Thai expert advice on how to use escalators

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Using substandard parts and failing to do proper maintenance! That doesn't sound like Thailand at all!

Silly foreigner, Thai escalators are different, just like Thai electricity.

and Thai democracy

Escalator maintenance;

Monthly inspect for exterior damage and lubricate as required.

6 monthly; check for drive chain stretching (indicated by noises top and bottom)adjust if necessary.

Annually; check and report by qualified person for normal wear and tear and any damage to steps,wheels,handrails and floor plates.

This should be revised for use in LOS

Sounds about right to me.

New TAT slogan : In Thailand you can get killed anywhere : Zoo trolleybus, Escalator in Mall, Jetski, shot by drunk policeofficer, Koh Toilet by NS or diving, Balcony dive, Minivan, In a Nationalpark, yes the list is endless but anything is possible whistling.gif

Sounds crazy crazy.gif but next "impossible" deaths could be in Makro when they are driving around with Fork-lifts - look like its not exactly "safety first" gigglem.giffacepalm.gif

How to use an escalator? The EA was advising on cause and maintenance, not kindergarten instructions.
'... including the fatal ones in China stem from the use of substandard parts and lack of proper maintenance ...' Of course they do.
'... most shopping malls or commercial buildings use freelance entrepreneurs ...' Entrepreneurs? That's one way of describing the cowboys, I suppose.

Escalator maintenance;

Monthly inspect for exterior damage and lubricate as required.

6 monthly; check for drive chain stretching (indicated by noises top and bottom)adjust if necessary.

Annually; check and report by qualified person for normal wear and tear and any damage to steps,wheels,handrails and floor plates.

This should be revised for use in LOS

It has been. New checklist.

1. Wait until something breaks really badly. (and at least 50 people complain)

2. Or someone is killed. )

3. Someone important.

3. Then say that the serviceman has been transferred to an inactive post. (As if he was not in one already!!!!!)

BTW. We cannot complain about the sense of humour of the journo here. Title and item all really tongue-in-cheek.

Edited by The Deerhunter

"Adisai insisted that a standard escalator is strong enough to hold the weight of 500 - 600 kilograms per square meter."

Meanwhile, the Building Safety Management and Inspection Association offered some pro tips on how to use an escalator safely, Thai PBS reported.

Do not put heavy objects onto escalators.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Does the Thai language use oxymorons?

Well they all love their Oxen, and they are all morons. Which bit is hard to understand? ("Oxen" is the plural (("more than one")) of ox ((a four legged beast that eats grass and craps everywhere, and costs a lot if it dies unexpectedly (((as they all do))) and there's a farang involved(((as there always is, otherwise why would it die? (Apart from old age or malnutrition, those are expected))))))).

Forgive me if the bracket count is wrong...did my best!

" However, most shopping malls or commercial buildings use freelance entrepreneurs to save on cost.!!! "

Entrepreneurs?? Gates , Zuckerberg , etc are entrepreneurs !!

These guys who think they can repair these , along with air con guys,electricians etc,etc are nothing but chancers. Seen someone do something once and think they are qualified to do it!!

I was hoping this would be advice along the lines of stand to one side and leave room for those of us who do not forget how to walk the minute we step on an escalator to pass by on the other side.

If you want to walk, take the stairs.

I was hoping this would be advice along the lines of stand to one side and leave room for those of us who do not forget how to walk the minute we step on an escalator to pass by on the other side.

I have yet to see stairs in a Thai shopping mall. I have seen signs for emergency exit stairs, but the doors are usually locked.

I have been here so long I remmember seeing people here really unsure of both escalators and elevators. Way back then it was common to see people here perplexed as how to use both. My first Gf's parents had never been in the magic room that goes up. They were delighted and scared at the same time.

Recently i saw terribke vid from china mall. Mum with kid walks then steps fall in she throws and saves kid and the she is pulled insde escalator and disappears. When founded wad not recognizable.

Its on liveleak.com

Edited by BeefSlapper

Using substandard parts and failing to do proper maintenance! That doesn't sound like Thailand at all!

Silly foreigner, Thai escalators are different, just like Thai electricity.

It's the Burmese imported labour that dont do their work properly! Thais could not do this bad a job.

Escalators are merely stairs that move.

They are designed to be climbed.

The fact that the Thai word for escalators contains the Thai word for stairs makes clear they are indeed moving stairs.

Edited by Bluespunk

I have yet to see stairs in a Thai shopping mall. I have seen signs for emergency exit stairs, but the doors are usually locked.

It appears you simply don't pay attention--there are stairways in all malls and most have multiple sets, especially from the parking levels, which invariably are of lesser height than the shopping areas and use the stairways to reach the mall entrances on each floor.

Recently published Thai instructions for using an escalator ... you put your left leg in, your left leg out, in out in out shake it all about, do the escaltorkokee and your turn around, that's what it's all about.

in what dimension is this even remotely amusing?

I was under the impression escalator like elevators need to be serviced, inspected and certified just like elsewhere in the west. If so, I ask the experts now you know what went wrong where was the enforcement of these rules and who was asleep at the wheel or more to the point, who was taking the bride to not inspect.