Where to buy small bees?

FireMedic

Never seen a small stingless bee in Thailand, yet you never mentioned why you want them? Please explain, and let us know... Have seen some pissed off bees in my life in North/east Thailand... One bad ass bee!, 1definitely do not want to piss them off! Mostly in the rice fields..... wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

You should bee very careful with this kind of thing, as there's swarms of shysters out there who'll try to hive you off a cheap imitation, and the inexperienced are easily stung...

If you want a small B shop theres one in Udon that I have given up----- Its a small bloody shop that never has anything I want--cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Never seen a small stingless bee in Thailand, yet you never mentioned why you want them? Please explain, and let us know... Have seen some pissed off bees in my life in North/east Thailand... One bad ass bee!, 1definitely do not want to piss them off! Mostly in the rice fields..... wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

If you have been here for any length of time, I've bet you seen them before, but dismissed them as something else....like I did. I already have one small hive going now in my yard that I bought from a Thai beekeeper in Samut Songkram. From what I understand, the eastern areas have a more diverse group, which is what I was looking for. I'm not a honey producer, just keep them for hobby and to take care of my flowers and fruit trees.

When I was young I was very allergic to bee stings. I suffered through injections every week for years. Now I have superhuman ability to resist bee venom. The X-Men have not called yet but I keep my phone close.

post-200208-0-78627400-1435397659_thumb.

If you have been here for any length of time, I've bet you seen them before, but dismissed them as something else....like I did. I already have one small hive going now in my yard that I bought from a Thai beekeeper in Samut Songkram. From what I understand, the eastern areas have a more diverse group, which is what I was looking for. I'm not a honey producer, just keep them for hobby and to take care of my flowers and fruit trees.

Are you talking about the very small bees which look about the same size as a fly, and can often be mistaken for one? They don't have any bright colourings as far as I remember and certainly don't look like any bee I have ever seen.........just curious (and do these little bees actually make honey?).

By the way, what a lovely hobby.....................

Had a lot to do with bees in Australia and the wild "fan shaped" nests here around Phitsanulok hang high up in trees, but the local lads are very quick to grab them and sell the honey. On internet you should be able to locate commercial beekeepers in Thailand and you could get a proper, easy to harvest, bee-house and better qualty bees, that are an essential part os any good garden.

The small stingless bees (look a bit like small house flies) build small nests in tree hollows. They produce only enough honey for the hive. Unless you are very miserly with robbing the honey, you will kill the hive. There are many varieties of solitary bees. You can find out if you have any around you by drilling many 5mm and 6mm holes into a 50mm thick plank of wood. Locate this under shelter in a bee friendly (lots of flowers)part of your garden. If it is not new wood, the solitary bees will make their very small "hive" in the holes. The more holes the better, they are not fussed about neighbours. Stingless bees and solitary bees are great pollinators. Cheers

The small stingless bees (look a bit like small house flies) build small nests in tree hollows. They produce only enough honey for the hive. Unless you are very miserly with robbing the honey, you will kill the hive. There are many varieties of solitary bees. You can find out if you have any around you by drilling many 5mm and 6mm holes into a 50mm thick plank of wood. Locate this under shelter in a bee friendly (lots of flowers)part of your garden. If it is not new wood, the solitary bees will make their very small "hive" in the holes. The more holes the better, they are not fussed about neighbours. Stingless bees and solitary bees are great pollinators. Cheers

Thank you. thumbsup.gif