buying a used moped. Logistics...

We are thinking of buying a used moped thats listed for 36k baht and its done 4500km on the clock. The reason for buying a used one is bc its for my wifes employee who will use it from monday to friday. I dont want to buy a new one just for her to use 6 days and we will only use 1 day. We might find a cheaper / older one at 25k.

The place where we will buy it from sells and rents them. I intend to rent the one that I like and test it for a week or so.

If I decide to buy it and if it has existing registration, what do I need to do to transfer the registration to my name? How do I check if there is existing finance on it?

Any other tips are appreciated

thanks

Although the mileage is low, and without knowing what bike it is .. Isn't the price a bit high.

I bought my first mode of transport here for 8k .. I have bought a few 2 year old - repossession jobs for 25k, perfectly fine from a guy who get repossession, cleans them up and sells them on.

If the book has a green book you're fine, a copy of the dealers ID card. These guys who sell bikes on will usually do the transfer included in the price of the bike, just supply your WP / cert-res or copy your partners ID card.

Also check to see if the road tax has been paid up as you could be liable.

Edited by recom273

There is a place in Bangkok where there is an auction every Saturday I think of huge amounts of mopeds. I am not sure where it is in Bangkok, I have driven past it many times but now I just cant remember where it is. I think it is somewhere near MinBuri or between Bangkapi and MinBuri. Maybe someone else knows about this place and can advice the location?

We are selling motocycles from 27000 THB to 38000 THB

What to take care about, the Motorcycles ...

a) seriously should have the green book (we have them always)

B) should have ready paid tax and insurance (we do this in the price inclusive)

c) will be arranged to the new owner name by the dealer (we do this in the price inclusive)

Important is for arranging the new owner is

- a thai person with valid ID-Card/Driver Licence

- a foreigner with valid passport and workpermit

if all this fits we can support you

Greetings

MABOO Motorcycles
Boothsabong & Martin

post-239619-0-02647100-1435115339_thumb.

post-239619-0-91974000-1435115375_thumb.

post-239619-0-60425400-1435115446_thumb.

Moped is the same as Yamaha mio/Honda click

But the engine can not be larger than 50cc. At least

In The States

A Moped is technically a motorbike with pedals.. Like a Pooch Maxi etc..

But the term has been modified to mean 50cc learner bikes.. But not really the Thai scooters as much.

We are selling motocycles from 27000 THB to 38000 THB

What to take care about, the Motorcycles ...

a) seriously should have the green book (we have them always)

cool.png should have ready paid tax and insurance (we do this in the price inclusive)

c) will be arranged to the new owner name by the dealer (we do this in the price inclusive)

Important is for arranging the new owner is

- a thai person with valid ID-Card/Driver Licence

- a foreigner with valid passport and workpermit

NO NEED A WORKPERMIT ONLY COPY YELLOW BOOK OR RESIDENT CERTIFICAT FROM IMMIGRATION

if all this fits we can support you

Greetings

MABOO Motorcycles

Boothsabong & Martin

I bought a used bike. The previous owner stick handled my way through the process. Had to take

it to a test and registration center about 25 minutes drive from Pattaya. Took a couple of hours

filling forms and waiting for the bike inspection etc. Make it a condition of purchase from the rental

company. It will be easy for them as they go through the process regularly. Best of luck.

There is a place in Bangkok where there is an auction every Saturday I think of huge amounts of mopeds. I am not sure where it is in Bangkok, I have driven past it many times but now I just cant remember where it is. I think it is somewhere near MinBuri or between Bangkapi and MinBuri. Maybe someone else knows about this place and can advice the location?

Yes, I can't tell you exactly, but your correct.

If you head down Ram road then there are a couple of places, there is a smaller auction place opposite a big orange Adventist school, past big C, past the airplane scrap yard. I know people who have bought decent scooters from there - HP repossession jobs - you can go and inspect prior to the auction.

I think the op means a 'scooter'

They usually are 110 to 150cc in engine size

The most common late model smaller scooters are called Elegance ( or MX - both 135's ) Mio ( 125) and Fino (115) (all Yamaha) and Scoobie (115 ) and Click (125) , both Hondas

We own a few and its my wifes opinion that the Hondas are the best , and so far shes proven correct as the Yamahas always are harder to start and the key barrels wear out

IMO the Click 125i up to 3 years old is the best for performance and reliability and as Thais appreciate them most , and will have the best resale

People ask for 35k for these , but come down to 30k with some discussion

Be aware that the older Click ( with pointy tail lights and 4+ years old ) and no "i" on its badging is much less powered ( 113 cc ) , but will go well on the flat and sell for around 20k - there will be hundreds of them for sale

This model may not be a problem at all for a free "staff" bike and you will still get something like 18k for it in a year or two !

Hondas are that reliable ( as long as you change the oil ! )

If the lady is very small then look to a Yamaha 'Fino' or a Honda 'Scoopie' around 4 years old for about 20k

Note the post above that mentions the buyer will need a 'work permit'

Of course your Thai missus doesnt , but neither do you

A 60 day + visa will do

You will need the Green Book always ,

-plus a signed photocopy of a Thai owners ID

- (If you buy from a non-Thai) , you also need signed photocopies of

* The foreigners Passport ID page + Last entry stamp + Exit card + CURRENT visa stamp

PLUS you will always need ( signed by seller and you ) an Official government Ownership Transfer Form and ( if the owner will not be accompanying you to the offices to hand over and sign ) an Official 'Power of Attorney Form'

These are available at any Law Offices for virtually nothing ,,,

AND , most importantly , I reiterate , the Green ( ownership ) book!!!

Do not buy anything without this book

But wait , theres more!

When you turn up to officailly transfer the scooter into your name , as a foreigner you will need a 'Proof of Residence' letter , acquired from Immigration and acquired by presenting a current Lease Agreement ( or a Land Book with your name in it ) and two photos and a filled in form availabe there ( and sometimes 300 baht bribe - sigh )

A Thai only needs an ID card

Now some TV people will come on here and say , "When I bought my scooter 10 years ago in Nakhon Nowhere I didnt need nuffin ,,,

So I qualify and say that the info Im giving you is THIS WEEK , and applies in Phuket

PHEW , I was only going to make a brief reply !!!