Australia: Federal court overturns approval for Adani's Carmichael coal mine

webfact

Approval for Adani's Carmichael coal mine overturned by federal court
Case brought against mine alleged environment minister Greg Hunt approved project without regard for conservation advice for two endangered species
Joshua Robertson and Oliver Milman

QUEENSLAND: -- The federal court has overturned the Abbott government’s approval of Australia’s largest proposed coal project, Adani’s Carmichael mine in north Queensland.

The court has ruled the environment minister, Greg Hunt, ignored his own department’s advice about the mine’s impact on two vulnerable species, the yakka skink and the ornamental snake.

The decision leaves Adani, which is yet to secure sufficient financial backing for Carmichael and recently slashed its workforce on the project, without legal authority to begin construction.

Sue Higginson, the principal solicitor at the Environmental Defenders Office NSW, which ran the case for the conservation group, said: “This kind of error in the decision-making process is legally fatal to the minister’s decision.

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/aug/05/approval-for-adanis-carmichael-coalmine-overturned-by-federal-court

-- The Guardian 2015-08-05

Reminds me of "The Pelican Brief".

Do the Australians think that saving a few skinks and snakes will make up for what they did to the Aborigines?

Good point. I saw someone yesterday trying to stop a guy from beating up a women on the street. Well, I put an end to that quick smart. I pulled the guy aside as quick as hell and told him "cut it out mate, do you really think stopping that guy from beating that women will make up for you did to the Aboriginies?". Well, luckily, the guy saw my point and let the other bloke continue on with his beating of the women.

Do the Australians think that saving a few skinks and snakes will make up for what they did to the Aborigines?

Good point. I saw someone yesterday trying to stop a guy from beating up a women on the street. Well, I put an end to that quick smart. I pulled the guy aside as quick as hell and told him "cut it out mate, do you really think stopping that guy from beating that women will make up for you did to the Aboriginies?". Well, luckily, the guy saw my point and let the other bloke continue on with his beating of the women.

Yeah. Doesn't really work, does it? Have another go.

Enlighten us, what did they do?

And what has this got to do with a mine?

are you kidding what the f do you know about anything, where are you from you moron

Do you think your comment will make up for what the Australians did to the Aboriginies?

Edited by Neurath