Customer not paying rent. What would you do?

invex

What would I do? Grab him and go through his pockets then throw him out physically with his belongings following him.

If you are not physically capable of doing that, pay someone else to do it.

Call that guy who looks after the health and welfare of the bar girls in Pattaya. Can't remember his name but I'm sure some here do. :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here people go again.....Credit reports, eviction process......once again fooling yourselves that you are in the West.

Call him yourself. find out whats up.

Get a Policeman to talk with him.

When he is gone put all his stuff on the street. change the locks and place the burden on him to use the corupt system in his favor over years.

What would I do? Grab him and go through his pockets then throw him out physically with his belongings following him.

If you are not physically capable of doing that, pay someone else to do it.

Call that guy who looks after the health and welfare of the bar girls in Pattaya. Can't remember his name but I'm sure some here do. smile.png

i don't speal russian !!

njet rossia !!

but ask yourself a) did you pay the rental taxes due B) did you file the proper form with immigration showing a property is being occupied by a foreigner c) will your actions as an agent, landlord, property manager, debt collector be construed as a violation of Labor Law?

If you are completely within the law, it is on your side. The fact that you actually claim to have an agent, who has been dealing with him beyond the lease signing, yet are seeking advice on rent collection from an anonymous internet forum, indicates you should also get a new agent, asap.

Here is a UK company that does international credit checks...http://www.tenantverify.co.uk/international-credit-checks.htm

Coincidence or OP's problem solved? This afternoon while swimming in my condo's pool I spotted a security officer and a BIB standing for at least 20 minutes on the balcony of a unit recently occupied by a tenant who might fit the description.

a lady I no who never paid here rent last week came back to apartment to find all here belongings outside her front door and she was only 2days late,

Now this is ****** ridiculous and wrong if true.

What kind of a **** of a landlord would just break into the apartment, remove the stuff all for being 2 days late without even paying them a courtesy call.

The kind you don't want anything to do with.

I can quite assure you it was true,and she had only been there 3 months,thai on thai,bit understandable as she was late the 2nd month,thai landladys don't mess about.

Usually rents are lower when long term, if that is the case then ask him to behave and pay the rent, if he doesn't then just go to the police and complain. Request police to take his passport so he can not leave the country. If you have to cancel the contract then ask him to pay normal rent without discount for long term. You must be careful with people like him, as he can really destroy your condo before he leave so take a copy of his passport etc for your security.

Talk to him yourself first .(there could be a reasonable explanation ).Also check what state the Condo is in ,while you are there .I f you need to get him out ,i would first cut off his services ,water and electric .He will be gone within a week and you can keep the deposit ,which you should have (2 months rent is normal ) .

Bangmai -- get real. I've never know anyone to ask for a credit report here in Thailand. That's why the norm here is to put down a couple months rent as a deposit.

But good point about the agent should also be the property manager and presumably a professional who knows what she's doing with an established procedure for this. Also, there should be language in the lease about what happens in the event of late payment. What does it say?

This tenant doesn't sound like someone who would be a good long-term prospect. The sooner the agent gets him to pay up or evict him, the better.

I agree with most of what you say; but the get real part is; that if a tenant begins contravening the terms of the rental agreement or ceases paying rent, then the only legal way to evict him/her/them is to go via the civil court system.

Some years ago a friend rented out his wife’s second house to a Thai family. After 7 months they ceased paying rent and had placed two pit bull dogs on the premises to stop anyone else entering the property. It took my friend 2 years and a truckload of cash to evict them through the Thai civil court.

Our Bangmai is also correct and I get his meaning. It makes sense to have a managing agent or a professional overseeing the tenants that have procedures for dealing with difficult tenants and it is wise to obtain some kinds of references regarding who is going to live in your property, which I guess is no easy task.

Personally, I would never go into the property renting business, neither in Thailand nor anywhere else. Not worth the hassle.

Update; long and sad.

Despite multiple reminders by my agent to pay the rent and despite leaving a request written by her unanswered that the owner wants to talk to him immediately, he still thinks he is the "Ubermensch*. He is right and all others are stupid, bad and incorrect. Shouting, yelling, insulting and threatening both the agent and owner all time. He got absolutely no support from other people witnessed this, even not from his own nationals.

His proposal for the JP / building manager to pay a part immediately to avoid eviction, the rest a day later, and to have a delay of one week for the next payment already (which is early next week), was refused by the owner due his really disgusting behavior. Police and security supervised his packing. He found his legal right was to call his Ambassador, so he could assist him in this case. He found also his legal right was to get a free lawyer from the Court to assist him. Police, agent, owner had no objection if he wanted to do this. What would he have told his Ambassador and lawyer? That he was almost a month late paying the rent, asking a late payment for next month already, refused to talk to the owner after emails he acknowledged he had read! That the German company he works for has to pay the rent despite the contract is in his own name? That he was thus working (I guess illegally)?

Even during packing he took his time and stayed on the internet coming out of the room a few times to tell the agent with a smile on his face how very bad things about her he posted on the internet again. His last words were that he would find the agent / owner later to do bad things to both of us.

Problem is he found another condo not so far away. Moreover, his terrible behavior is not that of a "normal and good person" one can trust and rely on. I am afraid it will not end here for him and as a result not for us as well.

Bangmai -- get real. I've never know anyone to ask for a credit report here in Thailand. That's why the norm here is to put down a couple months rent as a deposit.

But good point about the agent should also be the property manager and presumably a professional who knows what she's doing with an established procedure for this. Also, there should be language in the lease about what happens in the event of late payment. What does it say?

This tenant doesn't sound like someone who would be a good long-term prospect. The sooner the agent gets him to pay up or evict him, the better.

I agree with most of what you say; but the get real part is; that if a tenant begins contravening the terms of the rental agreement or ceases paying rent, then the only legal way to evict him/her/them is to go via the civil court system.

Some years ago a friend rented out his wife’s second house to a Thai family. After 7 months they ceased paying rent and had placed two pit bull dogs on the premises to stop anyone else entering the property. It took my friend 2 years and a truckload of cash to evict them through the Thai civil court.

Our Bangmai is also correct and I get his meaning. It makes sense to have a managing agent or a professional overseeing the tenants that have procedures for dealing with difficult tenants and it is wise to obtain some kinds of references regarding who is going to live in your property, which I guess is no easy task.

Personally, I would never go into the property renting business, neither in Thailand nor anywhere else. Not worth the hassle.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, with my 10 years property management experience,references can been meaningless,you never see a bad one.in fact some of the biggest problems I ever had were with tenants with excellent references.even a phone call to the provider of the reference is no guarantee its legitimate.

There is an element of luck also. I had tenants, who in 10 years, never gave me a moments worry. As for throwing their stuff out on the street that's just encouraging physical and/or legal retribution and a stupid course.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, with my 10 years property management experience,references can been meaningless,you never see a bad one.in fact some of the biggest problems I ever had were with tenants with excellent references.even a phone call to the provider of the reference is no guarantee its legitimate.

There is an element of luck also. I had tenants, who in 10 years, never gave me a moments worry. As for throwing their stuff out on the street that's just encouraging physical and/or legal retribution and a stupid course.

Hmmm he does sound like a nasty piece of work...pity we cant warn others about this character. As Beetlejuice said, its not a business that Id like to get involved in (Rental properties), although the GF does have a condo that she sometimes rents out.

Seems to me that this guy simply ran out of money and was making up any excuse to tie him over till he sourced extra funds by whatever means.

If you have witnesses to his threats then I would definitely advise and make a complaint with the police, that way should anything happen; then the Police have a history on record. Just my opinion for what its worth.

BIB will do it for some tea money. No uniforn worn of course

Its not as easy to get the police to do useful things for tea money with the heavy army oversight. My wife asked them for help with something last week and they wouldnt, on this account. Actually my MIL was trying to extort money from my wife, my money, with a machete, actually threw the machete at both of us. Seemed like agood talking to from a uniform would be indicated, so I offered them a grand, but they wouldnt. Geeze, if the police wont take tea money, what country is this? Haha

OP, you say "long term agreement". If the rental agreement is for a longer period of three years it must be duly registered at the Land Office to be valid, else the period will automatically be reduced to three years.

Good for the OP for not taking partial rent. That is one of the games they play. Hiring a "digital nomad" would be one thing; hiring one who is stringing together visas is another. Was he wearing black socks with sandals?

Good for the OP for not taking partial rent. That is one of the games they play. Hiring a "digital nomad" would be one thing; hiring one who is stringing together visas is another. Was he wearing black socks with sandals?

One would hope that between the OP and a presumably professional property management agent, they would have looked at more than just the photo I.D. page in renter's passport. If not, then perhaps the OP is getting what he deserves.

Often you can tell much about a person in looking at the visa history in their passport.

@ NancyL, really nothing better to post? I could comment on that but will not do.

Among other things, this is how he left the new sofa. He was the first tenant in a brand new very nice and expensive condo.

post-370-0-20121700-1435326801_thumb.jpg

post-370-0-39790700-1435326823_thumb.jpg

post-370-0-05534000-1435326844_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the damage and that's why you collected a security deposit when you rented the place....which, presumably, you kept to repair the damage.

It was not some accidental minor damage; among other damages.

he deliberately destroyed the 1 month old couch with a knife while packing his stuff.

Invex - I apologize for writing that "perhaps you got what you deserved" in not adequately inspecting the tenant's passport for visa history. That was too harsh.

But, it is a valid point that if you're going to be renting nice, new condos you should look for signs that a tenant is going to be stable. Someone with a history of staying in Thailand via back-to-back border runs, tourist visas, etc may not be the best candidate for your nice pretty new condo. An older woman with a retirement visa would be a much better candidate. Her cats couldn't even do that damage!

@NancyL: yes that was too harsh, absolutely NO reason to insult us both agent / owner like that. Not blame victims please. Apologies accepted.

Believe me, his passport was checked and all seemed to be OK. Copy of passport with lawyer now.

One cannot foresee the outcome if you deal with a wolf in shape skin. They are talented in hiding their real nature. One knows when it is too late.

I haven't rented my furnished house out as of yet but, among somewhat expensive furnishings, there are 2 large teak carvings built into wall. At the time that they were installed ( when the house was built), they were worth 120,000 baht. They can't be moved out of house. If a disgruntled tenant decided to take a hammer to either, two or three month's deposit wouldn't come close to covering their cost. If the house (teak) was burned down, I assume replacement insurance would cover that but I can't think of any insurance that would cover destruction done by a tenant.post-73197-0-29833900-1435537327_thumb.j

Beautiful. Something to check in advance with your insurance agent. And to get the response in writing. Are these carvings listed as a separate rider on your policy? We have a couple of household items of value that are specifically listed on our policy.

Archived