Marc Faber's Palatial Complex in Northern Thailand

CMfoodie

A Palatial Complex in Northern Thailand

CHIANG MAI, Thailand — In the late 1970s, Marc and Supatra Faber lived in a 1,700-square-foot Hong Kong apartment. It was large by the crowded city’s standards, he said, but he still felt cramped.

Mr. Faber, an investment adviser from Switzerland and editor of the Gloom, Boom & Doom Report, a financial newsletter, longed for a second home where he could find peace and quiet, he said. He was also looking for a large space to display the Mao Zedong posters and trinkets that he was busy collecting in mainland China.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/21/greathomesanddestinations/a-palatial-complex-in-northern-thailand-with-room-for-mao.html

The two-level, roughly 400-square-meter, or 4,300-square-foot, home,

400m² = palatial? coffee1.gif

"Palatial Complex." There is one 400 sq meter home and one 400 sq meter building on the 8000 sq meter property. Palatial compared to the dwellings of all the other expats who hang out on Loi Kroh road.

Edited by mesquite

Is there a meaning to this thread?

Pretty close to the same. It is about 10.6 sq ft to the square meter.

Is there a point to this.

First of I don't know who Marc Faber's is and secondly my boss lived in one about 450 sq meters and my cousin who works for Microsoft lives in a bigger one on Lake Washington. Big Deal.

"Palatial Complex." There is one 400 sq meter home and one 400 sq meter building on the 8000 sq meter property. Palatial compared to the dwellings of all the other expats who hang out on Loi Kroh road.

So Marc Faber also hangs out on Loi Kroh Road?

And even if he did, who cares? Afford the man some privacy.

Sorry but to post your approval is not required

I love when the NYTimes writes about something that's in your backyard. It reinvigorates a healthy skepticism. I remember when a Times food critic did an expose that included gushing over the Kaho Soi places on Charoem Road, mistakenly combining both their names into one and recommending what almost all locals consider a tourist trap. I cycle around Marc Faber's place every couple of years. It's not palatial at all. Nice and big, sure, but tucked away and not grandiose.

Edited by luther

right you are! because Marc Faber has indeed a palatial mental superiority complex thumbsup.gif

The last few days, his predictions have been pretty accurate. The last five years, nost so much.

I remember about ten years ago he was being interviewed on CNBC or Bloomberg

He insisted that everyone should buy gold,that was 350 usd ? per ounce at the time.

I have always had the highest regard for his opinions since then

The last few days, his predictions have been pretty accurate. The last five years, nost so much.

I remember about ten years ago he was being interviewed on CNBC or Bloomberg

He insisted that everyone should buy gold,that was 350 usd ? per ounce at the time.

I have always had the highest regard for his opinions since then

he also insisted everybody should buy gold and agricultural land when the gold price topped @ $1,900 an ounce saai.gif

Someone who lets journos take pictures of the inside of his house and blabs about his Mao fetish and his other properties is more interested in publicity than privacy, I'd say.

Someone who lets journos take pictures of the inside of his house and blabs about his Mao fetish and his other properties is more interested in publicity than privacy, I'd say.

That's not fair, Hougourou - you know I have a Mao fetish myself!

True story: I met a Canadian girl that worked for Eric Sprott in Chiang Mai. Knew as much about global finance as a brick, but explained a bunch of details to me on how Sprott Gold worked. I was smitten (and also kind of drunk)

How interesting it would it be to be stuck in the Thai lounge with Faber for a couple hours sipping on free beers

I knew he was connected to Thailand somehow but had no idea it was Chiang Mai. Does anyone know where this house is? ( I want to run my metal detector over his lawn)

Rgs

SM

right you are! because Marc Faber has indeed a palatial mental superiority complex thumbsup.gif

It's good to look into your own heart. A little before bedtime.

Well, having a huge collection of Mao posters is certainly not something I would brag about. I would keep it hidden. I would not tell anyone about them. He was an absolute pig, responsible for the death and starvation of millions of his own. Not someone you want to glorify.

Edited by spidermike007

I really like Faber. I suppose he has mucho dollars, but he seems to live a fairly simple life with interests in academic pursuits, writing, reading, and study.

If those are indeed his interests, then I guess he is not overly concerned with flashing his wealth.

I do not mind the wealth disparity, so much, if it is selfmade, in an honest way, and the possessor of wealth is smart enough to be interesting and pursue things in life which are of value.

I have listened to what Faber has to say in many of his lectures, and he is a very decent sort with a well honed ironical sense of humor.

What is not to like, no matter where he might live.

I like dogs, too, and so does he.

Well, having a huge collection of Mao posters is certainly not something I would brag about. I would keep it hidden. I would not tell anyone about them. He was an absolute pig, responsible for the death and starvation of millions of his own. Not someone you want to glorify.

One of Obama's appointees resigned over her comments praising Mao; the biggest murderer in history (77 million). http://canadafreepress.com/article/who-was-chairman-mao-lionized-by-obamas-white-house

A Nazi memorabilia collection would have been better, but the Swiss are sensitive about that, since they seemed to have been huge beneficiaries of the "Final Solution."

Please do..... for some reason Marc Faber is of interest to many on this forum.

If gold ever shines again he will be worth a fortune. Love his forecasting directly opposite of what the world central banks talking heads are saying. The debt clock continues tick tock like a TB. When it goes boom boom it will be different than well you know what BB means.