Thai Cabinet hikes drug-related rewards, compensation rates

webfact

Cabinet hikes drug-related rewards, compensation rates
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrang
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday hiked the reward for drug-busting officials from Bt200 to Bt360, and the compensation for an official killed or seriously injured on duty to Bt300,000 from Bt200,000.

The Cabinet yesterday hiked the reward for drug-busting officials from Bt200 to Bt360, and the compensation for an official killed or seriously injured on duty to Bt300,000 from Bt200,000.

Government deputy spokesman Pol Major Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the Cabinet had approved the PM's Office proposal on rewarding drug-busters. The reward will be paid once the suspects are indicted or they go into rehabilitation, compared to the previous practice in which the reward was paid only if the suspect was indicted.

As for compensation to state officials injured on duty, Sansern said that those who lose an organ will get Bt200,000 instead of the old rate of Bt100,000, while those who sustain an injury that requires hospitalisation for more than 20 days would get Bt60,000 instead of Bt40,000. Those who are injured but do not need to be hospitalised will get Bt10,000 instead of nothing.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Cabinet-hikes-drug-related-rewards-compensation-ra-30263997.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-08

300,000 baht compensation if officials are killed in the line of duty. Didn't the previous government pay many millions of baht to the families of demonstrators who were killed? It seems that the two sides put a very different value on a human life.

The range of 200bht - 360bht still seems fairly low for shopping colleagues over drug misuse.

Perhaps its more of a numbers game?

I envisage the situation working thusly:

• Go to a conference with colleagues
  • Drop some Ya-ba in the punch
  • Call the cops

Reap larger rewards for a group bust?

100 people is equivalent to a months pay right?

Of course i might be mistaken in reading the story as it was written, rather than perhaps another meaning that the writer was unable to convey due to a lack of communication skills.

Edited by Manbing

"The Cabinet yesterday hiked the reward for drug-busting officials from Bt200 to Bt360"

This only increases the incentive for the BIB to plant drugs on innocents.

Assuming the drugs themselves have some value and may not be recovered, that incentive is HUGE!

The range of 200bht - 360bht still seems fairly low for shopping colleagues over drug misuse.

Perhaps its more of a numbers game?

I envisage the situation working thusly:

• Go to a conference with colleagues
  • Drop some Ya-ba in the punch
  • Call the cops

Reap larger rewards for a group bust?

100 people is equivalent to a months pay right?

While your math is impeccable, the fly in the ointment is that if one person in the 100 is well connected, you could end up in jail for 30 years. Glad I don't work with you though.

300,000 baht compensation if officials are killed in the line of duty. Didn't the previous government pay many millions of baht to the families of demonstrators who were killed? It seems that the two sides put a very different value on a human life.

Yes they paid 7 million per dead redshirt. This is because the red shirts died to further Thaksin's personal ambitions, they were unofficial officials purchased for their propensity toward violence and lack of critical thinking abilities, paid terrorists in other words.

Yes, but you have to wonder how Yingluk came up with a figure of B7.5 million, or B100,000+ for every year of their life from birth to life expectancy. Apparently their is a court asking the same question.

And the prisons in which to place all these people which will be the source of such bonus payments. Since we know traffickers get killed and the mr bigs dont often appear, the legions of users will continue to over crowd Thai prisons. When is Thailand going to make itself unattractive to the drug cartels by removing the custodial penalties for low level offenses. Would cause the bottom to fall out of the market rather quickly, and all the police can then focus on the traffickers. And tighten up the border.

Doesn't matter how superficially I am injured, I am going to the hospital and I am going to

be admitted. Even if it was only my feelings that were hurt. BTW that will also be for a

minimum of 20 days. tongue.png