Scotland could be hotter than Thailand this week as heatwave brings record temperatures

webfact

UK weather: Scotland could be hotter than Thailand this week as heatwave brings record temperatures
BY JONATHAN SYMCOX , ALISTAIR GRANT

The predicted temperatures are so high they are "off the scale" of computer forecast models - and could kill scores of people

LONDON: -- Experts fear scores of people could die in Scotland this week as an African heatwave sends temperatures soaring.

The predicted temperatures are so high they are "off the scale" of computer forecast models, according to experts.

The Met Office forecasts that hot air stemming from the African continent will send highs in southern Scotland rocketing from 19C on Monday to 24C the following day, with a 30% chance of 30C-plus temperatures and 10% chance of 32C on Wednesday.

Public Health England warns "many extra deaths" occur as a result of just two days of heatwave conditions.

Bookmakers Ladbrokes slashed odds on the country's all-time record temperature of 32.9C at Greycrook, Borders, on August 9, 2003 being broken from 4/1 to 2/1.

Scotland will be hotter than Zakynthos in Greece (28C) and could even better Phuket in Thailand (31C) before temperatures drop to the mid-20s on Thursday as thunderstorms threaten washouts.

Its hottest day of the year so far was 23.8C on June 11 at Aboyne, Aberdeenshire.

Met Office forecaster Marco Petagna said: "It's going to be very hot for Scotland. Dumfries and Galloway looks hottest - but areas like Glasgow will also be well above average."

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-scotland-could-hotter-5964291

-- MIrror 2015-06-29

I hope this heatwave does not affect the Haggis population, it is currently their breeding season, their eggs and young are very easily killed by higher than normal temperatures. They are already an endangered species and any further losses could be catastophic.

SAVE THE HAGGIS!

I hope this heatwave does not affect the Haggis population, it is currently their breeding season, their eggs and young are very easily killed by higher than normal temperatures. They are already an endangered species and any further losses could be catastophic.

SAVE THE HAGGIS!

This you gotta explain.

SAVE THE HAGGIS!

This you gotta explain.

Would take too long - One remedy would be to cancel this years Haggis hunting season

SAVE THE HAGGIS!

This you gotta explain.

More info regarding the elusive Haggis. http://www.electricscotland.com/haggis/haggis1.html

post-39016-14355422121494_thumb.jpg

SAVE THE HAGGIS!

This you gotta explain.

Would take too long - One remedy would be to cancel this years Haggis hunting season
Agreed but the potential loss in tourism revenue could be emormous. This would not only have an effect on the Haggis business, but (as I am sure you are aware, given your obvious in-depth knowledge on the subject), the whiskey industry, given the tradition of consuming a bottle, or 2, of the water of life, prior to a hunting trip.

I believe the Scottish government has told the electricity companies to turn on all their wind turbines to create a cool breeze and keep the haggises comfortable.

I have been told on good authority the plural of haggis is Hag aye - as in och aye

Eye wee canny scots i love em, there is no way a scot would get a native english teaching job in Thailand with that accent, but I am sure some have slipped thru. There was thsi french guy at my school I could understand much he said needless to say he did not last long

I believe the Scottish government has told the electricity companies to turn on all their wind turbines to create a cool breeze and keep the haggises comfortable.

The biggest threat is low humidity that tends to crack the eggs. Spraying with cool water is the only way.

SAVE THE HAGGIS!

This you gotta explain.

More info regarding the elusive Haggis. http://www.electricscotland.com/haggis/haggis1.html

Get <deleted>..

Eye wee canny scots i love em, there is no way a scot would get a native english teaching job in Thailand with that accent, but I am sure some have slipped thru. There was thsi french guy at my school I could understand much he said needless to say he did not last long

Is that right? Guess you've never been to Scotland and heard a Eastern accent then.

One of my daughter's teachers is from the East of Scotland. Much easier to understand than a Geordie or Cokney.

SAVE THE HAGGIS!

This you gotta explain.

Wild Haggis have shorter right legs than their left ones and can be seen walking round mountains, clockwise.

stupid british press we got this every year, when i lived there, "oh look bournemouth is hotter than the costas" so now we can come out and say "OH look, Thailand is hotter than Scotland 364 days of the year" yeah i know its boring. lol !!

SAVE THE HAGGIS!

This you gotta explain.

Agreed but the potential loss in tourism revenue could be emormous. This would not only have an effect on the Haggis business, but (as I am sure you are aware, given your obvious in-depth knowledge on the subject), the whiskey industry, given the tradition of consuming a bottle, or 2, of the water of life, prior to a hunting trip.

Of course, as expected, you've all failed to bring out the link to the 'Reds' and the Shin Corp Haggis Import/Export company.

Particularly detrimental was the Haggis Pledging Scheme and the import of millions of eggs to a quite unsuitable climate, in order to establish Haggis farms to pay for the unspeakable democracy capaign.

Thank heaven General Happyface has put a stop to this. Hopefully, if we have a good breeding season, this beautiful and elusive creature will soon come off the endangered species (as long as the Chinese don't get a taste for it, that is); otherwise it's back to eating Giant Panda and Tiger Penis soup for lunch.

stupid british press we got this every year, when i lived there, "oh look bournemouth is hotter than the costas" so now we can come out and say "OH look, Thailand is hotter than Scotland 364 days of the year" yeah i know its boring. lol !!

Where is Costas these days?..and David 48?

Where is Costas these days?..and David 48?

Enjoying a scorching-hot beach holiday in John O'Groats?

Is that right? Guess you've never been to Scotland and heard a Eastern accent then.

One of my daughter's teachers is from the East of Scotland. Much easier to understand than a Geordie or Cokney.

Steady on now, old chap:-)

I've just spent last week back in the home country visiting my folks. I had to check the calendar to make sure it really was June and not March. It was 10 degrees one day in Aberdeenshire when I went to my Bros place. Freezing cold and pi$$ing rain.

Have to say that the haggis were loving it. Ideal conditions. I only hope they can survive the next few days until normal service resumes.