, one massive foreign factory, on a green field site, with all the associated add construction, and suppliers required brings massive benefit to Thailand.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-05-29/thailands-coup-may-send-investors-to-its-asian-neighbors

Thailand Foreign Direct Investment 1997-2015 | Data | Chart | Calendar Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand decreased to 30770.01 THB Million in March of 2015 from 41439.74 THB Million in February of 2015. Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand averaged 20932.74 THB Million from 1997 until 2015, reaching an all time high of 94548.72 THB Million in January of 2015 and a record low of -71548.10 THB Million in October of 2011. Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand is reported by the Bank of Thailand.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/foreign-direct-investment

FDI has been flat in value increase since 2011, because of the political nonsense and companies moving into the neighboring countries.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/833952-thai-dbd-17-increase-in-business-closures-seen-in-may/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754882-unemployment-rises-during-second-quarter-of-2014-thailand/

So, yes unemployment is rising,and new business start ups are falling, and yes, Thailand is in competition with its neighbours for international investment, and believe me, as nice as home grown small businesses are nice, one massive foreign factory, on a green field site, with all the associated add construction, and suppliers required brings massive benefit to Thailand.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-05-29/thailands-coup-may-send-investors-to-its-asian-neighbors

Thailand Foreign Direct Investment 1997-2015 | Data | Chart | Calendar Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand decreased to 30770.01 THB Million in March of 2015 from 41439.74 THB Million in February of 2015. Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand averaged 20932.74 THB Million from 1997 until 2015, reaching an all time high of 94548.72 THB Million in January of 2015 and a record low of -71548.10 THB Million in October of 2011. Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand is reported by the Bank of Thailand.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/foreign-direct-investment

FDI has been flat in value increase since 2011, because of the political nonsense and companies moving into the neighboring countries.

number of companies being shut down during the month was at 977, edging up 17 percent.

April to June 2014, raising the unemployment rate to 1 percent nationwide. Most of the unemployed were farmers, who lost their jobs due to this year’s drought situation.

Thanks for the links.

Oh, sorry, I had no idea you were an owner and mod. In the future I'll be sure to check all I post as if it were a letter to God.

If you're not talking about exams and scores how would you determine if Thai education was good or bad? Maybe the student who gives the best polished apple to the teacher is the class' most intelligent?

Not an owner, nor mod, nor God (don't believe anyhow).

Read the thread man or go back to school.

Your response makes you a fool.

Not an owner, nor mod, nor God (don't believe anyhow).

Read the thread man or go back to school.

Your response makes you a fool.

Yo, Black Cok, I know you're not a mod nor an owner. You're just another miserable drunken expat coward with a hardon for anyone with a lower post-count than you, and transparent like an adolescent girl. And no doubt you can't get laid, even in Thailand. cheesy.gif