Why do so many farang buy property in their wifes name?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few sell the house (for a fraction of what is invested in it) when their 'beloved Western husband' passes away. Back to the village where they now have so many friends, 6 months down the line it has all gone, drank, gambled and donations to the new (or not new) younger Thai boyfriend.

So the security that was left for her has gone and it is back to square one !

whistling.gif It may seem strange to you....but if you are married and have offspring with your Thai wife you may want them to have a future after you pass away.

Some people may have lived with a Thai wife for 30 or 40 years.... and actually care for and love her and their children.

A million Baht providing for them a place to live after you pass away is a good choice....the money will mean absolutely nothing to you once you pass away anyhow.

You came into this world naked, without a procession to your name, and covered in slime....you will probably go out of this world the same way.

Caring for someone, doesn't mean they care for you.

No matter how much you delude yourself.

A million bhat? good luck finding a woman that will settle for a house worth that little these days.

Not to mention, I would like to ensure I don't leave this world early, shortly after spending 10Mbht on a house for a woman.

I love and care about ME.

And I know that love is true!

Karma can be such a bitch!

Good luck! You're gonna need it with that attitude!

Karma. You gotta be kidding me.

So, how much did you plonk away on something that you don't own?

If you want to build a house for your wife and family that's fine, but the Thai government should at least acknowledge that you are partial owner to something that you paid in full. As of right now, you have no claim to land or to a house. If you get sick and you need to pay for hospital bills or some other emergency do you have the right to sell that house like most normal people do in the west, or are you at the mercy of your loving Thai family? I am afraid you know the answer all too well, but you choose the ignorant option. It's ok, we all have out insecurities (myself included), but experience and not "karma" teaches us survival instincts.

Karma. I sure am having a good laff reading some posts here.

BULL S.H.I.T if you are married you are entitled to 50% of the marital assets INCLUDING THE HOUSE

FARANG!!! FARANG!!! I like how people don't like this term, but they still come to Thailand....FARANG!! YOU ARE FARANG!!!!

These people buy houses because they have no friends back home. They clearly had issues; hence they are in Thailand. They have guilt over how they treated others, and this is how they think they get back good Karma.

i have issues......but haven't lost the plot.......yet

If you cannot afford to buy house, no true love for you!!! lol. when the money runs out, love is over.......seems like a good life.

i wish every country did the same thing......come to America and spend 1 million on a house. then an American can just take it later......good investment

You are one sick puppy LOL

Well, first off 10 M Baht is a lot really the average house price in Thailand. It is closer to a luxury house here. I can't speak for Bangkok, where I am sure things are more expensive, but I can speak for Pattaya and Udon Thani. Having lived in both places, that 10 M buys you a real nice place. I would venture to say that 4 M Baht would be a good house their by most peoples standards.

I am not against renting and in fact I feel everyone should do this from the start of a relationship and/or to just get the feel of the place, and where you want to live. But after awhile, when you are committed to a Long Term Relationship or Stay, and/or decide to live here, then renting isn't the best option. Nobody can predict how your relationship will end up with your Thai Wife over time, and perhaps you will be left with nothing. But with renting you can be 100% sure Long Term that at the end of the day you will be left with nothing.

Just look at the economics of owning or renting over a 10 year period. If you want to live as cheaply as you can, and do't care about where you live, or you don't plan to stay here 10 years, then obviously renting is for you. Or sleeping on the beach. But if you are like most people I think, and prefer more luxury, then a nice place in Pattaya will set you back about 25,000 Baht a month to rent. They can be cheaper than this but I am looking at average over 10 years.

So for a 10 year average you spent 25,000 Baht a month, or 300,000 Baht a year, or 3 M Baht at the end of 10 years. If you walk away then you have zero to show for that money except a roof over your head for that time and having a landlord telling you what you can or can not do with his property. A property where you would be foolish to spend your own money to fix up the way you like as it does not belong to you.

But for this 3 M Baht you can get a decent house. Spend another 0.5 M baht and you can have it fixed up to a newer house. I know as I have done this last year. Since I prefer the Country Life over the Big City, my house also came with 25 Rai of land, or 4 Hectares. I expect to earn about 200,000 Baht this year from my crops and fruit trees, but more when my Rubber Trees are mature in a couple more years. So I now not only live rent free, but also have money coming in from my property, no matter how small. I have a huge garden to grow most of my own vegetables to and I don't have noisy people living behind me, as all of that in my own land.

There is a concern about putting the property in your wife's name, and as there should be. Especially if things go South, But there are ways where you can protect yourself from this and more ways here then you can in the West perhaps. In Thailand, there is a Land Title Lean on a property called the "Unufruct" which allows you to live on the property and do what you will with it for the rest of your life. This is similar to a Long Term Lease except the owner can not sell this property or put a mortgage on it. If the owner dies, this does not change things. Unless the new owner is you, which it would be if you are nmarried.

In addition to this Thailand has similar Divorce Laws when it comes to property acquired during the marriage. It is generally split 50/50. Of course if you don't show up in court, or your lawyer, and don't fight it, then the results would be the same as the West. So even though you can't own property in Thailand, with a "Usufruct" and Marriage, you can protect yourself somewhat. Nothing is 100% Protected in a Divorce!

Some Posters here have also pointed out leaving something for your wife and kids, and that is a very valid point they have made. How else can one do this? If you are young enough and in good health, then Life Insurance may be a good option. But what if you are not? Putting money in the bank is another option, but I venture to say that it is easier for your wife to move money than sell the house under your feet, without you knowing. If the money is in your own name then you better have a Will, and an Emergency Fund for the time it takes for her to get this money.

I am not knocking having Life Insurance or money in the Bank as both are good options. The problem I have with this is that neither you or your wife can benefit from this money right now and until you are dead. Bank Rates are so low I doubt they keep up with inflation. You are still also stuck paying rent all this time. But on the other hand, property generally keeps up with inflation over time, and even if on paper you don't own this property, you do get all the benefits as a co-owner.

So in summary, is it is wise to buy a house in your Girl Friend's Name? Is it wise to buy your Girl Friend a New Car in the West? So I think the most important part to your question is to first make sure you want to live here that long, and then make sure as best you can that the person you are with now is the one you see yourself with in 10 years. If the answer to both in "No", then simply don't buy anything here.

Sorry to all for getting carried away. . ,

It's always going to very difficult to know if the 'girlfriend' is genuine, some one in general who is half your age. I don't believe that these Thai girls actually love their partners. I have a lady who cooks, cleans launders my cloths by hand, said washing machines don't clean them properly, the perfect little house wife. I am 63, she is 36, I don't give her any money apart from a few hundred baht for cloths when we go to the Market. I pay for all her toiletries and supply the food, takes her for ever going round the supermarket as she will always look for the bargains.

She never shows any emotion but is this aThai thing, she might not see her family for a few weeks and they just look at each other when they meet up. She will send me cartoon messages online about her feelings for me, do I believe them, to a certain point. I would never buy a property in Thailand, rent only as I might want to travel at some point. Would I leave her any money, possibly, I think she has a very good heart but I some times wish she would show her feelings, if she has any for me which might convince me I am not a 'meal ticket' then I would consider her genuine.

The majority of Thais are notoriously good liars, I dont think half the time they know they are doing it,must be inbred in them, at the end of the day we are 'walking ATMs ' and millionaires to them.

It would appear that a number of skinflints are just looking for a cheap skivvy and are proud of the fact that they have snared one when they have.

People are mistaken when they say foreigners can't own property in Thailand - they can. A foreigner can 100% own a house in his own name, he just can't own the land it is built on.

Like the comment above says, maybe it is about security and leaving their wife something once they're gone. Maybe a lot of foreigners don't give it so much thought/don't care until they come into problems.

And as also mentioned above, divorce rates are high almost everywhere, not only in Thailand!

And you are mistaken also, foreigner can buy land in thailand. A minimum of 40 mln baht to invest and maximum of 1 rai of land for residential purpose, the law allows foreigners to own the land.

Quite a few sell the house (for a fraction of what is invested in it) when their 'beloved Western husband' passes away. Back to the village where they now have so many friends, 6 months down the line it has all gone, drank, gambled and donations to the new (or not new) younger Thai boyfriend.

I dare to say that my Thai Wife of 8 years, and being in her mid 30's now, and to my knowledge, has not had a drink of alcohol in all of her life. Nor has her Mother or Sister. In fact I have been to many socials including weddings and funerals here and I have never seen one woman here have a drink of alcohol. But I have seen plenty of men do this.

I know as I live in a Thai Village, and it is not anything like you have described in your post, There is no Older Thai Woman living here with a Young Thai Man, unless that is her Son. I do not know any Thai Woman who would be foolish enough to sell her property for a fraction of the price when she could get a realtor to list it at a discount, and get a fare price. But then if her husband was wise enough and caring enough as to where his wife wanted to live, and instead of buying the property close to a Bar, where he can go and get drunk everyday with his friends, she wouldn't have to sell this property. Would she?

Perhaps before you judge all Thai Women you should come here first, and spend sometime off of Walking Street. I can't count all the times I have seen the young guys come here there first time, and think all Thai Women are Bar Girls, and for hire. Even when they are with their husbands. Or better yet, go to Turkey, and watch all the Fat and Ugly Middle Aged White Women walking around with a Young Turk Boy under her arm, after a successful divorce in the West. You need to open your eyes to reality an not speak of a place you know nothing about.

People are mistaken when they say foreigners can't own property in Thailand - they can. A foreigner can 100% own a house in his own name, he just can't own the land it is built on.

Like the comment above says, maybe it is about security and leaving their wife something once they're gone. Maybe a lot of foreigners don't give it so much thought/don't care until they come into problems.

And as also mentioned above, divorce rates are high almost everywhere, not only in Thailand!

And you are mistaken also, foreigner can buy land in thailand. A minimum of 40 mln baht to invest and maximum of 1 rai of land for residential purpose, the law allows foreigners to own the land.

In a way you are both right. You can own land in Thailand up to 1 Rai with a 40 M Baht investment here, but there is a catch also. You need to keep that 40 M Baht investment here to be able to keep this land. So if you want to call this ownership, or lease, or whatever, I guess this is in the eye of the beholder.

Here is a lInk on that suject:

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/blog-thailand/doing-business-in-thailand/thailand-real-estate-doing-business-in-thailand/granting-all-foreigners-the-right-to-own-a-rai-of-land.html

Beyond the 400k marriage visa under 50 years old, (and love etc), are there really any advantages at all, financial or otherwise, to marrying a Thai?

I have known some farang who have had good marriages to Thai ladies, one currently living in the UK, must be a 14 year marriage & 2 kids. However, I would think that the failed marriage rate is higher for farangs in Thailand than in their home country.

I have often mused that although it is so much easier to find a wife in Thailand, that is like a double-edged sword. It also means that if it doesn't

work-out/ends in divorce, it is going to be much easier to find another, than it would be in our home countries, (also obviously easier to screw-around generally).

I know it may seem logical and on paper that the Divorce Rates are higher in Thailand then other places, but they actually are not. Thailand doesn't even make the Top 10 Highest Divorce Rate List. .

Here is the list by country were the USA, and the UK are both much higher than Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_demography

Divorce rates are high. Sometimes love can be short term.-----OP

Which bar did you get your official figures from ghworker2010......????

Was it from the same bar that you made your last prediction of the Oz $ dropping to 50 cents----I must go there & get some tips one day.

The official divorce rate for Thailand is very low on average and much lower than the US or even Australia for that matter. The official divorce rate for Thailand is 0.058 per 10,000 people. This is low compared to the US with 53 per 10,000 people or 2.5 per 10,000 people in Australia---http://gam-legalalliance.com/

I wonder if your stats take into account that there are two types of marriage in Thailand?

Perhaps your stats refer to divorce rates based on formal Amphur marriages.

I know from personal contacts in Thailand that many Thais have the informal Buddhist marriage, may have children and then walk away with another partner and giving no financial help to their former "wife" or children.

However, having said this, I think that the OP is referring to the divorce rate within the Farang community.

I feel sorry for the chaps that are so uncertain of their gf's that they would not commit to a long term caring, sharing, trusting relationship.

Perhaps some thinking with the large head is in order?

However, there are those Farang women who can teach the Thai ladies a thing or two about how best to rip their man off!

I know, I was that sucker in a previous life!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was that Sucker to in a previous life. Actually 2 times with one in America and one in Europe. I know that sounds bad, but when you consider I am over 50 years old now, that is 1 wife every 25 years, which is not so bad at all.

I do think it is only an assumption to think Farang Marriages have a higher divorce rate in Thailand. I have seen no proof of that. I olny know of 3 Divorces by Thai Women married to Thai Men, and one Farang, who I know from experience listening to him, He used to come home drunk every night and scream at his Thai Wife over nothing. But I also know of a lot of happy relationships with Farangs and there Thai Wives to. .

Maybe they want to leave their Wife a home and a bit of security when they kick the bucket rather than being kicked out on the street because they have not paid the rent.

Seems logical to me.

Or kicked out on the street after they bought her a house.......?

Security for the wife..but not for themselves...?

I don't see the logic.

Some people like you and I never see that logic, but its quite accurate.

Sadly for many, it's this kind of stupidity that leaves them bled dry.

There are many other ways to leave security if your relationship is genuine [time will tell], but buying a house in your thai wifes name is plain dumb.

However ultimately what one wishes to do with their money is their business, but for those that are undecided and want to know what TV members think, here are 6 pages of opinions in this thread alone.

Might add..

Renters are going to always have options...

I noticed many relationships that work..without buying.

That is more a sign of an authentic relationship.

Then there are those that fall into the category of "No House/ No Marriage"...

Poor saps....fall right into it. thumbsup.gif

"No House/No Marriage"... was there something more after this you forgot to add... "Go way"

Listening to people on this forum tell me repeatedly, don't bring more money into Thailand than you can afford to loose. What absolute rubbish, I reckon that policy cost me millions but fortunately I stopped listening to them after a couple of years.

As a number of the post's explain, foreigners cannot own land, if they have a Thai Company they can but basically the company will only be able to have 49%. The company will have to have around 4-6 Thai Nationals holding 51% of the company.

When the house and land is in the wife's name, If the wife dies or they get divorced the property has to be sold if the husband wants his share back, he is entitled to 50%

If you manage to get a good Thai wife we want them to be ok after we die.

If a divorce in the west happened, ever though it could be the wife who commits adultery and is the prim instigator the courts will strip you and award the wife most all of your assets. This does not happen in Thailand.

Regarding the law that forieners cannot own land is a very good law, can you imagine how much of Thailand would be owned by foreigners if they were allowed to own land. Look at the Chinese in a lot of western countries they own some much land and properties. This is the reason why a lot of young people in western countries cannot afford a house because the prices are so high.

The Thai law should be applied in all counties.

Hope this gives you an idea for the reason we buy house/land in our wifes namel.

A million Baht providing for them a place to live after you pass away is a good choice....the money will mean absolutely nothing to you once you pass away anyhow.

You came into this world naked, without a procession to your name, and covered in slime....you will probably go out of this world the same way.

Caring for someone, doesn't mean they care for you.

No matter how much you delude yourself.

A million bhat? good luck finding a woman that will settle for a house worth that little these days.

Not to mention, I would like to ensure I don't leave this world early, shortly after spending 10Mbht on a house for a woman.

I love and care about ME.

And I know that love is true!

Karma can be such a bitch!

Good luck! You're gonna need it with that attitude!

Karma. You gotta be kidding me.

So, how much did you plonk away on something that you don't own?

If you want to build a house for your wife and family that's fine, but the Thai government should at least acknowledge that you are partial owner to something that you paid in full. As of right now, you have no claim to land or to a house. If you get sick and you need to pay for hospital bills or some other emergency do you have the right to sell that house like most normal people do in the west, or are you at the mercy of your loving Thai family? I am afraid you know the answer all too well, but you choose the ignorant option. It's ok, we all have out insecurities (myself included), but experience and not "karma" teaches us survival instincts.

Karma. I sure am having a good laff reading some posts here.

You don't know me. You don't know my wife. You don't know her/my family. You don't know anything about my experience.

And yet you presume so much.

You are wrong on so many levels.

I am 67 and have enough experience of life, including life in Thailand, to have have learned much from that experience.

OK, maybe I am one of the lucky ones but my wife, our son and my wife's family are the bedrock of my life and whatever I choose to do for them is my business and not yours!

Peace and love man!

I love you too. Don't take this bickering personally. I'm just sticking to my beliefs.

If you really love me then buy me a house! crying.gif

You must factor into this "home purchase" vs rent equation

The loss of income on your B3M cost. I have several stocks

Paying between 6.2-8.2% per year annual dividends. If you

Take the lowest, 6.2%X3M=186000/yr.X10years=B1.86M+

Your initial B3M=B4.86M. Not going into compounding

Interest. Just as cheap to rent, no taxes, repairs, upkeep,

Major appliances to repair. You can leave the cash to

Anyone you choose, you have the freedom to move, city

To city or to a newer home ant time. I have a wonderful

Owner, first time in my adult life I have not owned property

And the freedom to relocate, no headaches about care for

Property while I travel is wonderful!!

Why anyone would buy property here is beyond me for sure ...

For me it will be to live in. I could rent, as I've been doing for the last 5 years, but I've never seen a house for rent that I'd be happy to live in. So we'll by and renovate so that it suits us perfectly. The other alternative is rent somewhere we're not 100% happy. It's beyond me why someone would want to do that.

I don't see any difference to buy a house here compared to buying in UK, USA, etc. A home's a home everywhere.

At least in the UK, USA you will be able to sell it.

here you can sell it too.

You must factor into this "home purchase" vs rent equation

The loss of income on your B3M cost. I have several stocks

Paying between 6.2-8.2% per year annual dividends. If you

Take the lowest, 6.2%X3M=186000/yr.X10years=B1.86M+

Your initial B3M=B4.86M. Not going into compounding

Interest. Just as cheap to rent, no taxes, repairs, upkeep,

Major appliances to repair. You can leave the cash to

Anyone you choose, you have the freedom to move, city

To city or to a newer home ant time. I have a wonderful

Owner, first time in my adult life I have not owned property

And the freedom to relocate, no headaches about care for

Property while I travel is wonderful!!

that's a valid argument if you prefer equities rather than real estate as an investment. I personally like to diversify. Some in property, some in equities, bonds, some money in my own business etc.

what's wrong with this?

what's wrong with this?

What's wrong with it is the guy is hanging out with the wrong crowd if he actually knows people who have done that, either that or he's been listening to too many bar stool stories.

what's wrong with this?

What's wrong with it is the guy is hanging out with the wrong crowd if he actually knows people who have done that, either that or he's been listening to too many bar stool stories.

I think this is more a bar stool story as you point out. a) most properties will appreciate in the long run so why sell it for less and than initially bought and B) say if I pass away and my wife decides to sell one of our properties for a good reason, why not? These are personal decisions and whether someone decides to keep the house or sell it after the husband or wife passes away is up to everyone themselves. this is like a boring Sunday morning topic...

In general, individual foreigners can not own a house or land in thailand. So they have the wife buy it. I believe there was a bit of an issue or crackdown with the thai authorities checking on legitimate thai wives, so that they were not just fronts and a back door to let foreigners get money into the country and into a house. Foreigners can buy condos, with some restrictions.

I'd call that a pretty grey area.... there are no black and white rules, when it comes property in Thailand... Which may make some gun-shy. I have been on both sides of the fence.... It just depends on how one handles it, and also what areas one would talk about..... It is certainly up to each individual, and the circumstances that may evolve. I call it, the life happens scenario.... Maybe in the end it just depends on the character of the person that one will deals with. If they have the money and do it? That is their decision. Thailand has changed so much over the years, but so have other countries.

My advice is to take it day by day.... I am where I want to be and understand a little better. But it took years, and I find I am happy.....wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

Yet better said, keep your ducks in a row.... Then you will find peace.....biggrin.png

The women who've claimed to love me have gone and still do go out of their way to titillate me.

It's GOT to be a problem at your end

You've never had a proper relationship with a woman, as you have posted many times.

No wife, no children, no family.

Hookers is all you ever had, so not all that surprising an outcome from your POV.

Sure there are loads of guys on this forum that never tried hookers, but never trying a real relationship is just weird!

I have tried having real relationships for many years, but sadly they all turned out to be hookers one way or another sad.png

Of course there are many definitions of what hooker may mean.

To me, the moment i am suppose to provide living allowance and/or support the family, it is a hooker.

You should ask yourself why you make the same mistakes over and over again. Learn from past mistakes and make a better choice next time.

May be because I am not delusional and call spade a spade.