NACC gets 2,500 complaints over officials in Isaan

Lite Beer

NACC gets 2,500 complaints over officials in Isaan
Natthapat Phromkaew
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE NATIONAL Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) has received nearly 2,500 complaints against state officials in the Northeast, including a provincial governor and a judge.

The judge and governor were accused of claiming prizes from lucky draws despite not being the winners during their tenure in Udon Thani province between 2006 and 2007.

"We will speedily investigate the complaints against them," NACC member Vicha Mahakun said yesterday.

He said the NACC had already set up a committee to check complaints about alleged wrongdoings by Udon Thani-based state officials.

"There are 41 complaints in Udon Thani," Vicha said.

There were several complaints involving senior officials from Udon Thani. In addition to those against the judge and the governor, the NACC has also received complaints against former Nam Som district chief Metha Siripaiwong, who is accused of violating laws in relation to bidding on government projects.

Surapon Sukprasert, former head of Khai Prachak Silapakhom School in Udon Thani, was also accused of issuing fake certificates for teachers' academic work during his tenure.

"Just as we began investigating the case, a senior education official in the area allegedly contacted Surapon saying a huge sum of cash would help pull him out of trouble. So, we decided to investigate that official too," he said.

The NACC had already completed its investigation into 417 of the 2,492 complaints related to the Northeast.

"We will try to speed up the investigation into remaining cases," he said.

Most related to bribery, embezzlement, dereliction of duty, abuse of authority and offences related to procurement and bidding on projects.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/NACC-gets-2500-complaints-over-officials-in-Isaan-30263702.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-04

Certainly hope the dodgy dealings within the Udon Thani Immigration office are being looked at!

Care to give a few examples? as I'll be up that way soon.

Not so long ago there was a falang working in the Samui Imm office and charging everyone an extra 20 baht for their visa, and the payment is taken at the submission of your paperwork Not at completion so any that don't want to pay the extra money then there is a problem with your visa, And yeah I know it's only an extra 20 baht, it's not the money but the principle and that they have a fanlang taking the [extorted] payments.

BTW anyone know the fine[if any] for missing a 90 report?

This puts the NACC and their like-minded political friends in a quandary.

Govt. officials are typically in their political camp.

They find it useful to maximize the anti-politician campaign to the max. in order to deflect stuff away from their own.

Many believe that most Govt. corruption occurs where the 'rubber hits the road"...Not exclusively at the political levels, as the anti-democrats self-servingly would have you believe. Many blindly follow that reasoning, not realizing the ideology behind it.

But Govt. officials are their constituency.....So I question the NACC's ardour in pursuing their own. I expect that wherever they can find the most tenuous of links to those on the pro-democracy side of the political divide, they will highlight that. Or all else failing, fabricate it.

One already sees the first steps in that direction....Focussing on "...complaints over officials in Isaan" as the headline indicates. Normally, unbiased initiatives of this nature would not differentiate between Govt. Officials by location.

Is this another double standard thing in the works?......I think so.

That said, all the power to them......Focusing on Govt. officials instead of Politicians is a small step forward I guess.

Edited by Bannum opinions

Unbelievable - corruption in N/E Thailand, not the corruption mind you the limited number of complaints.

Apart from the wide scale corruption at every level,the cases cited include a couple of judges being accused of rigging the lottery prizes and some dodgy teaching quals.

Lets avoid any commentary on the undeserving student quals being issued and focus on the key point in this story.

The NACC want to speed up investigations into the other cases of corruption.

These being bribery, embezzlement, dereliction of duty and building contract graft.

Issues seemingly much more serious than a lottery scam and some dodgy teaching certificates.

Its an interesting approach.

Edited by Manbing

They find it useful to maximize the anti-politician campaign to the max. in order to deflect stuff away from their own.

Many believe that most Govt. corruption occurs where the 'rubber hits the road"...Not exclusively at the political levels, as the anti-democrats self-servingly would have you believe. Many blindly follow that reasoning, not realizing the ideology behind it.

But Govt. officials are their constituency.....So I question the NACC's ardour in pursuing their own. I expect that wherever they can find the most tenuous of links to those on the pro-democracy side of the political divide, they will highlight that. Or all else failing, fabricate it.

One already sees the first steps in that direction....Focussing on "...complaints over officials in Isaan" as the headline indicates. Normally, unbiased initiatives of this nature would not differentiate between Govt. Officials by location.

That said, all the power to them......Focusing on Govt. officials instead of Politicians is a small step forward I guess.

try Lomotil.

Certainly hope the dodgy dealings within the Udon Thani Immigration office are being looked at!

Not so long ago there was a falang working in the Samui Imm office and charging everyone an extra 20 baht for their visa, and the payment is taken at the submission of your paperwork Not at completion so any that don't want to pay the extra money then there is a problem with your visa, And yeah I know it's only an extra 20 baht, it's not the money but the principle and that they have a fanlang taking the [extorted] payments.

fine for missing 90 day, if I remember right it is max. 5000 Baht. A few days ago I saw a lot people paying 2000-4000 Baht.

First of all, I must say this is much more like it...2500 corrupt politicians is much closer to the truth than the 100 submitted to Prayut a while back.

However, if it will take them 5 years to interview the 200 witnesses to migrant trafficking, how will they "speedily" investigate these complaints? They must have had an efficiency expert come in and clean house.

try Lomotil.

LOL

and being charged 8000 Baht+ for changing the name from my mia to myself. Seems ridiculous to me. Anybody?

and being charged 8000 Baht+ for changing the name from my mia to myself. Seems ridiculous to me. Anybody?

I meant to say putting my car in my name, sorry.

beatdeadhorse.gif 2500 complaints against officials in the Northeast, 41 are based in Udon Thani, What is happening about the other 2459 cases and where else in the Northeast. Is Surin, Sisaket etc included in these figures? Where are these figures published and what is the progress of these investigations. My cynicism of this whole process just increases with every new announcement by the NACC.

beatdeadhorse.gif 2500 complaints against officials in the Northeast, 41 are based in Udon Thani, What is happening about the other 2459 cases and where else in the Northeast. Is Surin, Sisaket etc included in these figures? Where are these figures published and what is the progress of these investigations. My cynicism of this whole process just increases with every new announcement by the NACC.

Absolutely!

We should demand that NACC cases be treated as 'real life' TV.

Most related to bribery, embezzlement, dereliction of duty, abuse of authority and offences related to procurement and bidding on projects.

This is just more Thai bashing...by old disgruntled fat Thais...

They should go back to their own countries if they are unhappy with corruption here...Oh...that's right...they are in their own country...humm...wai2.gif

So all of a sudden they get 2500 complaints or they have been sitting on 2500 complaints for a a couple of years?

or something in between? Complaints having come in over the last months what with people seeing they are able to comment on officials without getting shot (too much)?

or maybe infiltration of 'agent provocateurs' took a while, but now in place with a properly documented

background they can act against the NorthEast 'Thai Rak Thai' social fabric?

Anyway with 471 investigations out of 2492 to do already completed, it would seem the complaints have been coming in over a longer period already. Like you I didn't get any notification about this, not even when they got the first complaint neither when they concluded the first investigation. Really appalling, isn't it?

This article begs more questions:

1) Why is it focused only on cases in Isaan? What about all the other regions? Are we supposed to believe Isaan is unusually corrupt just by inference?

2) 2500 cases in what period of time? How many cases have been dismissed or closed for lack of evidence?

3) Why are names announced publicly when investigating complaints? Does the NACC routinely attempt to create prejudice? Is the NACC exempt from libel?

I am no friend of corruption. I would love to see Thailand climb out of the morass of corruption in which it has wallowed for decades (if no t centuries). The NACC is supposed to be that independent investigative body that helps eliminate corruption. How can the NACC do this if they are so selective and haphazard in their communication? I am not saying the investigational details should be made public. I am saying the NACC should regularly report on the overall efforts: A monthly report, broken down by region: number of new cases, number of cases referred for prosecution; number of cases closed for lack of evidenced; number of prosecutions resulting in conviction or acquittal.

It is asking a lot (well, not really, they would need to hire someone who could manage a spreadsheet). But how else would you know if NACC is effective or not?

Now maybe I should examine my assumptions. Maybe it's not about effectiveness or eliminating corruption. coffee1.gif

So all of a sudden they get 2500 complaints or they have been sitting on 2500 complaints for a a couple of years?

or something in between? Complaints having come in over the last months what with people seeing they are able to comment on officials without getting shot (too much)?

or maybe infiltration of 'agent provocateurs' took a while, but now in place with a properly documented

background they can act against the NorthEast 'Thai Rak Thai' social fabric?

Anyway with 471 investigations out of 2492 to do already completed, it would seem the complaints have been coming in over a longer period already. Like you I didn't get any notification about this, not even when they got the first complaint neither when they concluded the first investigation. Really appalling, isn't it?

Well it just smacks that they were sitting on it all and then someone has forced the issue.

2500. That is 10 per working day per year. Or 1 per working day for 10 years.

I.e. they have done sweet fa with these complaints for a very long time.

Here are two threads amongst a few more:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/791587-immigration-udon-big-changes/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787170-retirement-extn-under-consideration-new-hoops/

I am shocked and amazed they are digging out every complaint ever lodged against a red since the dawn of time, but letting lie all the complaints filed against the PDRC as recently as last month.

Actually I'm not shocked. And nothing this unconstitutional government does amazes me in the least....

Insert yawn here.

This article begs more questions:

1) Why is it focused only on cases in Isaan? What about all the other regions? Are we supposed to believe Isaan is unusually corrupt just by inference?

2) 2500 cases in what period of time? How many cases have been dismissed or closed for lack of evidence?

3) Why are names announced publicly when investigating complaints? Does the NACC routinely attempt to create prejudice? Is the NACC exempt from libel?

I am no friend of corruption. I would love to see Thailand climb out of the morass of corruption in which it has wallowed for decades (if no t centuries). The NACC is supposed to be that independent investigative body that helps eliminate corruption. How can the NACC do this if they are so selective and haphazard in their communication? I am not saying the investigational details should be made public. I am saying the NACC should regularly report on the overall efforts: A monthly report, broken down by region: number of new cases, number of cases referred for prosecution; number of cases closed for lack of evidenced; number of prosecutions resulting in conviction or acquittal.

It is asking a lot (well, not really, they would need to hire someone who could manage a spreadsheet). But how else would you know if NACC is effective or not?

Now maybe I should examine my assumptions. Maybe it's not about effectiveness or eliminating corruption. coffee1.gif

Absolutely. We, TVF posters have a right to know, or one of our esteemed members, fgmr, wrote

"2500 complaints against officials in the Northeast, 41 are based in Udon Thani, What is happening about the other 2459 cases and where else in the Northeast. Is Surin, Sisaket etc included in these figures? Where are these figures published and what is the progress of these investigations. My cynicism of this whole process just increases with every new announcement by the NACC."

I would propose we bring that wonderful American invention to Thailand, "reality TV", although at times I'm wondering if the Muppet Lab would be more appropriate.

I am shocked and amazed they are digging out every complaint ever lodged against a red since the dawn of time, but letting lie all the complaints filed against the PDRC as recently as last month.

Actually I'm not shocked. And nothing this unconstitutional government does amazes me in the least....

Insert yawn here.

Please excuse me, but where did it say 'they' are digging up complaints against 'red' ?

Insert yawn here.

YAWN!!!!