Red light-running Bangkok bus driver loses license for 30 days (video)

webfact

Red Light-Running Bus Driver Loses License for 30 Days [+video]
By Khaosod English

14350637551435063911l.jpg
A screenshot of the video of a bus running through a red light at Khae Rai intersection in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Transportation authorities in Thailand have suspended the license of a bus driver who ran a red light at a busy intersection in Bangkok and nearly collided with two people riding a motorcycle.

A video of the incident, which was captured on a camera mounted on a motorcyclist's helmet, showed the 33 A.C. bus drive through a red light at Khae Rai intersection and almost plow over an adult and child on a motorcycle, who managed to stop in time to avoid the collision.

Following an uproar over the video on social media, the bus’s operator, Kittisunthorn Company, released a statement on its Facebook page explaining that the driver, who was not identified, had been fined 1,000 baht and suspended from working for three days. The driver had also been reprimanded for his action, "which could have led to a grave accident," the statement said.

Many commentators on social media criticized what they viewed as an insufficient punishment, and demanded a harsher penalty.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435063755&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-24

Even a short jaill sentence (days) would have been more suitable than 5000 baht and licence suspension. But unless forwarded to the cops it isn't a criminal matter (wrong imo)

Fair play to the DLT for manning up and doing something though, the initial punishment was an absolute embarrassment.

I used to take a bus 72 quite often and 8 out of 10 times he would run the red light at Ekamai right in front of the police box.

When I asked my Thai colleagues as to why the police didn't do anything, they would reply "No point. Bus drivers have no money to pay the "fine"."

Persons driving vehicles of that size have an added responsibility to drive safely. A 30 day suspension is at the low end for the infraction. Having said that, if the police suspended everyone that runs red lights, the streets would be deserted.

The Department identified the offending bus driver as Chaluia Kankhokkruat. He has now been barred from driving any vehicle for 30 days, and fined 5,000 baht for disregarding the Department's safety regulations, the statement said.

Kittisunthorn Company has also been fined 2,000 baht and given a formal warning after officials discovered that the bus was not equipped with a safety manual, as is required by regulations, according to the Department.

I used to take a bus 72 quite often and 8 out of 10 times he would run the red light at Ekamai right in front of the police box.

When I asked my Thai colleagues as to why the police didn't do anything, they would reply "No point. Bus drivers have no money to pay the "fine"."

I just refuse to believe that bus drivers and those who collect the fares have no money. Not Thai bashing here, but we all know about the corruption here in Thailand.

Look at the money that's being collected, how often do you see tickets being checked, IMHO the bus crews do very well indeed.

The headline says 'DL lost for 30 days' but the article says 'suspended from work for 3 days'. So are they both correct? If so, is he going to be driving a bus with a suspended license for 27 days? blink.png

Try reading the article itself.

Taxiing an aircraft around an airport is essentially the same as driving a bus. Road rules and protocols. but with around 5-8 times more passengers.

If a pilot ignored all the rules and behaved like that they would lose their license. Bus guy should be in prison as an example.

Kittisunthorn Company has also been fined 2,000 baht and given a formal warning after officials discovered that the bus was not equipped with a safety manual, as is required by regulations, according to the Department. cheesy.gif

Huge crime, no manual that nobody read.... TIT

Smoke and mirrors, lets get focus on something else.... .......

wai2.gif

i think thai people are tought to learn

(redbull?) RED MEANS GO

just went this morning out, at a pedestrian crossing, ... pressed the button... got red for the cars

well, about 20 passed it, till some cars started to stop

almost clipped by a damn motosay that could not wait

this is a dangerous place

Back when I lived in Dubai the ruler (Sheikh Mohammed) all of a sudden issued a decree that from the following Sunday any lorry driver that jumped a red light would get the truck impounded, be put in jail for a month and then be permanently deported from UAE. It worked out just fine, the number of traffic fatalities dropped to like half the original number.

But it would be a bit hard to deport a Thai citizen from Thailand :-) In UAE all low level workers were immigrants so it was easy there.

The article says the driver has had his license suspended for 30 days, and the company has

suspended for him from work for three days. The question is will he stop driving for the thirty

days or do what many do and keep driving. On another point, if he had hit and killed the

scooter riders, as long as he took responsibility and drugs/alcohol were not a factor, his

punishment would most likely be a 1,500 baht fine and a two year suspended sentence.

That is the most likely punishment from what I read most often in these articles.

Everyone gets of light here except drug offenders. blink.png

On a safety note every scooter rider knows that when the light turns green you have to wait

a further 5-7 seconds to account for red light runners. Rarely are there none. facepalm.gif

I had a similar situation one night crossing Surawong. The light was green for me to cross, but a bus came speeding past me. He ended up nearly hitting someone at the next intersection. Luckily for the pedestrians, his brakes were working and locked up nicely to make a loud skidding stop.

I'm really curious what causes the bus drivers to drive like maniacs here. Are they paid by the number of routes they complete each day rather than by the hour? You gotta look at both their incentives and punishments to change their behavior.

What? Cars do it ... and most certainly motorbikes do it literally at every intersection ... so what's the big deal? Running red lights? ... I see it every day ... EVERY DAY. AND cops are around! Thing is, a cop can't run as fast as a motorbike or car.

30 days! A bus driver with passenger lives at risk. He should be fined 100,000 and prohibited from ever driving a bus. You can bet this was not the first red light he has run, it's only the first time he has been caught.