Phuket Airport. Damaged oil pan of BIG BIKE driving up small ramp to get to advised parking lot.

ALFREDO

AOT - Phuket Airport.

Damaged the oil pan of BIG BIKE driving up a small ramp to get to the advised parking lot.

They building a new bigger Phuket Airport, I was long time not there, drove in and came out without seeing my usual parking space for motorbikes.

On the way out, I asked security, they advised to drive in and than left inside.

Driving in I asked security again and got the same respond, saw also the motorbikes parked from there.

Reaching that parking spot, I realized, its full and crowded and small short concrete ramps had been built,

to get on the really high curbstone, reach the, as I think temporary to small parking space.

I thought of not driving up, as the parking was really full and I had a rented big Yamaha FZ 800, nearly no place to turn and than back the small ramp reverse not so easy.

BUT, I would have been the only one parking not upstairs, so I drove really slowly up, as there was no space, all full.

I heared a slight -CLING- the motorbikes oil pan-aluminium, had scratched the curbstone-concrete

and to my horror, I saw oil, slowly flowing to the floor.

I stopped the engine, pushed the bike to the only free, big enough parking spot I saw.

Slowly all oil came out, I called the Motorbike rental office, they picked me and the bike up.

Now they asked for

6.000.- Baht for the oil pan,
3.000.- Baht for 4 L oil for 700.- Baht each
Yamaha said to him, 2 week waiting, he charges me therefore 1 week rental = 7.000.- Baht
He talks from 17.000.- Baht
I called Yamaha beforehand and the oil pan price should be ok from price, but have to call again from delivery time.
I complained about that all to AOT, by Official Form in Phuket Airport at AOT office
sent, e.mail with photos and complained also in an Internet chat.
I not surprised, I do hear nothing in respond until now. Was just 3 day ago on a Sunday.
BUT, I think, AOT es responsible when they advise such an unfitting parking lot.
They should have an insurance. At least I hope so. sad.pngblink.png

11637956_903817336323226_2022458225_n.jp

11655479_903817419656551_1473323927_n.jp

11653342_903817466323213_509402975_n.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sure the condition of the parking was sub standard but unfortunately you as the operator of the vehicle are responsible. If there was 1000 nails laying in that parking spot you would use your judgement not to park there. Same in this case. unfortunately as it was a rental bike it suggests that you probably were unfamiliar with the capabilities and used poor judgement.

Alfredo does the bike rental agency have your passport? If they do it looks to me like you will have to pay, if they don't maybe some negotiation will be possible but I'm of the same opinion as eeeya, I think that even though the ramp was substandard the ultimate responsibility in Thailand rests with you.

Alfredo does the bike rental agency have your passport? If they do it looks to me like you will have to pay, if they don't maybe some negotiation will be possible but I'm of the same opinion as eeeya, I think that even though the ramp was substandard the ultimate responsibility in Thailand rests with you.

The ramp can hardly be classed as "sub-standard" based on one example as there are other bikes parked up there and don't see any with the sumps torn off them rolleyes.gif

going to disagree on this one and would suggest the root cause is more to do with not paying attention and knowing the bikes limitations

so either 1. the insurance you took out on the rental is paying

2. your putting your hand in your pocket

To me at least this has nothing to do with AOT

Never park a big bike with scooters. Totally different. When ever they direct me that way, I just smile and park where I want. Had 1 security guard tell me to park with scooters. In a very loud voice, I said, "NO!" Not Thai style, I know, but then they have never ridden a 400 kg bike.

Some big shopping centers actually have big bike parking.

Dude, sorry to say this is Thailand and not your home country.

i think even if this happened in the USA or Europe you would be responsible,just because they advised to park there it's up to you to decide if it's safe or not to do so.

From the picture other bikes parked there with no issue, so I assume your bike sits very low to the ground. Negotiate with the bike rental shops. 750B per liter of oil seems

very high. I get the oil changed on my truck 5 liters of oil for 1500B including the filer. Is the bike rental place going to give you another bike to use while this bike is being fixed?

Any time I rented a car in Thailand before i moved to Thailand full time if the oil needed to be changed or any work needed to be done they provided another car to use. Even when i had an accident that was my fault the car was in the shop for 2 weeks and they gave me another car to use. Your fault or not you are paying to use a bike, bike rental should have had the option to

include insurance or you proved insurance coverage yourself, did you get the insurance? If not call your insurance company to see if they cover rentals, some credit cards when you use them

to rent a car they provide insurance coverage.

im sure the condition of the parking was sub standard but unfortunately you as the operator of the vehicle are responsible. If there was 1000 nails laying in that parking spot you would use your judgement not to park there. Same in this case. unfortunately as it was a rental bike it suggests that you probably were unfamiliar with the capabilities and used poor judgement.

Its impossible to know, how the oil pan is built, on a rented motorbike you take out for a day - built crazy in that way, as the Oil drain plug is dangerous exposed and poorly secured, in another thread a FZ owner writes,

"The pan design is flawed because there's a fin on the bottom of the pan that's supposed to protect the drain plug. However all it seems to do is concentrate any impact on the bottom of the pan and crack it around the bolt."

He sent also a photo, which I show now to.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826754-ducati-monster-821-yamaha-mt-09-kawasaki-z-800-which-one/page-8

post-212467-0-67479200-1435075092_thumb.

In that way - I find it completely wrong to compare that problem and mishap, with a good to judge problem as nails are. blink.png

Also to say, I was concerned because of the cramped parking space with little maneuvering possibility, not from the ramps height. All other bikes a 600 ? Honda was parked next to mine came up without a leaking oil pan.

That the oil pan is made from aluminium was than the nail in the coffin. whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Yes, they had and I could not care less, if I felt I got a bad deal. I just would make a new Passport and then they can look for me to go for the law.

But, I paid already and I am back in Isaan.

I have a different opinion, I think that is where Liability insurance should come in and pay.

The AOT asks all Motorbikes to use these ramps so they have to check that standard motorbikes same this

Yamaha FZ 800 can use the ramps.

I asked - after the accident happened the security guys sitting at the entrance of the motorbike parking lot,

if I could park near their place - for some minutes, with a "special Big Bike" they said NO, I have to use the assigned parking space for motorbikes behind them.

Anyway, I wanted, possibly send this thread to AOT, BUT, the postings are only water on the AOT mills.bah.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

They should have an insurance. At least I hope so.

Claim it on your insurance, after all it was you who was in control of the bike

You do have insurance don't you ?

That was - when you read exactly - a rented bike and if they have a Number 1 insurance, which would include such a mishap, they did not tell me.

On the other hand, yes, if I would have been the owner of that bike, I would have a good insurance and would not write here.

Also, the price would then be not 17.300.- Baht as I paid, but only 50 % of it.

The ramp can hardly be classed as "sub-standard" based on one example as there are other bikes parked up there and don't see any with the sumps torn off them rolleyes.gif

going to disagree on this one and would suggest the root cause is more to do with not paying attention and knowing the bikes limitations

so either 1. the insurance you took out on the rental is paying

2. your putting your hand in your pocket

To me at least this has nothing to do with AOT

AOT, should hire you as a lawyer. coffee1.gif

You rented a FZ 800 that did not have insurance?

Come on man.

You were in control of all this situation from start to finish.

After that question, I have ta assume, you are not familiar with Thailand. rolleyes.gif

You will be surprised, not even the Test Motorbikes for rides before selling,

from Honda Big Wing-Thailand are insured.wink.png

I think you should call an attorney and sue AOT for damages to your bike and mental anguish. Demand a million baht.

First you try your luck, sir. tongue.png After I see the outcome, I will decide. coffee1.gif

Never park a big bike with scooters. Totally different. When ever they direct me that way, I just smile and park where I want. Had 1 security guard tell me to park with scooters. In a very loud voice, I said, "NO!" Not Thai style, I know, but then they have never ridden a 400 kg bike.

Some big shopping centers actually have big bike parking.

You right, BUT Phuket airport is in renovation and new buildings the place is sealed off, not the normal circumstances now.

I would have been absolutely the only motorbike, not parking upstairs that curbstones.

Surely only few big bikes there in the night, I saw one.

Come on man.

After that question, I have ta assume, you are not familiar with Thailand. rolleyes.gif

I know for sure that Ducati Pattaya had class A insurance on the Hyperstrada I tried last year, I signed a paper before the ride, that I will pay max 15k baht if any damage to the bike while testing it, more than 15k baht damage, insurance takes over.

Well Alfredo, this little adventure are gonna cost you, you just have to live with it and nothing you can do about it and thank your lucky star that damage was not 100k baht, as I assume the renter don't have class A on the bike?

Hopefully you got wiser and it will help you deciding on you next bike.

Dude, sorry to say this is Thailand and not your home country.

i think even if this happened in the USA or Europe you would be responsible,just because they advised to park there it's up to you to decide if it's safe or not to do so.

Is the bike rental place going to give you another bike to use while this bike is being fixed?

I did have to park and it did not look dangerous for the motorbike.

Your easy opinion regarding Insurance claims and insurance litigations would make most of them needless.

Do not need any other bike, would only get other bike if I pay for that too. was a one day rent

and I back in Isaan already.

Come on man.

I know for sure that Ducati Pattaya had class A insurance on the Hyperstrada I tried last year, I signed a paper before the ride, that I will pay max 15k baht if any damage to the bike while testing it, more than 15k baht damage, insurance takes over.

Well Alfredo, this little adventure are gonna cost you, you just have to live with it and nothing you can do about it and thank your lucky star that damage was not 100k baht, as I assume the renter don't have class A on the bike?

Honda Big Wing Phuket told me today - "You know, we have no insurance on that bike Honda CB 650 F"

Did also nothing sign or was advised from Ducati Phuket some days ago, about anything from insurance, before my test ride, maybe they have?.

If I would do nothing about it, It wouldn't be me.

I can live with a =NO=, but I cannot live to know, that I did not ask. tongue.png

A broken -oil pan- made from aluminium on a Yamaha FZ 09 makes me wiser, in that way,

as I know now, that FZ 09 have aluminium -oil pans- and that these brake easy, a -oil pan- made from steel would not have brought that problem, would not have got a hairline crack in that circumstances.

That will not help me deciding on my next bike, I have other decision factors.smile.png

some bad luck there, and really you're going to spend more effort than its worth trying to get compensation

one things for sure they will weld that pan up for a few hundred baht and put it back on.

Trying, sending some e-mails, attached emails, is no effort for me. It is a necessity. thumbsup.gif

Regarding - "sure they will weld that pan up for a few hundred baht and put it back on."

Possibly, I will look at that, as I will be back soon. rolleyes.gif

Is the ground clearance of a FZ800 really that low? Notes to self: never buy a FZ800.

I am a heavy guy, possibly, it needs 2 "normal people" a man and a (Thai) woman to have the same impact.

wink.png

Come on man.

Yeah, the guy seems a little naive and gullible.

You do not rent vehicles, especially a big bike, especially in Thailand, without full insurance.

Now he's blaming the design of the bike. Everyone's fault but his own. rolleyes.gif

And as for the idea that not only are AOT to blame, but that they are going to pay......gigglem.gif

Honda Big Wing Phuket told me today - "You know, we have no insurance on that bike Honda CB 650 F"

Did also nothing sign or was advised from Ducati Phuket some days ago, about anything from insurance, before my test ride, maybe they have?.

I can live with a =NO=, but I cannot live to know, that I did not ask. tongue.png

A broken -oil pan- made from aluminium on a Yamaha FZ 09 makes me wiser, in that way,

as I know now, that FZ 09 have aluminium -oil pans- and that these brake easy, a -oil pan- made from steel would not have brought that problem, would not have got a hairline crack in that circumstances.

That will not help me deciding on my next bike, I have other decision factors.smile.png

That's not what I meant. I mean all this big bike renting man, you are clearly not a native English speaker and misunderstand my post and I am sometimes having difficulties understanding yours.

I am not surprised the oil pan is made of Alu, it saves weight. Many bikes don't have oil pans but only a bottom plug for draining the oil so a crack in one of them means a whole new engine block.

Well it would not made me not buying a 09 if I was on the market for one, just fit a engine guard under the engine and the oil pan will never be damaged in that way.

Come on man.

aot told me were to park , rental firm didn't tell me, yamaha makes faulty bikes. stop moaning, it is a drivers error.