US police: 007 actor Pierce Brosnan stopped at airport with knife

webfact

Police: 007 actor Brosnan stopped at airport with knife

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — Police say former James Bond actor Pierce Brosnan has been stopped at a Vermont airport security checkpoint because of a knife he was carrying.

Burlington Police Department Lt. Shawn Burke says airport authorities told him about Brosnan's encounter with Transportation Security Administration agents. He says Brosnan "was encountered by TSA at one of their checkpoints" and was allowed to proceed after the issue was resolved.

He said Tuesday that police wouldn't be called to Burlington International Airport for such an incident and they don't have a report on it. A TSA agent said he hadn't heard about it.

The Irish-American actor played secret agent 007 in movies including "GoldenEye" and "Die Another Day." He also starred in "The Thomas Crown Affair" and "Mrs. Doubtfire." His publicist hasn't returned messages seeking comment.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-06

Pierce Brosnan tries to board plane with 10-inch knife
James Bond actor stopped from carrying hunting blade onto flight at Vermont airport after officials discover it in hand luggage
By Danny Boyle

LONDON: -- Pierce Brosnan, the former James Bond actor, has been stopped by airport security as he tried to board a plane in America with a large knife.

The star had the 10-inch hunting blade confiscated from his hand luggage after it showed up during screening at Burlington International Airport, in Vermont.

Brosnan, 62, was reportedly left embarassed and angry when the knife was taken away by US Transportation Security Administration agents.
A ban on knives was introduced following the September 11 terror attacks and rules state that sharp objects must be placed in checked luggage. All knives - apart from rounded or plastic butter knives - are banned in plane cabins.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11784209/Pierce-Brosnan-tries-to-board-plane-with-10-inch-knife.html

-- The Telegraph 2015-08-06

Was the knife hidden in a secret compartment on his belt buckle ? Did they notice the wire garrote in his watch ? What about the exploding pen (click, click - wait, was it 2 clicks to arm and 3 to disarm or the other way arou.....BOOM !) I'll bet they missed the sonic ring as well. Or maybe he was wearing the super-magnet ring instead ? Did they notice that his "carry on" bag was actually a stealth wing-suit armed with air-to-air missiles ? Sheesh, a knife was the least of their worries ! w00t.gif

Having said that. I was waiting in line to go through Security for a domestic flight in Canada back in 2004. A man and his 2 sons were ahead of me. The older son (17-18ish maybe) looked like a basketball player. The kid and the father were having an animated discussion. The kid was carrying a box cutter with him ! He didn't think they'd let him take it on the plane (no sh!t Sherlock 1zgarz5.gif ) but he didn't want to throw it into the disposal bin because it was brand new. His father was asking him why he had it in the first place. The kid said it was a present someone had given him. He then asked his dad if he thought he could give the box cutter to one of the security guys to hold for him until he came back (whenever that was meant to be).

I'm standing behind them shaking my head. This is 3 years after 9/11 and he (knowingly) brings a box cutter to the airport where he plans on getting on a plane. The thing costs $2-3 maybe but he didn't want to just turf it because it had been "a present". (Who T.F. gives a box cutter as a present ?). He finally did get rid of it, reluctantly. I was dreading that he'd wait until getting to the x-ray machine before trying to talk to one of the security people. They only had one line open so of course it would have been shut down for ages despite there being no actual threat.

It was also in the news not long ago that the TSA was going to relax the rules one what could be carried on (they later changed their minds after a large public backlash). I was still in AssCrackistan at the time and the list of things they were going to let people carry on looked crazy. Those "mini-baseball souvenir bats" for one ! Holy crapsticks fatman ! Perfect for clubbing people (variations of them are sold as fish clubs).

Knives with blades less than 2.36" (6cm) ! (That's more blade than the average box cutter, like those used on 9/11 !)

This is a pocket knife I normally carried when working in Afghanistan, (second handiest tool I had next to my Leatherman) !

Under the proposed TSA plan, blades just a teeny bit smaller would have been allowed (as long as they didn't have a "locking" or "fixed" blade or a "moulded" handle).

The bats they were planning on allowing ?

Prior to 9/11 I used to fly with my Leatherman on my belt. I'd take it out and put it in the tray along with everything else at security and then it'd be back in it's belt pouch for the rest of the flight. I made 4 or 5 international (round trip) flights carrying that on my belt and only once (in Toyko) was I asked what it was. As soon as I opened the handles and the guy saw the plier jaws he just waved it on through.

The proposed TSA rules would have prevented me from carrying it onboard though, as it has a locking blade. I could have carried any of these without hassle though apparently:

Yep yep - certainly couldn't do any harm with knives (or bats) like those. facepalm.gif

(Like the one outraged comment I read - I can't take my shampoo on the plane but I can bring knives ?!!?)

But... how the issue was resolved?

The press again, they make it a big issue, no explanations. They would have taken it off him and sent him on his way.it could have been a cheese knife for cutting his cheese on the plain or a plastic one as a present for someone.

No big deal.

There's several options, they can take the knife and put it in his check-in luggage or more likely they gave the knife to the crew which handed it over to him after landing at his destination. The latter happened to me on a flight from BKK to Chiang Mai.

Logic is not high on the agenda at security checkpoints, anywhere. A few years ago, after the tightening up, my 'wife' had to surrender a tubular Buddhist amulet because it resembled - or was, according to Swampy - a bullet??? Conversely, I recall one US airport letting through a passenger carrying a number of dubious items, which a cursory check would have revealed; before later claiming more technological equipment was needed to improve security.

Are they sure it was a knife??

A 'blade'. For example, commonly known as a 'waiter's friend', a folding device with a cork screw and a small blade to remove the foil from a wine bottle was confiscated from me some years ago in Oz (A domestic flight) as the security chap considered it to be a potential weapon. Not enough details to suggest Pierce was going to do a 007........

There's several options, they can take the knife and put it in his check-in luggage or more likely they gave the knife to the crew which handed it over to him after landing at his destination. The latter happened to me on a flight from BKK to Chiang Mai.

i never heard of handing to the crew and returning something....I had a vegetable peeler (the ones where the sharp edge is inward-facing) confiscated...I suppose they thought I might peel someone.

In Hong Kong if an item is seized by the airport screeners, you may 'check it in' for 2 weeks. The airport will keep it that long and you present the paperwork to get the item back. In USA, usually into the trash or leave the security zone and find a post office, mail it away, and return to the back of the line.

I was stopped for having a 4 inch wire stripper/cutter. No blade just a blunt snipper. Was questioned coz the dude had never before seen one, and was curious.

Don't you think he would have surrendered his knife like so many thousand before him. Threw it in with the deadly shampoo and water bottles and the other tools of the terrorist trade.

I had a swiss army knife I forgot in my cary on bag - they put it in a plastic bag with my name & seat number on it and I etrieved it at the other end.

In Hong Kong if an item is seized by the airport screeners, you may 'check it in' for 2 weeks. The airport will keep it that long and you present the paperwork to get the item back. In USA, usually into the trash or leave the security zone and find a post office, mail it away, and return to the back of the line.

I was stopped for having a 4 inch wire stripper/cutter. No blade just a blunt snipper. Was questioned coz the dude had never before seen one, and was curious.

Not the Trash - they hold periodic "Auctions" of left baggage, computers, phones, tools and yes thousands of confiscated knives............you wouldn't believe the things people leave in airports.

One entrepaneur offered to clean up the bins people throw the shampoo, soaps, gels perfumes liquids etc etc etc - he has a shop in NY City that puts them all together and they are donated to schools in Africa, otherwise they would jus wind up polluting the landfills in the USA.

Logic is not high on the agenda at security checkpoints, anywhere. A few years ago, after the tightening up, my 'wife' had to surrender a tubular Buddhist amulet because it resembled - or was, according to Swampy - a bullet??? Conversely, I recall one US airport letting through a passenger carrying a number of dubious items, which a cursory check would have revealed; before later claiming more technological equipment was needed to improve security.

Overzealous Heathrow security officials 'confiscate' Toy Story cowboy Woody DOLL'S miniature gun

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2556586/Reach-sky-Overzealous-Heathrow-security-officials-confiscate-Toy-Story-cowboy-Woody-DOLLS-miniature-gun.html