Garbage collector dies in Pattani shootout

webfact

SOUTH CRISIS
Garbage collector dies in Pattani shootout

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A municipality garbage collector was shot dead in Pattani's Panare district yesterday morning. The attackers fled with the victim's bag containing cash and a .38 pistol.

Anant Fongnuan, 51, was killed at around 9am on Panare Road in Soi 8. His body was found in the driver's seat of a bullet-ridden garbage truck and 50 spent bullet cases from AK-102 and M-16 rifles were recovered.

Witnesses reported that four assailants on two motorcycles showed up and opened fire at Anant in front of many onlookers, who ran for their lives. One assailant opened the door of the truck and shot Anant at close range before getting away with his bag.

Pol Lt-Colonel Somsak Nitem, Panare deputy superintendent, said the victim collected garbage with his four co-workers from early morning around the municipality. As part of their routine, Anant's colleagues would stop by the area to have a meal and tea while Anant stayed in the truck.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Garbage-collector-dies-in-Pattani-shootout-30268446.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-09

I am scratching my head wondering why someone put a hit on a garbage collector??? My first thought was woman problems, but it was probably just a robbery with extreme violence. Taking the bag would indicate someone expected to find a lot of money.

No one is safe...not even Buddhist monks...

The relative peace Thailand is experiencing at the moment...could evaporate into anarchy at any time...

Many places in the world are at risk for organized violence in today's world...

Economic stagnation, high unemployment, racial and religious divide, political unrest...

Best to have an exit plan and keep some currency close by...never know when the poop will hit the fan...

I thought "shootout" meant people firing at each other... Even if the victim had managed to get his .38 out of his bag, I'm not sure going up against an M16 and AK102 would still qualify as one. Looks like plain murder to me...

Edited by Docno

Come on now a garbage collector who is armed while doing a job that few individuals would even apply for??? Then to be killed and robbed of a 38 which compared to what the killers were using may be considered some what at a disaqdvantage in firepower.

I would not even hazard a guess to the motive nor what any of the individuals are / were involved in. ???

Come on now a garbage collector who is armed while doing a job that few individuals would even apply for??? Then to be killed and robbed of a 38 which compared to what the killers were using may be considered some what at a disaqdvantage in firepower.

L

I would not even hazard a guess to the motive nor what any of the individuals are / were involved in. ???

It's a well known fact that organised crime is involved with waste collection and "disposal" in the USA. I just guess that Thailand is among many countries with a similar problem. The fact that the driver carried a 38 pistol points to that may be the case.

It actually costs money to be a garbage collector like many other jobs in thailand

You have to pay them to get on a crew but then you get some share of the pie etc

I remember maybe a decade ago a young guy borrowed 10,000 from village head to get a job in the garbage collecting industry... Amazing Thailand indeed. :)

It actually costs money to be a garbage collector like many other jobs in thailand

You have to pay them to get on a crew but then you get some share of the pie etc

I remember maybe a decade ago a young guy borrowed 10,000 from village head to get a job in the garbage collecting industry... Amazing Thailand indeed. smile.png

Correct. Last year a job became vacant on a local government garbage truck here. It paid 9K baht a month. The bloke who got the job had to bribe the foreman 26K to be appointed. Many people cannot be bothered to sort their rubbish, the dustmen collect cans, glass etc and sell it to recyclers. In addition, having a Government job means you can get easy credit from banks.

My comprehension sucks on this one. So his colleagues went for a meal every morning while he sat in the truck? So who was it that knew or reported that he had a bag full of cash and a .38 inside it? Surely not his mates? Maybe he wasn't sharing the wealth with the boys then? Whatever the case they were severely "iced" up or very angry to put that much lead in the lad. Overkill doesn't really seem to describe it, pretty heavy hardware too, to knock a garbage collecter

I thought "shootout" meant people firing at each other... Even if the victim had managed to get his .38 out of his bag, I'm not sure going up against an M16 and AK102 would still qualify as one. Looks like plain murder to me...

So how did they kow he had a .38 pistol. If you read the story 4 co-workers went for food, 4 men turned up & started firing at him. Maybe just a coincidence but could be inside job.

Can someone please remind me where are we living and what century ?????

Any American city.

Current century.

From the sounds of it.

coffee1.gif

Sounds like you have never been to USA. Total gun homicides in Thailand is higher than USA, and Thailand has about 1/5th the population.

"He who steals my wallet steals trash"

RIP.

Can someone please remind me where are we living and what century ?????

When is this kind of stuff going to stop......

Why would we be surprised. Pattani is in bandit country. They have to keep the numbers up and garbage collectors and 9 year old boys are all numbers.

Thailand need to give 4 provinces to the Islamists in the South. Let them form their own state and if there are ANY incursions declare war, job done. Saves lots of money

at the same time saves lives

Good thing they had AKs. Garage men a dangerous. I guess they had his friends pinned down while they grabbed the cash. RIP evil drug dealing scum. Did they put him in the back of the truck?

Where does it say anything about Drugs?

Sorry scum recyclers... with guns and cash. Most recyclers are hit with a group of guys with AKs