Thailand to boost average height with better school meals

Lite Beer

It shouldn't require switching to a "foreign" diet. The nutrients are here, but too many people simply make poor choices. When I sit down to eat with my family, most of them take an enormous plate of rice but just a few tiny bits of meat or fish, and perhaps one or two small pieces of carrot or other veggie. They load up with the cheapest possible calories.

If cheap calories is all you can afford, it's not really a choice.

Edit: I'm hoping that's what the government is addressing here for the kids...

Edited by impulse

That's the point - veggies are unbelievably cheap here. Back in the states a head of lettuce can be $3, here it's around 15-20 baht. I just bought a bag full of big, beefsteak tomatoes for 40 baht that would cost $5-6 in the states. There's no good reason for schools here not to make salad bars available in their cafeterias.

Schools make students stand in line for fingernail inspection as they enter. Why? For the students' own good, I guess. Ditto with all the other things they're forced to do. But when it comes to food, no rules whatsoever. Why? Surely some healthy choices in the cafeteria would be beneficial. Why isn't it done?

When I first started working there and suggested to one of the cafeteria vendors that they should offer those bagged salads you can get on the street, he said those are for sick people. When I asked him what he meant by sick people, he clarified that as people who were unhealthy and fat, and therefore couldn't eat "normal" thai food.

Edited by Phoebee

That's the point - veggies are unbelievably cheap here. Back in the states a head of lettuce can be $3, here it's around 15-20 baht. I just bought a bag full of big, beefsteak tomatoes for 40 baht that would cost $5-6 in the states. There's no good reason for schools here not to make salad bars available in their cafeterias.

We're really in agreement here. But I also look at the number of hours a Thai has to work to buy that head of lettuce, or those tomatoes, compared to an American. It's not that cheap if you look at hours/kg or hours/calorie.

On an aside, I don't buy lettuce in Thailand. I make my salads with cabbage. Much better value...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

A government program to feed malnourished children at public schools is closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

What Thailand needs is a way to funnel government funds directly into the hands of the poor so that they can afford to feed, clothe and educate themselves and their children - what was the purpose of the rice scheme again?

I think its a scientific fact that Asians are smaller than Caucasians because the Asian diet is based on rice and vegetables while the Caucasian diet is based on hunter gather/meat/dairy products? Certainly in the northern hemisphere with severe winters food would be hunted animals/livestock supplemented by foods saved from summer harvests?

Are they trying to create "The Master Race" ... ? Ups, forgot the average IQ is 100 but good luck with trying to get there - got a long long long way to go .... Could start by firing all these useless teachers in thai schools thumbsup.gif

I don't think the problem relies only on teachers. It's the system at fault. The curriculum and the quality of books are a pure joke in most schools. The teachers don't have the right materials to offer a quality education. The problem is much deeper than just blaming the teachers.

A government program to feed malnourished children at public schools is closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

What Thailand needs is a way to funnel government funds directly into the hands of the poor so that they can afford to feed, clothe and educate themselves and their children - what was the purpose of the rice scheme again?

Though I have tremendous respect for someone who can raise a family on 300-500 baht per day, I'm not too keen on the idea of handing them "government funds".

I'd be 100% behind improving the kids' lunches, free breakfasts, and funding their books, supplies and uniforms. But cash? I doubt much would improve for the kids.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

In Chiang Mai, schools have been passing out big boxes of free milk. But many Thai kids may just feed their dogs and cats with that milk, since they prefer junk sugary drinks over real milk.

By Western standards, Thais are still incredibly short. From my personal observations of people in Chiang Mai markets, most Thai women are in the 140-160 cm range, while most Thai men are in the 160-170 cm range. People in shopping malls and in middle-class Bangkok areas will be taller than that. Many middle-aged and older Thai women are about as tall as 10-12 year old Western schoolgirls.

But I don't think their short stature is all due to poor nurture. Thais and all of their Southeast Asian neighbors seem to have short genes. Thai guys top out at about 180 cm when nourished properly, but Dutch guys will top out at 190-195 cm.

Short height is also an adaptation to the hot tropical climate and history of rationed food portions in agricultural societies with limited resources. Smaller bodies mean lower metabolic rates and more heat tolerance. Bigger bodies mean more calories needed just to keep yourself alive while sleeping, and much less tolerance to hot weather. I know because I'm a tall guy who has to eat twice as much as the average Thai person simply to prevent myself from starving, and sweat more than Thais even after years of living here.

On 7/17/2015 at 10:20 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Funny you should mention that but I took a 12 year old girl from a Thai village, who was skinny and short.

After feeding her plenty of meat and milk for four years, she is incredibly tall for a Thai, western height.

I don't know if the food was responsible for her being first in her class for the last two years.

But it's very strange!

Probably just a coincidence.

After WW2 the Japanese had had an increase, in height, due to a better diet, introduced by western forces... most asian countries, contrary to popular belief, actually have poor diets, not enough protein, far too much carbs (rice), however, I do not believe a school "diet" will help, except to line someones pocket.

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Asians tend to look terrible when they are tall. Just long extended backs with short squaty legs. Can they also add some foods to make their legs grow longer instead of their backs? Maybe eat whatever Africans eat?? 

Better nutrition may help. But as long as you have a no fail education system you will overflow with under achievers

• Like 1

On 7/18/2015 at 1:54 PM, Toknarok said:

Many Thais (as with all Asians) are lactose intolerant. They simply don't like milk. it makes them feel bloated and uncomfortable. Therefore many kids just won't drink the milk supplied free in primary schools. Until this year my daughter was at primary and every day she would bring home undrunk milk. This I would consume for breakfast.

Agree. Suggesting milk is rather funny actually. It is a good indicator of how old most of us farang are on the forum. Milk is entirely unnecessary after infancy and actually rather unhealthy with its fats and cholesterol and usually growth hormones. 

Plus, who wants to drink milk in this hot and humid unforgiving weather? Not me. Not them. Milk is definitely NOT the solution 

On 7/19/2015 at 6:45 PM, MaiChai said:

I think its a scientific fact that Asians are smaller than Caucasians because the Asian diet is based on rice and vegetables while the Caucasian diet is based on hunter gather/meat/dairy products? Certainly in the northern hemisphere with severe winters food would be hunted animals/livestock supplemented by foods saved from summer harvests?

That's why planning is in our genes. Plan for the winter during the summer. 

No real difference here winter/summer so never needed to plan anything as there is always something growing you can pick and eat.

Edited by overherebc

On 7/18/2015 at 8:05 AM, willyumiii said:

Unfortunately, they have also boosted the average circumference of students as well.

By making western junk food, like chips ( crisps ) Pepsi and Coke, readily available to students at school, obesity has become a big problem with young Thai people.

Not only is the junk food sold at schools, it is given to the students as awards and prizes at school functions!

When I first came to Thailand about 15 years ago, it was rare to see an overweight Thai person.

Now, it is a common sight.

Sorry, but this is not true. Thais and many other Asians have been fat for a long time before western diet was available. What you couldn't see 15 years ago is that they were what is called skinny fat. They have lots of fat around their internal organs, very little muscle but small bodies overall. 

Just because Thais are smaller than farang doesn't mean they are not fat. Of course, they are not obese like many of our countries. 

Also, have you noticed that Thais don't eat much "western" junk food? They have their own junk. 

The reason there are more obviously fat Thais now is a product of the national average earnings increasing. The same happened in China. More money to buy more food. Also, sugar in everything. EVERYTHING! Even soup 

On 7/17/2015 at 9:20 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Funny you should mention that but I took a 12 year old girl from a Thai village, who was skinny and short.

After feeding her plenty of meat and milk for four years, she is incredibly tall for a Thai, western height.

I don't know if the food was responsible for her being first in her class for the last two years.

But it's very strange!

Probably just a coincidence.

Coincidence, meat and milk nah! 

On the IQ issue: there is a lot of research linking iodine intake with IQ. Insufficient iodine reduces IQ. I read somewhere (a WHO report as I recall) that there is concern that rural folk in Thailand do not consume enough iodine because they use "home made" salt. Relatively small, and cheap, changes in diet can have dramatic effects over time. Research and good science should obviously be at the forefront of the government's endeavor. If proper research indicates iodine insufficiency as a probable contributor to decreased IQ then this could be solved through thoughtful public policy such as an iodized salt subsidy, for example.

There are probably bona fide reasons why Thai people are not taller and do not score well in IQ tests. I'd like to suggest that the government try to understand the reasons first, rather than making public pronouncements about "we want this and we want that". Government decrees are no match for good science.

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Plus, who wants to drink milk in this hot and humid unforgiving weather? Not me. Not them. Milk is definitely NOT the solution 

I think this thread is sponsored by the Milk marketing board? as most of the "milk is good' propaganda is! little more than Colored water with added sugar, any goodness it may have had long been killed off, great for calves though - as intended ????