Elderly German Biker seriously injured in Pattaya road crash

webfact

Elderly German Biker seriously injured in Pattaya road crash

german-31.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Monday Morning a 75 year old German was injured after he collided with another bike on the Sukhumvit Road in Central Pattaya.

Police and medics made their way to the scene of the crash and attended to Mr. Gunter who was lying on the ground and had an obvious head injury and cuts and bruises to his upper body.

Nearby was Khun Tawan aged 24, the driver of the other motorbike involved in the crash, who was uninjured. He told Police that he was travelling in the left hand and was on his way to Soi Kao Talo where he works.

He claimed that Mr. Gunter had just initiated a U-turn maneuver and had entered the Sattahip-bound carriageway and moved over urgently to the left land and struck Khun Tawan’s Motorbike.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/201772/elderly-german-biker-seriously-injured-in-pattaya-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-06-30

75 and riding a bike .....and where is the helmet....just can't educate idiots ....I am a motorcycle tech(retired to the land of scams)

have been a bike rider for a lifetime but I would not ride a bike on any major roads here ...and this guy is riding without a helmet or any protective clothing....

I find driving a car is an experience let alone riding a bike in the land of scams and I have renamed motorcycle riders here as TT riders (temporary Thai's)

I wonder when the general is going to make road rules mandatory for all road users

75 and riding a bike .....and where is the helmet....just can't educate idiots ....I am a motorcycle tech(retired to the land of scams)

have been a bike rider for a lifetime but I would not ride a bike on any major roads here ...and this guy is riding without a helmet or any protective clothing....

I find driving a car is an experience let alone riding a bike in the land of scams and I have renamed motorcycle riders here as TT riders (temporary Thai's)

I wonder when the general is going to make road rules mandatory for all road users

"Crucially Mr. Gunter was not wearing a safety helmet at the time of the crash which medics believe would have prevented the serious head injury Mr. Gunter sustained".

But he has one, with him, on the bikes bars, but obviously, like many you see on Thai roads, decided not to wear it!

Edited by BigBadGeordie

There appears to be a helmet there in the picture.

Perhaps taken off the guy.

As a retired "tech" would you like to explain the age one should stop riding motorbikes?

The helmet is with the bike, neither you or i know if he was wearing it and if it was removed after the accident.

You would not ride, so with NO experience of riding here, why do you think you are qualified to comment on people who do?

What protective clothing do you ride with here? Sorry, forget that you don't ride!

Wearing a helmet and full body protection does not and never will prevent accidents!

Just because you may notice some bad riding does not mean all people ride in a bad and unsafe way, maybe you are too blinkered while driving your car to actually take in all that goes on around you?

The rules are there already, sure a lot of people don't follow them, do you? Do you know the rules here?

And just because the Thai man said the German man was wrong, it does not necessarily mean he was. Anyone who has lived here a long time knows that.

Edited by chrissables

As a retired "tech" would you like to explain the age one should stop riding motorbikes?

The helmet is with the bike, neither you or i know if he was wearing it and if it was removed after the accident.

You would not ride, so with NO experience of riding here, why do you think you are qualified to comment on people who do?

What protective clothing do you ride with here? Sorry, forget that you don't ride!

Wearing a helmet and full body protection does not and never will prevent accidents!

Just because you may notice some bad riding does not mean all people ride in a bad and unsafe way, maybe you are too blinkered while driving your car to actually take in all that goes on around you?

The rules are there already, sure a lot of people don't follow them, do you? Do you know the rules here?

And just because the Thai man said the German man was wrong, it does not necessarily mean he was. Anyone who has lived here a long time knows that.

Actually it says clearly in the article that he wasn't wearing a helmet and that he sustained head injuries because of that.

As many have said...."A picture paints a thousand words"....how true and so sad in this instance, even though it does sound as if he may have been in the wrong.. ....I have been driving over here 14 years now (pick-up and motorbike), and had one accident a few years back, the other person was in the wrong and had no papers what-so-ever, licence, insurance, or wearing a helmet. She was on a motorbike and I in the pick-up. She came off the bike after I hit her and landed in the middle island on the Sukhumvit. Rd. It put the heart cross ways in me as I was well aware of the "status" of Farang drivers over here. I remember thinking at the time before I got to her.....what if she has died ..what if she is seriously injured....how many lives can be changed in a split second. Thankfully she was OK and all was resolved. The event left a lasting sort of fear of being behind the wheel again over here when the odds are stacked so much against us on the roads. Because I love driving around Thailand on holidays etc., I carried on driving up until the present time but installed a dash cam and a cam in the rear.....but never felt the same again.

I'm 66 now and very recently got this over whelming urge to quit the driving here (get out while on top), I am an absolute believer in listening to my "inner teacher".... my intuition .....(I made so many mistakes in my younger days by not listening to it) that I have already put my pick-up on the market, I will continue on my motorbike. I will continue my holidaying around Thailand but will let somebody else do the driving, or fly.

This pic. has reinforced my decision, not because a man had an accident....but to see how he is regarded by the other people in the picture ...I would safely say because he is a Westerner.

Thank you for the opportunity of letting me put my thoughts on paper and for reading it.

I refute the argument that its "always the falang" in the wrong ,when i had an accident turning left and a bike tried to undertake me ,i was not held to blame at all (except by the girls mother on the phone who tried to get money) i told her no ,when her brother turned up saw what had happened he blamed her straight away, she and her friend were only bruised and scratched .

Hmmmmm let me think, road safety or lottery ticket pricing Hmmmmm......

TING TONG FARANG!!!

You not Thai you not understand!!!

Was the Thai man riding on the wrong side of the road, or did he turn his bike round to face the opposite way after the crash for some reason?

Maybe I missed something as no one else has commented on this so far.

Was the Thai man riding on the wrong side of the road, or did he turn his bike round to face the opposite way after the crash for some reason?

as i read it.. and I could be wrong as, the Thai was driving on the right side of the road, German made an u turn and moved towards the left lane where bikes should be and in doing so collided with the Thai man who was going the same way but was already on the road.

if this is the case its quite possible that the foreigner was guilty.

75 and riding a motorbike in Thailand ...... whistling.gif

If he was 75 and still mountain climbing would you have a problem with that? I hope I am still able to ride a motorbike when I am 75.

I hope I am still able to ride a motorbike when I am 75.

well he obviously isn't .................

Edited by steven100

A picture worth a thousand words indeed.

The photo screams a total lack of empathy from the 2 thais

For having been here 15+ years, this is what would most probably happen to you if you were involved in a similar situation.

(in case the other driver does not flee the scene...)

If there was no cameras in the area i think the German biker can only hope to heal quickly. In Thailand the Thais word is better than yours. Not even a comment about checking for videos. Same old same old!

That Picture say a lot : 3 thais looking like airheads instead of helping the poor guy on the gound. I dont care if he is german, 75 years old (probably not so since we all know thais and numbers ...), wearing helmet or not (look like a green/White helmet on the gound) - of course they dont help him since he is farang - sad but true ...crying.gif

The amazing thing about the pic is that 2 thais out of 3 are wearing helmet - thats a per cent you dont see every day ... crazy.gif

BTW I dont believe the thai that blame the old guy saying its his fault - farang will get the blame since thats law here sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

It looks to me as if he (the Thai) was on the wrong side of the road, but blame the "farang"!

I am 71 and still riding bikes in Thailand. I do ride on the main roads and I do take care.

I ALWAYS wear a helmet even when going to my mates place 200 metres down the road but I live in rural Thailand where there is not so much traffic.