Foremost milk and dairy

ezzra

I like foemost milk, it's the creamier and testier of the rest, however, I fail to understand, why, a European

company decided that their products will be devoid of any English descriptions of what the product is,

contain and other information?

All the writing are in Thai, not a word in English, this is 21st century, with 5 manufacturing plants

not even 1 email address that works... at time, one wonder how the local business here think,

it must be working, because they're still in business....

Foremost is European? I knew there is a USA Foremost Dairy cooperative with operations in several states and some elsewhere. It was formed in 1931 by J. C. Penny. Interesting.

I thought it is European but can't find the information easily...

It was indeed a US company and started in Thailand as the contract provider to US Forces during the VietNam War era. Recombined milk in local factories provided for the many Air Bases here in Thailand. The name became well known locally and believe Thailand rights were locally purchased to take advantage of that name and locally held company has continued to be a major player here.

It was indeed a US company and started in Thailand as the contract provider to US Forces during the VietNam War era. Recombined milk in local factories provided for the many Air Bases here in Thailand. The name became well known locally and believe Thailand rights were locally purchased to take advantage of that name and locally held company has continued to be a major player here.

I found what was misleading me: It belongs to FrieslandCampina in Thailand which is Dutch. So the Dutch company own that name in Thailand which is American....

I found what was misleading me: It belongs to FrieslandCampina in Thailand which is Dutch. So the Dutch company own that name in Thailand which is American....

Not unusual at all; a large Dutch company once owned Dunkin' Donuts...maybe still do. As far as Thai script being the only language on the container; well, this is Thailand and Thai is the local language.

How many languages are on dairy containers in your home country??

Not unusual at all; a large Dutch company once owned Dunkin' Donuts...maybe still do. As far as Thai script being the only language on the container; well, this is Thailand and Thai is the local language.

How many languages are on dairy containers in your home country??

It wasn't me who complained about the language.

If I complain I would rather complain that some companies but the fat/sugar, etc per serving size only, which is between ridiculous and fraud as the serving sizes are below the amount a rat would eat. Even a 45 kg Thai girl would eat the double amount.

I get Magnolia, now. I was at first put off by the name and supposed it was recombined milk like so many others...but it says fresh milk on the label, and it tastes like fresh milk.

Quite fond of a Hong Thong and milk last thing before going to bed.

Ah yes, Foremost Filled Milk...out at the firebases in Vietnam, it was kept cold in gasoline powered coolers, so it smelled and tasted like gasoline...didn't matter, we drank it anyway on the rare occasions when we were back at a base camp...

Foremost is European? I knew there is a USA Foremost Dairy cooperative with operations in several states and some elsewhere. It was formed in 1931 by J. C. Penny. Interesting.

what I know it belong to those Dutch fries guy,s they know everything beter

Ah yes, Foremost Filled Milk...out at the firebases in Vietnam, it was kept cold in gasoline powered coolers, so it smelled and tasted like gasoline...didn't matter, we drank it anyway on the rare occasions when we were back at a base camp...

Good God. Gasoline/petrol is the one thing that will absolutely contaminate everything. If you put petrol in a water jerrycan it's a petrol can for ever after that. Now that I think about, though, I'm not sure if diesel or kerosene would have been much better. Kerosene would have taken pressure off the supply chain.

I was quite shocked by the price of milk/dairy in Thailand. In Scotland we're awash with cheap milk, so half a gallon is forty baht. Powdered is 60 baht for 400g - nearly a gallon.

Foremost is made from milk powder, same as Dutch Mill.

I wouldn't drink it,

At least MeiJi and ChokChai are made from real milk, and not reconstituted from powder.

How you know it is made from milk powder?

milk powder milk is very low quality....it is common to add some milk from milk powder to regular milk as it is cheap.....

If you are sure that Foremost and Dutch is from Milk powder I'll switch to Meiji.

Having experimented, I've found that Meiji is by far the best option easily available for making latte and cappuccino - others just don't foam up / taste bad - powder could be why, though I never heard this before

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

The things you can learn on TV,

In 2002 I checked on importing powered milk for a Thai client.

He was going to ship it trough to Laos

The Import duty @ Thai port was 550% to safe guard the Thai dairy industry

If the container seal was not broken when it crossed into Laos no duty would be charge

in Thailand. this information was from the Australian milk board.

Im not sure about now.coffee1.gif

My wife showed me a study a while ago putting Foremost on top of other brands in Thailand, the closest from "real" milk, whatever that means. Unfortunatley I can't find this study anymore and like everybody else would be very interested to find comparative tests made by a reputable laboratory.

That said I agree with the OP, I too noticed a while ago that english language has disappeared from Foremost packaging. Actually it's not the only product where consumer information are now in Thai only. Why is that ? A change in labelling regulation ? A nationalistic push against foreign language pollution ? I don't know what it is but it is very annoying.

I wouldn't drink it,

At least MeiJi and ChokChai are made from real milk, and not reconstituted from powder.

milk powder milk is very low quality....it is common to add some milk from milk powder to regular milk as it is cheap.....

If you are sure that Foremost and Dutch is from Milk powder I'll switch to Meiji.

We know because we can't 'foam' it for our coffee at the local coffee shop.

MeiJi and ChokChai foams very well ....... we like our frothy coffees!

Having experimented, I've found that Meiji is by far the best option easily available for making latte and cappuccino - others just don't foam up / taste bad - powder could be why, though I never heard this before

Here we go, another frothy coffee lover!

I don't drink fancy coffee but I make my own yogurts. Foremost makes good yogurt. I need to make a new batch today, I'll try with Meiji and let you know how meiji fares on the yogurt test ;-)

I don't drink fancy coffee but I make my own yogurts. Foremost makes good yogurt. I need to make a new batch today, I'll try with Meiji and let you know how meiji fares on the yogurt test ;-)

There are no problems making yogurt from powdered (or reconstituted) milk or even UHT milk.

I wouldn't drink it,

We know because we can't 'foam' it for our coffee at the local coffee shop.

MeiJi and ChokChai foams very well ....... we like our frothy coffees!

OK, that doesn't mean anything.....

That could be caused by any other steps in the process....too much heat or too rough homogenizing.

The things you can learn on TV,

In 2002 I checked on importing powered milk for a Thai client.

He was going to ship it trough to Laos

The Import duty @ Thai port was 550% to safe guard the Thai dairy industry

If the container seal was not broken when it crossed into Laos no duty would be charge

in Thailand. this information was from the Australian milk board.

Im not sure about now.coffee1.gif

I just checked and it is strange: General rate 5%, some countries in free trade with 0, but others go over 200 % but low on other size containers.....