Speeding tickets Pattaya to BKK and back.

bellabenji

Got a 500 baht , on camera speeding ticket twice in the last few months. Ticket was mailed to us at home.

Now we don't drive over 120K much, sometimes up to 130K but we don't weave and pass other cars.

We keep up with traffic and occationally when its empty hit 130K. We drove that way for years and had never

gotten any speed tickets until recently.

Anyone else receiving speeding tickets on the way to Bangkok and or back to Pattaya.

Better yet, anyone know where the cameras are located. Thanking everyone in advance.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to Bangkok every week and I have had 2 in the past 3 months, also 2 at km 139 on the way to Hua Hin and 1 going to Kanchanburi. all mailed and different fines from 800 to 2000 based on how fast i was going

I received my first speeding ticket on July 5 traveling from Bangkok to Pattaya. Photo of my vehicle saying I was going 130. Gladly paid the Royal Thai Police 500 baht. This is my first camera speeding ticket! Having over 40,000 km I was glad to pay this small fine. I speed in Thailand as long as it safe to do so.

I was lucky that day,I only received one ticket, as most vehicles always travel over the maximum 120 kph. In the USA my ticket would be no less than 20 times the 500 baht fine. That's why most of the time we travel well above the speed limit as the fine is so small and the cost benefit allow us to speed. Wouldn't you agree?

I only speed when it safe, I typically travel at 3 am to drive from Pattaya to Chaiyaphum when the roads are typically free of congestion?

The trouble I find is that on certain sections of road you will see a sign saying for example 90Kmph instead of the 100Kmph for a single lane road but then you don't see a further sign saying that there is an end to the speed limit. This is also the case in many villages where the signs show a 30Kmph limit but never signs to tell you when the speed lmit ends. I never drive over 120Kmph so should be ok regarding speed cameras. If the government was serious about stopping speeding then the fines should be a minimum of 2,000B especially as there is no points deduction system here in Thailand. Also this I thought was rather stupid. I was stopped for speeding on a single lane for going over 100Kmph, admittedly I was doing about 11okmph. Paid the 400B fine and got a receipt. My wife told me that now I could go as fast as I like as I already had a ticket for speeding that day so if stopped again can show my ticket and not be fined !!!!! Crazy or what.

OP does not say what the letter said his speed was? Unfortunately you do not seem to get any leeway as I was also done last year - 130 on the 120 limit and 500 baht. To be fair at least there are radar speed monitoring signs and it does seem to depend whether the cameras are working or not.

Thanks to the two posters with km info. I will look out next time I go up that far thumbsup.gif Are the cameras easily visible as never noticed when I looked generally before?

I received my first speeding ticket on July 5 traveling from Bangkok to Pattaya. Photo of my vehicle saying I was going 130. Gladly paid the Royal Thai Police 500 baht. This is my first camera speeding ticket! Having over 40,000 km I was glad to pay this small fine. I speed in Thailand as long as it safe to do so.

I was lucky that day,I only received one ticket, as most vehicles always travel over the maximum 120 kph. In the USA my ticket would be no less than 20 times the 500 baht fine. That's why most of the time we travel well above the speed limit as the fine is so small and the cost benefit allow us to speed. Wouldn't you agree?

I only speed when it safe, I typically travel at 3 am to drive from Pattaya to Chaiyaphum when the roads are typically free of congestion?

You only speed when it is safe?

Same me, I only don't wear a bike helmet when I'm not gonna have an accident.

Anyone know what happens if you don't pay the fine or, the notification goes astray in the post? In my case the named owner is a family member in Bangkok so they could possibly just ignore the letter and not advise the vehicle user.

Presumably this may get identified when the yearly registration fee is settled at the local traffic office.

Anyone know what happens if you don't pay the fine or, the notification goes astray in the post? In my case the named owner is a family member in Bangkok so they could possibly just ignore the letter and not advise the vehicle user.

Presumably this may get identified when the yearly registration fee is settled at the local traffic office.

I've not bothered to pay the two I had, I went to pay them and the guy in the post office basically told me not to bother :-)

Tax'd the car a few weeks ago too - no problem.

At least 3 months had elapsed between fine being mailed and taxing the car.

500B your lucky...

Here in the UK the minimum fine is £100 (5,000B) and 3 point on ones licence, it is not the £100 that worries me but the 3 points on my licence, get ten points and say good by to licence for a few months.

But then I think it must have been in the early 1980's I got my last endorsement, as points were introduced in 1988 to replace endorsements, I know in 1988 my driving licences was clean and I never ever had any points on my licence, and since then I have driven over 1,000,000 miles, so must be very lucky as I know I am not the worlds best driver, but still not won the lottery yet.

Edited by Basil B

I've not bothered to pay the two I had, I went to pay them and the guy in the post office basically told me not to bother :-)

I got a ticket back home and just ignored it. It was for jay walking. 3 years later, got a speeding ticket. Guess what? Had to go to court to clear the outstanding ticket. Including the penalty, it was a lot of money.

Not sure it's worth 500B to potentially have this happen to you. Sometimes, these things take a long time to come back and bite you.

I got a ticket back home and just ignored it. It was for jay walking. 3 years later, got a speeding ticket. Guess what? Had to go to court to clear the outstanding ticket. Including the penalty, it was a lot of money.

Not sure it's worth 500B to potentially have this happen to you. Sometimes, these things take a long time to come back and bite you.

Thanks for the feedback. I would guess that it's not worth the possible hassle and best to settle when received. No doubt their systems will eventually be linked, if not already albeit with a bit of a delay.

My experience of working in Cairo is that these kind of penalties eventually find their way to the traffic office and you take a hit when the yearly registration fee is due to be paid. The traffic police are often seen with their little notebooks at traffic stops taking down details of any vehicles that have ignored either their instructions or the traffic lights - a regular occurrence in downtown Cairosmile.png

Got a tix for u turn,licence taken off me, left it like that,after a few months decided to get it back, lost the paper by then, not on the comp at the cop shop(guess they wipe them regularly,too many tourists clogging the system),so had to getter from police it was lost and went for new licence

I wonder how many 1000s of speeding tickets are being sent out every week ? When you look at how Thais drive on that road to Bangkok I would say that 6 out of 10 cars are overspeeding. Maybe they just don't pay the fines and wait for the police to knock on the door.

Hidden speed cameras are not a welcome development. As several posters have said, they're usually situated on long straight sections where there's no great risk. They do nothing to address the real problem of idiots who tailgate and weave at speed through heavy traffic. In western countries where secret spy cameras have taken root they become a form of tax with nothing to do with road safety.

Usually in the ticket it would say the location of the camera like Km 140 (mile marker) or something

On the Motorway 7, there's usually a guy hanging around in the middle a pedestrian overpass just before/after (if you're heading to Bangkok) the last pay toll where the Highway Police main building is,

Usually they'd be somewhere under shade, like under an overpass as it'd probably be too hot to stand out in the sun

Sometime when they'd set up camp in the middle of the median, you can notice that they'll have umbrellas, so if you see big umbrella in the median, probably too late to slow down.

I'd never get done at night....

Also, last year they set up GATSOs automated ones on many stretches the Buraphawithi Expressway over Bangna, those do work at night too but they all got removed for some reason

km42 on the highway BKK Pattaya

And Km 21 opposite the police station, this one is both ways.

That's the one that got me

The one opposite the police station is a guy standing on the pedestrian bridge, right in the middle, sometime they put up a picture of the King and hide behind that. I guess it's easy for them to just lug their equipment just halfway across the road from the office. If you see that the pedestrian bridge is clear, you're safe.

Considering that the national speed limit on the book is 90, setting the threshold for 120 and being fined 500-1000 baht is pretty lenient, in most civilized place being 30 over the limit is serious court/time behind bars offence

Considering that the national speed limit on the book is 90, setting the threshold for 120 and being fined 500-1000 baht is pretty lenient, in most civilized place being 30 over the limit is serious court/time behind bars offence

??????? The official speed limit on Highway 7 is 120km/h it is lowered to 90 in some places but to say the national limit is 90 is totally wrong.

Edited by RabC

Not that i am afraid of speeding tickets, I find it relaxing crusing between 100-110 in the middle lane...driving like an old man that I am.

Shoot. My pickup doesn't go that fast...

While I feel for the guys who get done (but I don't feel too bad for $15), I'm pleased to hear that they're starting to enforce traffic regulations.

The one opposite the police station is a guy standing on the pedestrian bridge, right in the middle, sometime they put up a picture of the King and hide behind that. I guess it's easy for them to just lug their equipment just halfway across the road from the office. If you see that the pedestrian bridge is clear, you're safe.

No it is not, it is a high up permanently mounted camera that captures both ways. Nobody standing on a bridge as there is no bridge there.

Maybe I am confused, the place I meant was 10km or so before Swampy turn off if heading from Pattaya. I know there is a large Police station there and I too thought there was a bridge over the highway.

??????? The official speed limit on Highway 7 is 120km/h it is lowered to 90 in some places but to say the national limit is 90 is totally wrong.

Find me a piece of law that say 120 is okay, in practice, they'll be lenient upto 120 sure, and in Expressway systems in Bangkok, this can vary from 100-120 depending on the mood of the officer

the only traffic law I found is 1979 one, which was updated a few time since 80 in metropolitan area and 90 elsewhere

http://www.thailaw.com/thailaw3_24.pdf (in Thai)

No it is not, it is a high up permanently mounted camera that captures both ways. Nobody standing on a bridge as there is no bridge there.

The cameras are mounted on the LED boards with traffic announcements. You have one close to Chachoengsao exit.