NCPO tells Suthep to steer clear of politics

webfact

NCPO tells Suthep to steer clear of politics
The Nation

30265414-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Suthep Thaugsuban, the former leader of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), will be banned from speaking to the press if he intends to discuss politics, said Chatchalerm Chalermsuk, the deputy secretary-general of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

Suthep, who finished his stint in the monkshood Tuesday in Surat Thani, is planning to speak to the media about his future plans. The political veteran had for months led anti-government protests against the Yingluck government that led to a military coup in May last year.

Chatchalerm said he would send officials to monitor Suthep's press conference. Suthep has not asked the NCPO for permission to hold a press conference so he is not allowed to speak about politics, he insisted.

Suthep would be held to the same standards as everyone else, even the red shirts, whose members were asked to refrain from staging political activities for the sake of national reconciliation, peace and order, he said.

Chatchalerm said the NCPO had clearly ordered that anyone wanting to hold any activities that may be deemed political must seek permission. The PDRC had not sought permission.

"If the group is not sure, it can submit details of the press conference. But if the group is confident the subject is not political in nature, there is no need to seek permission,'' he said.

Col Winthai Suvari, the NCPO spokesman, said that he had learned from the press that Suthep planned to give a "constructive" press conference about the work of the Great Mass of People’s Foundation for Thailand’s Reforms and about future of the country. He said agency would have to wait its field officials to report what exactly the press conference is about.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/NCPO-tells-Suthep-to-steer-clear-of-politics-30265414.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-28

I suspect that this threat is all for show. Why is Suthep coming out of his self-imposed "retirement"? I can only think that his friend the PM is worried about the way his popularity is going and needs some help from a friend.

I suspect that this threat is all for show. Why is Suthep coming out of his self-imposed "retirement"? I can only think that his friend the PM is worried about the way his popularity is going and needs some help from a friend.

I would liken that's friendship akin to the story about the scorpion and the frog, Suthep being the scorpion!

They need him to maintain the illusion of a neutral Junta which must stay in power in order to prevent chaos: i.e. seizing a few guns and accusing pro-democracy students to be manipulated on the one hand, and Suthep making a little fuss on the other hand.

POLITICS
Suthep leaves monkhood, vows to never seek amnesty

THE NATION

30265449-01_big.jpg?1438122382369

NCPO warns former PDRC leader to steer clear of politics at press conference

BANGKOK: -- SUTHEP THAUGSUBAN, the former leader of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), said after leaving the monkhood yesterday that he would not seek amnesty for himself.

He said he was fighting various charges ranging from treason to terrorism and he could be sentenced to death or face life imprisonment, if found guilty.

"I will not plead for amnesty for myself or for those who commit grave criminal offences, especially lese majeste because it is a crime against national security,'' he said.

Suthep said he had spoken to Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Monday during a group ordination at a temple in Surat Thani, but the discussion was nothing special. "Abhisit never persuaded me to return to the party because he and other Democrats understand me well as we worked together for a long time. After I quit the party, everyone knows that I will not return to the party again,'' he said.

Meanwhile, General Chatchalerm Chalermsuk, deputy secretary-general of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), said yesterday that Suthep would be banned from speaking to the press if he intends to discuss politics. Suthep, who finished his stint as a monk yesterday, is planning to speak to the media tomorrow.

The political veteran had led anti-government protests for several months against the Yingluck Shinawatra government that led to a military coup in May last year.

Chatchalerm said he would send officials to monitor Suthep's press conference. Suthep has not asked the NCPO for permission to hold a press conference so he is not allowed to speak about politics, he said.

Suthep would be held to the same standards as everyone else, even the red shirts, whose members were asked to refrain from staging political activities for the sake of national reconciliation, peace and order, he said. Chatchalerm said the NCPO had clearly ordered that anyone wanting to hold any activities that may be deemed political must seek permission. The PDRC had not sought permission.

"If the group is not sure, it can submit details of the press conference. But if the group is confident the subject is not political in nature, there is no need to seek permission,'' he said.

NCPO spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari said that he had learned from the pressthat Suthep planned to give a "constructive" press conference about the work of the Great Mass of People's Foundation for Thailand's Reforms and about the future of the country. He said the agency would have to await a report from its field officials to know what the press conference is about.

PDRC spokesman Akanat Promphan said the NCPO had sent officials to talk to his group about the planned press conference, adding that the PDRC told the officials that the foundation would not create conditions that lead to conflicts or associate with politics or have political motivation such as boosting political popularity.

Meanwhile, National Reform Council (NRC) member Alongkorn Ponlaboot welcomed Suthep's move to check the work of the NRC, as he had pushed for national reform in six areas when he led the anti-government protests.

Alongkorn said he would present members of the public with the reform master plan and blue print, which covers all reform aspects.

"The public has to accept that reform must be carried out continuously as an on-going process and the new government must take over the reform plans for implementation. The PDRC should use logic instead of emotion in its expectation that the six national reforms must be swiftly implemented,'' Alongkorn said.

The NRC has mapped out 37 reform issues and six major aspects: corruption, election fraud, political corruption, economic and social disparity, national divide, loss of the country's competitive advantage, low quality of education, and human resources.

Seree Suwanpanont, chief of the NRC's panel on legal and justice reform, admitted that the NRC had failed in its duty due to the time constraints, but he welcomed the PDRC to check its work. He cited a lack of coordination and public participation, especially from the political sector, as a major cause for the NRC's failure.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Suthep-leaves-monkhood-vows-to-never-seek-amnesty-30265449.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-29

junta vs suthep - the junta doesn't really trust any politicians...

the junta surely doesn't want him to open his (big) mouth again like he did while taking a victory lap last year

That incident could have been what pushed him into the Wat.

Besides, Suthep himself worked so hard to make politicians and the political process, as most of us understand it, irrelevant in Thailand... surely he doesn't give a rat's behind about going "back" into politics...

junta vs suthep - the junta doesn't really trust any politicians...

the junta surely doesn't want him to open his (big) mouth again like he did while taking a victory lap last year

That incident could have been what pushed him into the Wat.

Besides, Suthep himself worked so hard to make politicians and the political process, as most of us understand it, irrelevant in Thailand... surely he doesn't give a rat's behind about going "back" into politics...

he's not going "back" anywhere as he never "left"

all a sham

Suthep is a thai Rasputin for the middle classes

Oh my. blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

That is quite the premise for a Thai soap opera and filled with some tawdry sexual intrigue. Rasputin was known for his multiple escapades with women and the large wart on his penis. I just can't see Suthep as a philandering sex machine.

All 25 of them earning 100k per year as employees. This middle class nonsense.

Are you saying there are only 25 people who qualify as "middle class" in Thailand ?

Herr Suthep will be fielding his ideas about reform, while praising his Foundations efforts to reform the country, obviously after having had numerous meetings that violated the juntas ban on political gatherings.of course, those were just the devout visiting the temple in groups of twenty..... Also, his Foundation is certain to become a political party, once the voter's counts have been gerrymandered, diluted and neutralized.

He has been promised an important seat, I am very certain, either appointed to the senate, overseeing the "ethics" of political candidates (especially anyone he doesn't like), or somehow otherwise continuing to be the fascist Nazi he always was.

"I will never seek amnesty. I will never need to seek amnesty. No charges will be prosecuted, no punishments administered, nor any sanctions taken against me. Face it, I'm a Hero - Buddha (you just haven't figured it out yet). I will, however, be looking at my new upcoming appointed Senate office later this week.

If he was ever going to be arrested then he would be in a jail cell already. Him and Aphisit will be rail roaded into power AGAIN and just be the lackeys of the military. You an guess at what will happen next.

The so called 'educated' elite sure have a hard time learning from recent mistakes.

Herr Suthep will be fielding his ideas about reform, while praising his Foundations efforts to reform the country, obviously after having had numerous meetings that violated the juntas ban on political gatherings.of course, those were just the devout visiting the temple in groups of twenty..... Also, his Foundation is certain to become a political party, once the voter's counts have been gerrymandered, diluted and neutralized.

He has been promised an important seat, I am very certain, either appointed to the senate, overseeing the "ethics" of political candidates (especially anyone he doesn't like), or somehow otherwise continuing to be the fascist Nazi he always was.

Quote "He said he was fighting various charges ranging from treason to terrorism and he could be sentenced to death or face life imprisonment, if found guilty." I almost peed my pants laughing at this one. A people's martyr. This guy is full of bravado. Its one of those "the enemy is at the gates" speeches. He would not accept amnesty? I think the above poster is right he is in line for a cushy job somewhere. The man is so into himself that forming a political party at the opportune time is all he will settle for. His ego would only permit this. His name still has some brand appeal at the higher levels here.. I am sure during his time in the Wat he received an epiphany to go forward and roil the masses. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by elgordo38

Are you saying there are only 25 people who qualify as "middle class" in Thailand ?

By a western measure, yes, very few. The notiion of the middle class in Thaialnd has been created to give them someone to look down on and for the govt to pat itself on the back and fool the populous. 30,000 baht a month doesn't make someone middle class. Thailand has at least 30 years to go before the middle class takes on a size and wealth that makes it significant. There are the uber rich, a tiny amount of wealthy, those barely above daily wage and the rest in Thailand. 1%, 5%, 40% and 64%. I would say middle class should start at a household income of 100k per month.

In reality, they have been fooled into looking down their noses at the very poorest to make themselves feel better.

His paymasters will want him to shut his mouth about who actually funded his campaign.

I wouldn't be surprised if he disappears forever!

But he is, one of the "Paymasters" as you put it, so who is going to disappear him?

By a western measure, yes, very few. The notiion of the middle class in Thaialnd has been created to give them someone to look down on and for the govt to pat itself on the back and fool the populous. 30,000 baht a month doesn't make someone middle class. Thailand has at least 30 years to go before the middle class takes on a size and wealth that makes it significant. There are the uber rich, a tiny amount of wealthy, those barely above daily wage and the rest in Thailand. 1%, 5%, 40% and 64%. I would say middle class should start at a household income of 100k per month.

In reality, they have been fooled into looking down their noses at the very poorest to make themselves feel better.

Just got to say that I think Thai at Hearts last post hit the nail right on the head about class here...

Just got to say that I think Thai at Hearts last post hit the nail right on the head about class here...

Oh really ? I would like to know where he got his figures from. Any idea ?

His paymasters will want him to shut his mouth about who actually funded his campaign.

I wouldn't be surprised if he disappears forever!

But he is, one of the "Paymasters" as you put it, so who is going to disappear him?

No, Suthep isn't at the top of the tree, he's getting up there but the really powerful ones don't get their hands dirty.