new ford ranger 2015

curtt

hi, Im looking to buy a new pick up , and was last week at the Isuzu dealer to see the dmax highlander 2,5 auto trans, looks very nice , but now this week I see the new ford ranger 2,2 auto trans , it looks great to , I like the ranger more than the Isuzu , but heard and read so many complaints about gearbox , trans problems with the ranger and also the very poor afterservice at the ford dealer , so im confused what to buy best .

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't driven a Ranger until last week, 2.2L only 6 months old...the ride was awful, bounced around all over the place. Both my Isuzis befor, one blew up and the other was smoking after only 70K....neither are my choice

I have driven both the 2.2L and 3.2L Rangers ... both brand new ... in the last few months. I really liked them.

I have a 3 year old V-Cross and the ride is much softer. The Rangers felt much more sure footed though. The 2.2L has a quicker response to the throttle.

You will wait for the 'facelift' or go fot the heavily discounted 'old model'.

Edited by JAS21

Yes the new Ranger's looks cool, had a look inside a WT2.2 and the center screen is huge compared to ours and I can see it got much more air-bags now as well.

BUT I don't know what you can use it for, sat Nav? I uses Garmin for sat Nav, heard that sat Nav's supplied with cars/truck sucks and are costly to update but only from what I read on-line, no hand-on experiences in that regard so don't take that to the bank.

Yes the new Ranger's looks cool, had a look inside a WT2.2 and the center screen is huge compared to ours and I can see it got much more air-bags now as well.

BUT I don't know what you can use it for, sat Nav? I uses Garmin for sat Nav, heard that sat Nav's supplied with cars/truck sucks and are costly to update but only from what I read on-line, no hand-on experiences in that regard so don't take that to the bank.

My V-Cross (D-Max if you don't know) system appears, to me, to be pretty much the same as Garmin. I have even run my 'stand alone' Garmin at the same time as the unit in my truck. I receive exactly the same map/voice/instructions ... the unit in my truck talks to me a couple of seconds before my stand alone unit.

The big difference is that the unit in the truck cannot download any of my saved POIs which is vey annoying as the unit has wiped them out twice! Map update costs about 1000thb.

Here is a pic showing a Ranger screen ... http://autoverdenews.blogspot.com/2014/10/ford-ranger-2015-more-technology-with.html but don't know if it applies to the latest Ranger ... Here is what you see on the Ford site ... http://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/ranger/specifications/spec-data.

The New Ford Everest does not have GPS

Just saw this review:

http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/ford/2015-ford-ranger-ar168372.html#main

Looks impressive to me. The new design looks good as well, and the interior looks more like an SUV than a tool for hauling stuff. The technology and electronics are at least a generation ahead of the Toyota Hilux. But then, this is Thailand and a Toyota Hilux is a Toyota, and just because it is a Toyota, they will keep market share, regardless of how outdated it becomes.

BTW, I have had a Ford Focus for about 18 months now. Regarding service, I have so far had an excellent experience at my dealer. Very responsive and no problem at all with parts availability.

I've had all sorts. Toyota is top but price is coming with it...

Been driving Isuzu D-Max Z Prestige for 2 years, just passed 70K maintenance with flying colors. Excellent handling,very low fuel consumption, 10K regular maintenance never exceeded 2000B. Definitely the best below 1milB.

Ranger is sturdy but tough for my old bottom!

I confess not having tested latest models though.

Finally, if you're in the sticks, Isuzu and Toyota have the best service network.

Just saw this review:

http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/ford/2015-ford-ranger-ar168372.html#main

Looks impressive to me. The new design looks good as well, and the interior looks more like an SUV than a tool for hauling stuff. The technology and electronics are at least a generation ahead of the Toyota Hilux. But then, this is Thailand and a Toyota Hilux is a Toyota, and just because it is a Toyota, they will keep market share, regardless of how outdated it becomes.

BTW, I have had a Ford Focus for about 18 months now. Regarding service, I have so far had an excellent experience at my dealer. Very responsive and no problem at all with parts availability.

Just saw this review:

More like re-spun PR than a review ;)

Yea Ford is a step further Toyota but, as happened to me, resale value is a suicide.

True, but Ford themselves offered me a reasonable trade-in value.

So, I am forced to ask anyone who has experience of the new Ranger ... before I get rid of my current 3.0 TDCi, which I have been pretty happy with, but is getting long in the tooth.

The bigger 3.2 is expensive, would I find the new 2.4L rather underpowered?

The new model looks somewhat bigger, is it harder to park?

My current model does bounce around a bit, but it is a truck, how is the new model ride?

Yea Ford is a step further Toyota but, as happened to me, resale value is a suicide.

True, and that is the result of Thai mentality regarding Toyotas. But do you really want to spend several years driving something you are not completely happy with, just so that you get more on the resale value later?

hi, Im looking to buy a new pick up , and was last week at the Isuzu dealer to see the dmax highlander 2,5 auto trans, looks very nice , but now this week I see the new ford ranger 2,2 auto trans , it looks great to , I like the ranger more than the Isuzu , but heard and read so many complaints about gearbox , trans problems with the ranger and also the very poor afterservice at the ford dealer , so im confused what to buy best .

I have last years d max and I love it best car I have own in 30 years and the best for resell so that is why I think it is the best car to buy in thailand but like the Thais would say up to you .

True, and that is the result of Thai mentality regarding Toyotas. But do you really want to spend several years driving something you are not completely happy with, just so that you get more on the resale value later?

Resale diminishes in importance over time. So after 10 years of ownership, there would not be much difference between a ford and toyota. Check out the prices on a 200-2002 toyota vs ford pickup. The ford is a little bit cheaper, but not by much. And those are old fords; the modern ones are much better, relatively, compared to modern toyotas. Buy yes, after 3-5 years, resale would be a more significant factor.

I hadn't driven a Ranger until last week, 2.2L only 6 months old...the ride was awful, bounced around all over the place. Both my Isuzis befor, one blew up and the other was smoking after only 70K....neither are my choice

Mine is excellent! Maybe the road was poor!

Think about how long you are going to drive it and then how much are 2nd hand model going for a few years later. Thai's are really hung up on Honda and Toyota. So they seen to resell the fastest. Ford is sort of new here never had and luck with them in the states it was a Fix Or Repair Daily - FORD but that is why there is variety and different thinking about cars.

Personally I would look for a low KM car or truck when someone else has paid all the dealers taxes and commissions. They are there Thai's tire of things quickly and want to sell but can never get there full price - Have to keep up with the Hi Sos and buy new new.

I am looking for a Mazda 3 low Km in perfect condition if any body has one for sale oh not black I hate black cars ugh.

So, I am forced to ask anyone who has experience of the new Ranger ... before I get rid of my current 3.0 TDCi, which I have been pretty happy with, but is getting long in the tooth.

My current model does bounce around a bit, but it is a truck, how is the new model ride?

The new model is not for sale yet so feed back on it will have to wait a little while I reckon.

The new model is not for sale yet so feed back on it will have to wait a little while I reckon.

I have seem enough of them out on the roads around Pattaya and they are in the showrooms.

Please explain.....

Think about how long you are going to drive it and then how much are 2nd hand model going for a few years later. Thai's are really hung up on Honda and Toyota. So they seen to resell the fastest. Ford is sort of new here never had and luck with them in the states it was a Fix Or Repair Daily - FORD but that is why there is variety and different thinking about cars.

Personally I would look for a low KM car or truck when someone else has paid all the dealers taxes and commissions. They are there Thai's tire of things quickly and want to sell but can never get there full price - Have to keep up with the Hi Sos and buy new new.

I am looking for a Mazda 3 low Km in perfect condition if any body has one for sale oh not black I hate black cars ugh.

If you find a 3 you will find a new one isn't. Much more.

I have seem enough of them out on the roads around Pattaya and they are in the showrooms.

Please explain.....

My bad, you are correct. I read an email I received as being available in august... not sure how I read that when it clearly states mid July.

2014 Isuzu rides better and is a lot more quiet than my 2012 Toyota, not sure about the 2014 Toyotas. I'm actually surprise that the Isuzu are even more quiet than diesel version of BMW.

I find that resale value of Isuzu are slightly better than Toyotas. Ford Ranger does looks nice though, so its a trade off. I say go with whatever you like more, so you won't constantly eye the other Rangers in the parking lot.

Not if you trade like for like... last March, I sold my 3 year-old Ranger 2.2 XLT, traded up to a 3.2 4x4 Wildtrak and drove away with a tad under 100,000 baht cash in my pocket.

But if someone wants to trade in a Ranger for a Revo... or Navara.... or a V-cross....