Borwornsak says the Thai charter draft is satisfactory

webfact

Borwornsak says the charter draft is satisfactory
KHANITTHA THEPPHAJORN,
OLAN LERTRUDTANADUMRONGKUL
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE charter draft is satisfactory but it is not perfect, the chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee said yesterday.

"There is no 100 per cent perfect charter," said Borwornsak Uwanno. "This one is not a dream charter. If it were the dream charter, I would have put so many [more] things in it.''

If the National Reform Council rejects the charter draft, a new CDC would have to be formed, but Borwornsak said he would want to have nothing to do with it.

"Don't think of me again. I'm making my getaway. I will go home and sleep,'' he said.

Regarding the provision in the draft to ban people sentenced for corruption or malfeasance or convicted of electoral fraud and banned from politics for life, Borwornsak said although the charter drafters did not want this clause in the draft, they were obligated to implement it because Article 35 (4) of the interim charter stipulated the new constitution must have a mechanism to prevent those people from holding political office.

He said the CDC last week had finalised all unresolved issues in the draft except on matters relating to reconciliation and provisional clauses.

The CDC would meet tomorrow to decide on whether to extend its work for 30 days as amendments to the interim charter stipulated. He said he did not consider how he would explain the contents of the charter to the public because he was not confident the NRC would approve the document.

He said if the NRC accepted the charter draft, a detailed public relations plan would be formulated to sell it to the public.

CDC member Dr Choochai Supawongse said he was confident the NRC would approve the charter draft.

"Having worked with the NRC, I think they feel they also co-own or participated in the drafting process,'' he said.

Choochai believes the public will also accept it. "The charter draft features the essence that will bring the country hope and civilisation,'' he said.

CDC member Kanchanarat Leevirojana said: "The major issue for this one is to bring about peace and move the country forward. The charter is not a miracle that can resolve crises and bring back peace in the blink of an eye. It is a way that leads the country to peace and prosperity."

Meanwhile, CDC spokesman General Lertrat Rattanawanit said organisations whose representatives were on the 12-member committee to select the 123 senators would not be able to field senatorial candidates.

He said the committee members would come from the agricultural, labour, academic, educational, community and local sectors.

Wirat Kalayasiri, chief of the Democrat Party's legal team, voiced his concerns about lifting an MP's right to immunity in parliamentary sessions under the draft charter, saying it might result in MPs being charged too easily.

"A parliamentary member can be wrongly charged by his or her opponents, and that could affect votes in Parliament as he or she would be taken away while on duty. So, I'd rather have immunity for the MPs and the senators maintained during parliamentary sessions," Wirat said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Borwornsak-says-the-charter-draft-is-satisfactory-30264787.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-20

So long as the military remains free to overthrow governments, abolish constitutions and create its own set of laws with immunity, it matters little how perfect any charter need be.

This charter is like giving a patient a complete blood transfusion to save his life while cutting off the paitent's arms and legs. That is the same kind of respect the military has shown towards Thai rights and liberties. There is nothing in the charter that will change the military's "extra-constitutionality" over the Thai people's sovereignty.