What to do if you break down in a remote location?

jay1980

Back in the west I had break down insurance and a number to call if I broke down...

In Thailand I have not seen any break down insurance, and most break down services are cheap enough but if I went on a road trip and broke down somewhere remote what would be the best way to get assistance?

Thanks

Edited by jay1980

1a) call wife tongue.png 1b) call stepdaughter 1c) call daughter of 1b) ... to be continued

2) call insurance (Mueang Thai)

3) call the Mazda hotline shown in the manual

4) hope for a helpful Thai nearby

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I already have insurance from Thai Life but it does not include break down cover, have a few Thai friends I can call in Pattaya and BKK who can sort me out but am thinking of doing some trips a bit further afield.

My current strategy is to go to the nearest temple/cafe/petrol station and ask for help as suggested but wondered anyone had an idea if there was nothing in walking distance. Would if I called the BiB would they be sympathetic or just tell me to p!ss off?

If its a manual transmission you can easily get a tow ( if you still have four wheels ) . An automatic will be a bit more of a hassle.

It's a manual, its getting hold of someone to give me the tow in the first place. Thanks

If its a manual transmission you can easily get a tow ( if you still have four wheels ) . An automatic will be a bit more of a hassle.

It's a manual, its getting hold of someone to give me the tow in the first place. Thanks

Just invest in a decent tow rope and stash it with your spare wheel. I have parked up in some pretty remote places having rest and seldom had to wait longer than 15 minutes before a pick up truck comes buy. Pretty sure if you flagged one down they would be willing to help. On the other hand if you are talking about off road driving you could have a long walk to get help.

Carry your own tow rope, purpose made one's are available in the likes of BigC & Tesco. Also carry jump leads and a can of tyre inflation glue.

Flag down the first taxi or commercial vehicle that comes along and ask them for help, sign language will work perfectly if you're standing there holding either of these first two items.

If you have one, you may find that your Thai credit card has the vehicle recovery service as part of the benefits which can be used once a year.

Join Car World Club then you can call them out to fix the car or transport it and you to where it can be sorted, 02 612 9999.

According to their website they look like they might still a couple of months off... great idea though.

In the meanwhile, one could search Online or wherever) for a few tow truck companies along the route and take their phone numbers with you just in the unfortunate event you need them...

Join Car World Club then you can call them out to fix the car or transport it and you to where it can be sorted, 02 612 9999.

According to their website they look like they might still a couple of months off... great idea though.

In the meanwhile, one could search Online or wherever) for a few tow truck companies along the route and take their phone numbers with you just in the unfortunate event you need them...

Couple of months off, my arse, I can't remember exactly when I joined but I've been a member of CWC for probably 18 years. But you are right, it is a great idea.

Couple of months off, my arse, I can't remember exactly when I joined but I've been a member of CWC for probably 18 years. But you are right, it is a great idea.

I second that, I can remember them opening their first office opposite Seri Center on Srinakarin road, 18 years ago.

This is where I got the idea of two months from... their website: http://www.cwc.co.th

BTW It's a shame you feel the need to talk about your butt when I was only trying to be helpful.

Cry or take a shot of whiskey. I used to have a lot of flat tires, due to the configuration of the tire and potholes. Hmmm... must of had five of them before changing tires.

I had the spare tire under the box and it was terrible way to lower it. Of the flat tires I changed zelch. Every time I had a flat, while I was standing there getting my act together

someone would appear from no where, and change the tire. I live in a rural area with lots of plantations and blue collar workers. Always amazed me. People would not take

any compensation, only smile and walk away.

They use Mondial trucks and you can pay cash to the driver, no need to be a member.

Roadside Assistance Emergency Assistance Contact

Telephone : +66 (0) 2305 8501

Fax : +66 (0) 2305 8524

Email : [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mondial-Assistance-Thailand/507024362667998

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

My Thai Wife and I travel around Thailand every year with our 4x4,.....Most of the time I can fix the problem myself, I have a lot of knowledge of mechanics and electricity. we had a few mechanical problems on remote locations like in jungles or mountains,....!

Specially on remote locations Thai people are very friendly and helpful, they go to get friends to pull you out of a ditch, get a mechanic in the next village,..tow you to the next village or town if necessary. We were always were very lucky in this. I always give them some money to thank them but sometimes they refuse,...because in the mountains every body helps everybody, if they get into trouble they expect somebody to help to....!

I made very good Thai friends this way....We are good friends with the heads of The Off-road organisations of North and South Thailand....These guys have a incredible network of Off-road people always ready to help....

I broke a rear axle (on my Willy's) on a remote location a few years ago in the South. We had mobile telephone connection (witch is not always the case) and my wife called our friend in the North, he called some friends close to our location. they came with a tow truck and got us to a good garage.

The axle was a difficult thing to get. they called there friends all over Thailand to get that exact axle. (For A Willy's. Jeep) they found one in Bangkok, put it on a bus to the south. The next day we had the axle and I was on the road again. and we paid a fraction of what it would have cost in Europe....! and made some friends on the way again....Life is sweet in Thailand...

Best regards, Off Road Pat

post-218873-0-70362200-1441092392_thumb.

post-218873-0-06036600-1441092433_thumb.

post-218873-0-31698200-1441092562_thumb.

post-218873-0-38615300-1441092685_thumb.

post-218873-0-03501400-1441092854_thumb.

Edited by off road pat