Pension rapidly going down

biplanebluey

There are a number of Oz / NZ business people and government members rubbing their hands together over their dropping $ and are keenly looking forward to a rate at or below 70 US cents. bah.gif

I'm not convinced it is a good thing as, like other TV members, I have a vested interest in the exchange rates due to 'Thai ties'. To top that off, manufacturing of essential goods has ceased in my home country so the cost of living/retiring is increasing no matter where I find myself later on. ....This year I'd better plant some more fruit trees and build a couple more frog ponds to offset my losses.thumbsup.gif

If manufacturing has ceased in your home country it's because the prices for local goods are higher than for imports from China and elsewhere. So, the replacement of local products with imports has undoubtedly lowered the cost of living/retiring there, not raised it. That situation may or may not be good for the economy as a whole, but is definitely better for consumers.

A weaker home currency is better for the home country if they have an export industry, but worse for expats.

Archived