Tourist visa then retire in Thailand

if I apply for a re-entry permit, which will cost 1,000 baht, do you foresee any problems if I'm out for Thailand for 6 months?

There will be no problem. You can stay out of Thailand for as long as you wish BUT you must return prior to the extension expiry date if you wish to renew the extension.

• 1 year later...

I am getting confused on a sticking point and I hope that one of you savvy people can help me. This topic seems to be the right place.

I lived in Thailand for over three years (2009-2012) on non-resident "O" visas, and then decided for a variety of reasons to relocate elsewhere in Asia.

When I first entered Thailand in 2009, I arrived with a 3 month tourist visa and I applied for a 1 year extension based on retirement, which I got without any hassles. I renewed it again in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Now I want to return to Thailand and It looks as if it is no longer possible to do this - I will have to obtain an O visa before arriving in Thailand. Or am I reading everything wrong?

And if I am wrong and this is still possible, do I have to arrive on a tourist visa or can I just arrive on the 30 day exemption (I'm a US citizen) and apply at Immigration on arrival? I plan to settle down in Chiang Mai.

6 minutes ago, palomnik said:

I am getting confused on a sticking point and I hope that one of you savvy people can help me. This topic seems to be the right place.

I lived in Thailand for over three years (2009-2012) on non-resident "O" visas, and then decided for a variety of reasons to relocate elsewhere in Asia.

When I first entered Thailand in 2009, I arrived with a 3 month tourist visa and I applied for a 1 year extension based on retirement, which I got without any hassles. I renewed it again in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Now I want to return to Thailand and It looks as if it is no longer possible to do this - I will have to obtain an O visa before arriving in Thailand. Or am I reading everything wrong?

And if I am wrong and this is still possible, do I have to arrive on a tourist visa or can I just arrive on the 30 day exemption (I'm a US citizen) and apply at Immigration on arrival? I plan to settle down in Chiang Mai.

I am sure you had to first do a change of visa status from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa (category O) before you applied for the extension of stay.

You can still do the same change you did then at Chiang Mai immigration. You can do it at any time during the 60 day entry from a tourist visa up to the last 21 days of the 60 days.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, palomnik said:

I think you are mistaken about securing an extension of stay based on retirement directly from a tourist visa. 

You will need a non O visa before you can apply for a 12 month extension of stay. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure you had to first do a change of visa status from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa (category O) before you applied for the extension of stay.

You can still do the same change you did then at Chiang Mai immigration. You can do it at any time during the 60 day entry from a tourist visa up to the last 21 days of the 60 days.

ubonjoe, perthperson: so I can still enter on a tourist visa and change it to a non-immigrant visa in Chiang Mai, and then apply for the extension? Good news!

Do you have any idea where I can find the requirements for for applying when in Thailand vs. what the consulates ask for? (back in 2009 the requirements were somewhat different than if you applied from overseas - don't know if that's true now).

Also - and I think I know the answer to this - would you know if I can just arrive on the 30 exempt period and apply? The reason I ask is that apparently I can't get a tourist visa without a confirmed ongoing ticket - something else that was not a problem in 2009. In my case, that would be a waste of money, since I won't be leaving.

1 minute ago, palomnik said:

The reason I ask is that apparently I can't get a tourist visa without a confirmed ongoing ticket

Not true an outward ticket is not required and is not asked for by most Thai Embassies/Consulates when issuing a  single entry  

tourist visa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Not true an outward ticket is not required and is not asked for by most Thai Embassies/Consulates when issuing a  single entry  

tourist visa.

Unfortunately, they ask for it in India! I'm living in Chennai at the moment.

1 hour ago, palomnik said:

ubonjoe, perthperson: so I can still enter on a tourist visa and change it to a non-immigrant visa in Chiang Mai, and then apply for the extension? Good news!

Do you have any idea where I can find the requirements for for applying when in Thailand vs. what the consulates ask for? (back in 2009 the requirements were somewhat different than if you applied from overseas - don't know if that's true now).

Also - and I think I know the answer to this - would you know if I can just arrive on the 30 exempt period and apply? The reason I ask is that apparently I can't get a tourist visa without a confirmed ongoing ticket - something else that was not a problem in 2009. In my case, that would be a waste of money, since I won't be leaving.

Requirements are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80  It says 15 days remaining on the entry but in Chiang Mai it is 21 days.

You can do it with a 30 day visa exempt entry but it would allow you much time to do it without applying for a 30 day extension of the entry for a fee of 1900 baht.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Requirements are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80  It says 15 days remaining on the entry but in Chiang Mai it is 21 days.

You can do it with a 30 day visa exempt entry but it would allow you much time to do it without applying for a 30 day extension of the entry for a fee of 1900 baht.

Thanks very much! You've made my day.

9 minutes ago, SilentRaccoon said:

Hi, all

regarding the 800,000 baht requirement for the retirement visa, will the thai immigration take the 800,000 baht or we just need to show them the bank book proof?

thanks in advance for any helpful advice

Show copies of the bank book (going back at least three months) and "immigration letter" from the bank. The balance should match. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, SilentRaccoon said:

Hi, all

regarding the 800,000 baht requirement for the retirement visa, will the thai immigration take the 800,000 baht or we just need to show them the bank book proof?

Only a letter from your bank confirming the balance and your account. And copies of your bank book will be accepted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only a letter from your bank confirming the balance and your account. And copies of your bank book will be accepted.

A friend of mine was extending his none-OA (retirement) last year at Nakhon Pathom IO using a letter from his bank stating his account balance in GBP (with conversion to BHT).  This was his 5th or 6th renewal using the required deposited funds method.  The bank letter was dated a week before he went for his renewal.

During the renewal process the IO asked to see the bank book which, fortunately, he had taken with him.  Upon inspecting the book the IO said that the last entry in the bank book was month ago and he would need to get it updated. 

My friend showed the IO that the balance in the book corresponded with that indicated in the bank's letter.  The IO said that since the letter had been produced (a week earlier) he could have withdrawn his funds. 

The IO advised my friend that the balance should be as of the day before he submits his application.  After some gentle pleading on my friends part, the IO agreed to extend his stay, but made it very clear that next year my friend must get the bank book update the day before he submits his application for an extension.

Although the IO has a point regarding date of letter and funds subsequently being withdrawn are correct, I suspect it could be a case of another IO just wanting to show who is in charge. 

4 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

The IO advised my friend that the balance should be as of the day before he submits his application.  After some gentle pleading on my friends part, the IO agreed to extend his stay, but made it very clear that next year my friend must get the bank book update the day before he submits his application for an extension.

Although the IO has a point regarding date of letter and funds subsequently being withdrawn are correct, I suspect it could be a case of another IO just wanting to show who is in charge. 

That is not unusual. Some offices (including Chaeng Wattana) want the bank book updated on the date you apply.

The best way is to have the bank book updated on the date the letter is done and that is what most offices would expect to be done. Some banks do the bank book and copies when they do the letter and stamp the copies.

3 hours ago, SilentRaccoon said:

Hi, all

Silent Raccoon there is no such thing as a retirement VISA it is an extension of your permission to stay on the grounds

of retirement, more commonly known as a retirement extension, visas cannot be extended. You will not hand over

anything but proof from your bank that the money has been in the bank for the required time and is sufficient.  

1 hour ago, phuketjock said:

Silent Raccoon there is no such thing as a retirement VISA it is an extension of your permission to stay on the grounds

of retirement, more commonly known as a retirement extension, visas cannot be extended. You will not hand over

anything but proof from your bank that the money has been in the bank for the required time and is sufficient.  

Extensions of stay indeed are not visas.

But I would say that the extensions of stay are extensions based on the original visa, even if the original visa expired 20 years ago.

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Extensions of stay indeed are not visas.

But I would say that the extensions of stay are extensions based on the original visa, even if the original visa expired 20 years ago.

Almost correct jt an extension of stay is not actually based on any visa but

you are required to have a visa of some sort to enable you apply for that

extension, whether you apply for an extension or not the moment you enter

the country on most visas the visa has been used and is therefore expired. 

3 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Almost correct jt an extension of stay is not actually based on any visa but

you are required to have a visa of some sort to enable you apply for that

extension, whether you apply for an extension or not the moment you enter

the country on most visas the visa has been used and is therefore expired. 

You're splitting rhetorical hairs.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have recently arrived in Chiang Mai intending to switch from a tourist visa to an O visa prior to applying for a one year retirement visa. I did the same thing several years ago, and I had no difficulties at that time. I currently have an appointment with Immigration to switch my visa type.

However, now I have learned that several documents have to be provided by my landlord - which was not a requirement in the past (I left Thailand the last time in 2012). I am currently living in a short-term rental apartment, and today the owner dropped the rather unpleasant notice on me that he cannot provide the required documents for me, for some reason that I don't quite understand but I suspect has something to do with his status as a landlord, or lack of it.

I am in a quandary about what I can do about this. How big a problem is this? And what can I do to remedy it? Does anyone have any suggestions?

18 minutes ago, palomnik said:

I have recently arrived in Chiang Mai intending to switch from a tourist visa to an O visa prior to applying for a one year retirement visa. I did the same thing several years ago, and I had no difficulties at that time. I currently have an appointment with Immigration to switch my visa type.

However, now I have learned that several documents have to be provided by my landlord - which was not a requirement in the past (I left Thailand the last time in 2012). I am currently living in a short-term rental apartment, and today the owner dropped the rather unpleasant notice on me that he cannot provide the required documents for me, for some reason that I don't quite understand but I suspect has something to do with his status as a landlord, or lack of it.

I am in a quandary about what I can do about this. How big a problem is this? And what can I do to remedy it? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I regret to say that it is pretty much a showstopper. Possibly, an agent could help you circumvent the issue at a price, but I would suggest you look into moving. The owner has almost certainly not submitted a TM30 (notification of alien living in his property) and does not want to be fined for failing to do so.

BritTim, thanks for your advice and comments. The question in my mind at this point is where to move, and for how long? Will any hotel provide me with the TM30 if I move there? I will lose money on the place I am staying now, but I don't want to throw too much good money after bad.

8 hours ago, palomnik said:

BritTim, thanks for your advice and comments. The question in my mind at this point is where to move, and for how long? Will any hotel provide me with the TM30 if I move there? I will lose money on the place I am staying now, but I don't want to throw too much good money after bad.

If you move into a hotel, they will routinely submit a TM30 for each of their guests (usually using an online system).

To apply for a long term (one year) extension of stay when living in a hotel, you are typically asked to show a several month rental agreement. You cannot just check in for a couple of days to do the extension. Many hotels will give you a great deal on a six month lease (carefully check the conditions though, such as electric and water charges, and whether any housekeeping is included). Bargain ruthlessly!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 3:12 AM, BritTim said:

If you move into a hotel, they will routinely submit a TM30 for each of their guests (usually using an online system).

To apply for a long term (one year) extension of stay when living in a hotel, you are typically asked to show a several month rental agreement. You cannot just check in for a couple of days to do the extension. Many hotels will give you a great deal on a six month lease (carefully check the conditions though, such as electric and water charges, and whether any housekeeping is included). Bargain ruthlessly!

Thanks, Tim and I appreciate the information. I have one more question: the TM30 is supposed to be filled out by the hotel/landlord, and then the LANDLORD/HOTEL submits it to immigration, then Immigration fills out the bottom half of the form and returns it to landlord/hotel. Correct? My current "landlord" filled out the TM30, gave it to me and expects me to take it to Immigration. I don't know if he's being disingenuous, stupid or what, but I find it hard to believe that he's right.

4 hours ago, palomnik said:

Thanks, Tim and I appreciate the information. I have one more question: the TM30 is supposed to be filled out by the hotel/landlord, and then the LANDLORD/HOTEL submits it to immigration, then Immigration fills out the bottom half of the form and returns it to landlord/hotel. Correct? My current "landlord" filled out the TM30, gave it to me and expects me to take it to Immigration. I don't know if he's being disingenuous, stupid or what, but I find it hard to believe that he's right.

The law talks about the "house master" where this is rather ambiguous. Offices vary on who they will accept as the "house master". Indeed, quite often if you have a lease agreement, you can be regarded as the "house master" in place of the owner for purposes of filing the TM30. This means you can report yourself as living in the dwelling. Below, I indicate the situation if your landlord must do it.

Although it is strictly the landlord's responsibility to file the TM30, as long as all the appropriate documentation is included, someone else can take the TM30 to immigration on the landlord's behalf. (A few offices may not allow this, especially if the TM30 is late, and a fine must be levied.) Sometimes, the landlord may not even live in Thailand, and it would be somewhat difficult for him to make a special trip just to file a TM30! It is not especially rare for the foreigner to act as postman. It is a reasonable area for you to negotiate with the landlord. Unless it is a serious chore for you to do it, maybe it is not worth arguing about.

Overall, the whole TM30 situation is an almighty mess, and you need first of all to figure out what the local immigration expects, and then decide the least painful solution to get it done.

6 hours ago, palomnik said:

TM-30 Policies vary by immigration office.  In most areas, only short-term hotels/guesthouses do it all for you (online - they apply for login-access).

I would ask for copies of your landlord's ID (front and back), housebook, and phone#.  Then take those to Immigration along with your lease and the TM-30 form he filled-out, and give it a try.  If they don't like it, they can call him.  You may still get stuck with a fine (unless the lease is dated the day before), which maybe the landlord will pay, but at least all will be fixed from that point forward.

I don't live in Chang Mai, so someone with recent TM-30 experience in that office may be able to provide a more specific/accurate recommendation. 

Edited by JackThompson

Hey, I'm running into the requirement for a bank account with a certain minimum amount of money.

Some sources say that it needs to be in a Thai bank, and others don't seem to specify.

I'm seeing that people open bank accounts as soon as they arrive (although this might be tricky if your address is at a hotel). Is there any way to open a Thai bank account from abroad, throw some money into it, then be ahead of the game when you arrive?