First big bike - is this a good deal ?

Hi Guys

Looking to add a little excitement to my life and I saw this on Facebook

Cb650f black and yellow year 2014
Only 2,xxx Km on the clock. All document included, Service Manual, Greenbook.

Has been dropped once on the leftside. Slight graze barely noticable.

Mods
- full system exhaust
- aftermarket clutch and break levers (gold colored)
-Handle bar knob by rzm (gold)
- Drop Guards
- aftermarket turn signals
- scratch guard on tank
- Anti slip pads

Price for this Bumblebee
Only 255,000 Baht

I love how it looks and the price includes 1 year 1st class insurance, tax and delievery. Is it a good deal and would be okay to ride as my first big bike

Cheers

JAF

post-20736-0-94222500-1437063971_thumb.j

post-20736-0-26952000-1437063988_thumb.j

post-20736-0-06317100-1437064010_thumb.j

post-20736-0-97888600-1437064029_thumb.j

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any experience riding any sort of motorbike? If not then 650cc might be a bit too much. If you have scooter experience then it might be OK, but I'd recommend practicing with something like 250/300cc first.

Price for this one is a bit steep imho. 30k off, about 10%, from new price for a one year old bike that had been dropped. It's just through break-in period and for the longest part of its life was parked somewhere.

Check also if you get the stock exhaust from him or if he threw it away.

In my opinion aftermarket parts like these usually don't add the the value of a second hand bike. Some expensive Ohlins suspension yes but not these bits.

I'd rather go for a brand new one but that's me. If second hand, I've seen some CB650F going for less than 240k.

I have had some experience of riding bikes (I have a Kawasaki KSR) but nothing big like this tbh which does scare me a little hence my posting. Also thought the asking price was relatively high but was hoping that the aftermarket parts would have added some value to the bike along with the insurance and tax paid. I have held off committing to the deal so I could take some advice from people like yourself and learn more about the market so I appreciate your input and sound advice.

Maybe I will try renegotiating a deal. What do you think would be a fair price ?

JAF

Nice bike. Those mods are all Thai made I believe. Including the exhaust (it's not a real SC project from Italy...fairly sure because I know guys who have the same) Exhaust is around 6,000 THB plus the other mods will be max 10,000 THB. Insurance might not be valid for long anymore. If you can buy it for 240,000 you will have a good deal. Then you can ride it for 2 years and sell it for 190,000.

Ask the seller if the original exhaust is included, in Pattaya they will stop you and and you can expect to pay 1000 bath for noisy exhaust.

The turn signals are very very small, can only be seen when it's dark but maybe led's that gives stronger light so maybe okay.

Nice looking bike but as mentioned a bit too expensive, general rule is that they drop app 20% in value the first year and you don't pay extra for add on's but okay the Honda's 650 are popular so maybe 15% drop but not less than that.

A bit too powerful for a beginner as mentioned, a 300/500cc would be better to start on, but if you can control yourself and take it easy until you gain experience not impossible powerful for a beginner.

If he mentioned financing then walk away. It's not your problem that he bought a bike on financing which makes it much more expensive and then didn't even drive it.

Smells like someone who can't plan ahead and that's never a good sign.

As mentioned before the CB650F are really popular and you will have no problem finding a second hand one with a good deal.

In general stay clear of bikes who had crashed, are on financing, have no green book in the current owners name etc.

Then upon purchase, give him the cash at the DLT the moment the ownership transfer is cleared.

I have had some experience of riding bikes (I have a Kawasaki KSR) but nothing big like this tbh which does scare me a little hence my posting. Also thought the asking price was relatively high but was hoping that the aftermarket parts would have added some value to the bike along with the insurance and tax paid. I have held off committing to the deal so I could take some advice from people like yourself and learn more about the market so I appreciate your input and sound advice.

Maybe I will try renegotiating a deal. What do you think would be a fair price ?

JAF

I wouldn't go straight up to a 650, get a 300 first, a Ninja or Z, nicer bikes than the CBR/CB.

Not that the CB650F will give you any real nasty surprises, it is a tamer big bike, but it might be a little too much if you are just used to riding a KSR

CB300f should still be around 130k new and 5k for 3 years full insurance? After 6 months on one, you probably wouldn't think twice about getting something more powerful, but its a great bike for the money. Not sure how much the 500's are though, as the Honda shops near me only sell 300's and under.

CB300f should still be around 130k new and 5k for 3 years full insurance? After 6 months on one, you probably wouldn't think twice about getting something more powerful, but its a great bike for the money. Not sure how much the 500's are though, as the Honda shops near me only sell 300's and under.

I thought they were more expensive and was considering paying 105,000 for a 2nd hand model with 5000 km on it. For the sake of another 25,000 I might as well buy it new. Is there anything else worth considering at that price?

JAF

CB300 is the best bike for the buck if you just want to get used to it. Like another poster said you will tire of it quickly but it is a truly necessary step if you want to learn safely. Honestly, but a used one and avoid the depreciation as you will want to upgrade. Save your money for something REALLY cool!

I do like the look of the cb 300f and I think for the extra 25,000 I will enjoy it more knowing the bike and its history is mine. Amusements also said that I can pay 5000 bht for 3 years full insurance. I will just have to wait until Monday to go and look at the local dealers

JAF

I went to the local dealers today and checked out the Honda CB300 F which was bigger and nicer than I thought it would be. Seat was a little hard though but maybe thats because I tend to sit in a padded chair most of the day going nowhere. I asked for the price and they said it was 131,000 which didnt seem so bad. But right next too it was the CBR 300 with the Repsol fairing and that was priced at 136,900. To my eyes, it seemed that the better deal is the CR300 because you get the sports fairing, twin headlightsl and coloured wheels albeit I think I would go for the red, white and blue model at that price.

JAF

I did not ask about the price of the red/white model because my thai is passable but their english was very poor. I was just dipping my toe in the water and wanted to come back and talk on the forum instead. RRP of the cb300 f is 130,000, they wanted 1000 baht more and 1,900 bht more than the RRP for the Repsol. If the red/white model is cheaper I think I might just go for that instead as it just looks better imo.

JAF

The biggest difference for you on a day to day basis between CBR300R and CB300F will be the lean angle. The CBR300R has actually quite some lean. Much more than my CBR500R (14 vs 20 degree). The CB300F has 9 degree. That's for my size. For many people the lean is not an issue but for some it gets tiring on the wrists after some time especially with a pillion resting on your back :)

Since you'll most likely upgrade later on lusting for more power, you could try the CBR and see how you like the lean because many really sporty bikes have even more lean and you don't want to buy one without knowing what you'll get into.

When I sat on the two bikes I did not notice much in the difference to be honest but that might be down to the fact that I am 183 cm with long monkey arms. Both felt comfortable but the test is in the riding I suppose.

I am also looking at the Yamaha R3 which I had previously overlooked. It seems that it has considerably more power and better tires but I cannot seem to find a new price to compare it with. The only price I have seen is 163,000 bht. Is it still the same price today.

Sorry for all the questions and queries, hard to get my head around which bike will be the best buy for me

JAF

I went and checked the Yamaha R3 today and was impressed with it a lot. The seating was comfortable and the overall design was impressive but the price tag of 189,000 was a lot more than expected. Also seen the R 15 which looked great in the new blue racing colours but my neck started hurting almost straight away because of the lower angled bars and the higher seat. The price was 88,000 which is a lot cheaper and gets me wondering why for another 170 cc the R3 is more than twice the price of the R15. Really torn as to which way to go

Decisions decisions decisions

JAF

Well the R3 got a completely different engine. Two vs one cylinder... plus probably a few higher spec components here and there like brakes etc.

Surprised you found the R15 so uncomfy but not the CBR300R. I think they should be about the same in terms of lean/wrist pressure.

Archived