Aussies take note !

Treasury has no way to control the $AUD ...... if it could it would have pushed it lower a long time ago.

The $AUD is controlled by international export commodity prices ... it's as simple as that, if china has to pay more for iron ore and coal then the $AUD would go up, as commodity prices slump and contracts get lower and lower from china then the dollar will follow ....

Also, on another note ... Australia needs to cut interest rates further if it wants to avert tinkering on borderline recession. I say this because with the dollar at .72 US and unemployment is much higher than indicated ... I believe it's unemployment rate is somewhere around 8-9% .. there are thousands of young & older people looking for work in every country town and city.

Very few mining and gas pipeline projects are ongoing at this time and many industries are laying off staff. The government needs to open up new industries in Tasmania, Victoria, NSW and other states, it needs to look into the future and not just the next few months.

It needs to create jobs for the average joe ... the unskilled ... it needs to build super highways and employ thousands as labourers, it needs to start new industries like timber, cultivate land for markets, build factories to employ thousands, build new bridges, employ new painters to restore buildings .... I believe the government is not doing enough to get people off benefits.

It needs to create jobs for the average joe The government doesn't need to do anything re jobs except make it easier for PRIVATE enterprise to make jobs. The government uses taxpayer money to make jobs.

... the unskilled need to get off their buts and learn some skills. The days of unskilled people making junk for good wages are long gone

... it needs to build super highways and employ thousands as labourers, who is going to pay? Do you want higher taxes?

it needs to start new industries like timber, cultivate land for markets, build factories to employ thousands, selling what to who? China and Asia make things far cheaper than Oz could

build new bridges, employ new painters to restore buildings .... paid by whom?

I believe the government is not doing enough to get people off benefits. That's true. Unfortunately, once people get a benefit it is impossible to stop it poltically.

The RBA again yesterday at it's meeting failed to understand the truth on how the real Australian economy is fairing by leaving interest rates unchanged.

Unemployment is ticking up ... probably now around 10%

Cost of living is rising .... monthly

Cost of Rental is increasing in capital cities.

Everyday there are reports of workers being layed off. Why are there no jobs being created by the government ????

The RBA indicated that it was more satisfied with the $AUD vs $US at this time ...... ( That day it kicked back up to .74 c )

With high job losses, increased unemployement ... rising food costs, general household expenses going up .... transport costs increasing ... Australia is headed for a very touch time over the next 1-5 years in my opinion.

They may avert a recession, but it will surely feel like it's the twin brother ....

Can you share the site that talks to unemployment rate of 10% and no new jobs being created? Very different to other news reports e.g...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-06/job-creation-on-the-rise-experts-predict/6675770

It all comes back to the fact there are too many people in western countries for the available work. Spin all you like but that won't change as long as people are paid to breed. We don't need large families to support us in our old age anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

The RBA again yesterday at it's meeting failed to understand the truth on how the real Australian economy is fairing by leaving interest rates unchanged.

Everyday there are reports of workers being layed off. Why are there no jobs being created by the government ????

The RBA indicated that it was more satisfied with the $AUD vs $US at this time ...... ( That day it kicked back up to .74 c )

With high job losses, increased unemployement ... rising food costs, general household expenses going up .... transport costs increasing ... Australia is headed for a very touch time over the next 1-5 years in my opinion.

They may avert a recession, but it will surely feel like it's the twin brother ....

Can you share the site that talks to unemployment rate of 10% and no new jobs being created? Very different to other news reports e.g...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-06/job-creation-on-the-rise-experts-predict/6675770

Work in the building industry then you will feel it, on top of that previous government moved lot of unemployed onto sickness benefits back around 2012 to make unemployment figures look better, ho they don't count part times looking for LTW or unemployed spouses....economy has been ummm getting sicker since the GST building boom, it's been slowly but surly descending.

50 to 100,000 people to join new start next few years thanks to them killing the car industry in this country...

Government plays the numbers game very well just like my accountant does to keep my tax down, they trump the new jobs created but don't mention the ones we loose, if your retired or have or do work in government or a secure job you really are cocooned from all of this try living the life of a contractor or business owner you soon learn it's either feast or famine.

Work in the building industry then you will feel it, on top of that previous government moved lot of unemployed onto sickness benefits back around 2012 to make unemployment figures look better, ho they don't count part times looking for LTW or unemployed spouses....economy has been ummm getting sicker since the GST building boom, it's been slowly but surly descending.

50 to 100,000 people to join new start next few years thanks to them killing the car industry in this country...

Government plays the numbers game very well just like my accountant does to keep my tax down, they trump the new jobs created but don't mention the ones we loose, if your retired or have or do work in government or a secure job you really are cocooned from all of this try living the life of a contractor or business owner you soon learn it's either feast or famine.

agree, and now I don't give a rats ass about the current government or Australia.... they just announced acceptance for 12,000 Syrian refugees, absolutely ludicrous ... who's going to pay for that ? hospital, medical, school, transport, housing and welfare for 12,000 foreign illegal immigrants !!

Tax hikes are in the midst ..... GST up, personal income tax up, price of goods & services will go up for sure !!

I did like the current gov' because of there crackdown on people smugglers and stopping the boats ....... but now ' no guts Tony ' has rolled over and it is all wrong based on Australia's current economic climate.

It is absurd that the gov take care of refugees from 1,000s of klms away because some lunatic nutcase gov' Assad regime want to bomb and force his own to leave, how is that your or my fault ?? but we will have to foot the bill for the next 10 yrs or more.

Australia = recession in 2016 / 2017

agree, and now I don't give a rats ass about the current government or Australia.... they just announced acceptance for 12,000 Syrian refugees, absolutely ludicrous ... who's going to pay for that ? hospital, medical, school, transport, housing and welfare for 12,000 foreign illegal immigrants !!

Tax hikes are in the midst ..... GST up, personal income tax up, price of goods & services will go up for sure !!

I did like the current gov' because of there crackdown on people smugglers and stopping the boats ....... but now ' no guts Tony ' has rolled over and it is all wrong based on Australia's current economic climate.

It is absurd that the gov take care of refugees from 1,000s of klms away because some lunatic nutcase gov' Assad regime want to bomb and force his own to leave, how is that your or my fault ?? but we will have to foot the bill for the next 10 yrs or more.

Australia = recession in 2016 / 2017

You wanna settle down, good times here come with immigration, adding bodies to the national count means housing which means jobs for Aussies, building is the largest employer you know and in that I mean it's just not a building to live in but furniture carpets etc etc, the kids need to go to school pop will buy a car etc etc.

To much scare monging by politicians for easy points which you look like your fallen for, you really want to start thinking about issues and not just parrot what you read in news paper or on the 6 o'clock news.

One of the main reasons were had so much press on boat people is to divert attention away from economic performance as well as a few unpopular innovations like carbon credits, as for Assad he didn't start anything and I'm actually with the Russians on this....he needs to stay, it's our friends the Americans who want him out, if your really upset about boat people go to the White House with your placard, the yanks have been hell bent on destabilising the Middle East under both Bush administrations Obama poor guy first black president gets lumbered with 2 wars and a global financial crisis courtesy of the Republican Party.

I see that an increase of the GST is being considered despit Abbotts promise pre election that there would be no increase. Despite it's political unpopularity I think its a foregone conclusion, wouldn't be surprised if it was 5% or more. That would make Australia one of the most expensive countries in the World to live.

Do your research first before you post nonsense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax#Tax_rates

I see that an increase of the GST is being considered despit Abbotts promise pre election that there would be no increase. Despite it's political unpopularity I think its a foregone conclusion, wouldn't be surprised if it was 5% or more. That would make Australia one of the most expensive countries in the World to live.

Don't be so sure .... 12,000 illegal immigrants just announced = increase GST ... you can bet on that !!!

Don't be so sure .... 12,000 illegal immigrants just announced = increase GST ... you can bet on that !!!

Grrrrrr even if it goes up it is still lower then most countries in the world

You trying to tell me Germany will increase the GST to 50 % because it agrees to take in 800.000 refugees ?

Interesting how federal labour jumped up and down for a day or 2, state labour governments said no way then about 2 weeks later everyone goes quite....couple of months down the track guess who wants a GSTRaise?

The GST and future raises go directly to state governments, it's coming always was surprised it took so long, so no lib bashing please it's the working mans party who wants it.

Grrrrrr even if it goes up it is still lower then most countries in the world

You trying to tell me Germany will increase the GST to 50 % because it agrees to take in 800.000 refugees ?

How many people in Germany, how many in Oz? Makes a difference.

Germany makes stuff people want to buy, Oz just sells lots of dirt to China, but now not so much.

Germany can take 800,000 illegal economic refugees, Oz can't take 12,000. As usual politicians bend over and take the shaft if they think it makes them popular.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Nonsense to link a one off additional refugee intake to a GST increase. BTW they are not illegal immigrants, all will be assessed by UNHCR at refugee camps, with security reviews & final acceptance criteria by Oz government. The vast majority will be minorities such as Christians, not Sunni or Shiites. For the first four years budgeted cost of AUD700 million for resettlement services. Current cost for Operation Okra (fight against Daesh) in Iraq & Syria is about AUD650 million for the next two years. In comparison total Oz government revenue income is around AUD400 billion

Edited by simple1